• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: WCQF G5 Kings @ Oilers 5/1/24

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rents are due, bills need to be paid, it's the 1st of the month so I'm sure a lot of people are pissed as is. Hope the Kings don't pile on to that with a loss and elimination tonight.

Not feeling too hot about this one, the team just doesn't seem to have that fire and grit to extend this series. And if that happens it'll be a 7 game elimination in 2022, a 6 game elimination in 2023 and a 5 game elimination in 2024. Team is going backwards.

Been reading Teh Blog and it's the usual cliches from the players - backs against thw walls, we just need to win one game right now, blah blah blah. The two alarming ones to me were from TOTM who said we will see what type of character this team has and Jill who said a) replicate G4 effort and keeping doing that and b) not stressing about the PP.

Excuse me? G4 was the best effort this team put forth in the series yet they lost 1-0 and the Kings' special teams have killed them on both the PK and PP. I'd try something entirely different - I don't know what yet - because there is literally nothing else to lose tonight. Whatever has been done or "replicated" Jill hasn't worked worth a damn.

Back to TOTM, the over arcing theme to his statement is this team doesn't seem to HAVE any character. No guts. No sacrificing. No win at all costs mentality. No aggression. No physicality. These all build pieces of character that put together give you an identity to execute that character to will your team to a win. I guess it's put up or shut up time now eh boy?

Been super busy so haven't checked the line up but hoping Rittich starts. If Talbot goes in I think that's the signal for the white flag because he hasn't looked good this series at all. And if tonight is it, I hope it's the last we see of some players and especially upper management.

Still going to hold out hope but expecting disappointment. Go out throwing haymakers if you're going to go out.

Let's Go Kings!

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really not expecting much, I hope they surprise me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doughty really chirping similarities between being down ten years ago and now. Biggest game of the year was Game 3 and he really had some errors. Rather him not feel the need to try to say anything at this point honestly.

5 on 5 team has looked okay, but to sit here and have zero pp goals to Edmonton running a 50% rate is insane.

If Kings somehow get a pp goal or two, they could actually steal this thing, but we haven't seen it even look dangerous yet. Got some guys who could break some slumps, which would also be nice. Arvidsson and Moore are guys I think could get on the score sheet. Be nice to see Fiala, Byfield, and Dubois get involved.

I mean. I'll be watching as always. Maybe last game for Blake, so that's not the worst thing.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of similarities between now and 10 years ago:

Kings are down 3-1
Kopistar, DoughBoy and Lewis are names of 3 guys that are 10 years older

Hmm what else?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doughty really chirping similarities between being down ten years ago and now. Biggest game of the year was Game 3 and he really had some errors. Rather him not feel the need to try to say anything at this point honestly.

5 on 5 team has looked okay, but to sit here and have zero pp goals to Edmonton running a 50% rate is insane.

If Kings somehow get a pp goal or two, they could actually steal this thing, but we haven't seen it even look dangerous yet. Got some guys who could break some slumps, which would also be nice. Arvidsson and Moore are guys I think could get on the score sheet. Be nice to see Fiala, Byfield, and Dubois get involved.

I mean. I'll be watching as always. Maybe last game for Blake, so that's not the worst thing.

I could totally see them stealing this one too just to tease us and then get the doors blown off at home in G6. Really it just delays the inevitable and creates a false sense of security.

Now if they win in dominating fashion, there may be a pulse left. But no matter how much they want to hang their hats on the effort in G4, it was very easy to see/read they are mentally defeated. And when your head ain't right your body ain't right.

Again, hoping I'm wrong but tonight is it. And I hope Blake is treated like Gallant was and has to catch a cab or a bus to the airport back to LA. Pretty sure he will be in attendance tonight - his job should be on the line.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weak goal, one Rittich has to have. Hope they don't unravel here.

Already looking like a sense of complacency kicking in, the Kings look like they normally do. Nothing saying desperation time.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The upsetting part is Kings are actually controlling play. But despite shots being 7-2, Oilers have still had the more dangerous chances. Which is sort of how I felt about Game 4. Shots were 33-13 but everything seemed like it came from the outside for LA.

Definitely a weak goal, which is maddening. Rittich has played fine, but it's surreal that this is our goaltending situation. LA had it so on lock forever, and now the big move for a team looking to take the next step was a goalie tandem costing $2mil total.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost had a PLD highlight. Would like him to probably take the shot there instead of trying to pass it across. That's happened twice for him. But at least he's involved and we're seeing him.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost had a PLD highlight. Would like him to probably take the shot there instead of trying to pass it across. That's happened twice for him. But at least he's involved and we're seeing him.

Ya just shoot that

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Trevor Moore struggles continue. Terrible late penalty

He's someone I'd like to see moved this summer. Dude scores 31 goals during the season, hit like 17 or whatever 2 years ago.(last year injured a bit if I recall) yet his PO stats are not good at all considering this is his third year as LW2.

He gets a lot of playing time but can't produce come April not to mention his $4+ million cap hit.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's someone I'd like to see moved this summer. Dude scores 31 goals during the season, hit like 17 or whatever 2 years ago.(last year injured a bit if I recall) yet his PO stats are not good at all considering this is his third year as LW2.

He gets a lot of playing time but can't produce come April not to mention his $4+ million cap hit.

I mean. The Thousand Oaks kid narrative means is pretty much untradeable. I wonder if he'd matchup better against any other team. His playoff stats might be rough but it's all against Edmonton. But yeah...he hasn't looked strong at all.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That last penalty is actually on Fiala. Failed to get it deep and then made that line change. McDavid was just barreling down on that defenseman 1 on 1. Big pp here (aren't they all)

Big Save Dave. *Actually that seems like it went in*