• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wandy Rodriguez - Pirates close to landing

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind giving up Owens and Cain, but I think Grossman is a huge mistake. No matter what anyone thinks about the power, he gets on base is a switch hitter, and can play good defense at a corner. As a hitter he profiles like Ben Zobrist, IMO. And there aren't too many guys like him who can get on base at such a young age.

I still hate the trade, and I think there are concerns about Wandy himself, acquring him in his age 33, 34, and 35 seasons, after he has shown some decline in recent years.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind giving up Owens and Cain, but I think Grossman is a huge mistake. No matter what anyone thinks about the power, he gets on base is a switch hitter, and can play good defense at a corner. As a hitter he profiles like Ben Zobrist, IMO. And there aren't too many guys like him who can get on base at such a young age.

I still hate the trade, and I think there are concerns about Wandy himself, acquring him in his age 33, 34, and 35 seasons, after he has shown some decline in recent years.

If that is indeed his real age. Not saying it isn't, but over the years a few players out of the D.R. have lied about what their true age is.

I personally like the trade, though. It was an agressive move by Pirate management/ownership. They haven't made a trade like this for a long, long time. The two additions of Lee and Ludwick from last season were had for basically nothing.

You have to give to get. I really hope Rodriguez provides a solidifying effect to the rotation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodriguez has been a productive pitcher for a few years now, and he's a lefty, which plays nicely in PNC. Owens has a ceiling at Wandy, so that's not an issue. Cain is a huge unknown. Grossman is our third best outfield prospect, and he's the best player we gave up in the trade.

I think this is a solid trade, and it will help us win this year and next. I think we're a bat away from contending legitimately for the Central.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mixed Feelings

This session is my first time online since before the trade, so I'm a bit late with my thoughts. Here's a summary of my "mixed feelings:"

On the good side: Pitching, especially starting pitching, is the most important part of winning baseball. Wandy SHOULD improve the Pirates' starting rotation, presumably replacing Correia. Even though Wandy is in decline, the change in home parks should help him, and he's a better option than Rudy Owens RIGHT NOW. It's also good that Houston is paying a significant part of Wandy's remaining contract.

On the bad side: The Pirates paid a HIGH price in prospects for a pitcher who clearly is in decline. I hate to see so much potential FUTURE value given up by the Pirates.

Time will tell. If Rodriguez helps the Pirates win the World Series..... or even the NL Championship, I will rate the trade as a "win." On the other hand, if Owens becomes a solid major league starter, and/or Grossman a solid major league outfielder..... then the value represented by a combined 12 years of control of those two players (without even considering Cain) would seem to be MUCH higher than a year or two of Wandy Rodriiguez.

Either way, I gotta give credit to Huntington for doing something significant. As previously stated, time will tell if it was a good "something."

itsneon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We have been getting these kind of prospects for 15 years and only a few ever develop into decent players. The key is if he stays healthy for the next 2 1/2 years.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So there is a rumor that the Pirates might consider trading Jeff Karstens, if they do that I will be pissed. For the last 2 years he has accepted contracts from us for much less than he could have received through arbitration, show the man some respect and just let him pitch for us for the rest of the season, then pay him what he is worth.

I may be biased since he is one of my favorite Pirates, but still, he is a solid #3 starter that will be pitching out of the #5 slot. I realize that he will draw more interrest than Correia, but I would still hate to see him traded.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So there is a rumor that the Pirates might consider trading Jeff Karstens, if they do that I will be pissed. For the last 2 years he has accepted contracts from us for much less than he could have received through arbitration, show the man some respect and just let him pitch for us for the rest of the season, then pay him what he is worth.

I may be biased since he is one of my favorite Pirates, but still, he is a solid #3 starter that will be pitching out of the #5 slot. I realize that he will draw more interrest than Correia, but I would still hate to see him traded.

I saw that as well. I think it'd depend on the return, but he's shown his value is higher than Correia/Bedard in his past few starts. I'd look at moving Correia. I'm certain there are teams that want him. Heck, the Red Sox are desperate. I just don't think I'd want anything from them...

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i love karstens too.
hard to believe his stuff works.
he is like a greg maddox-lite. savvy and moves around, changes speed, gets outs and deeper into games.

would have to be a nice return to make it worthwhile.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hate that we gave up Grossman... He was my favourite position player prospect in the system...

We did pay a high price as mags stated... I guess it all comes down to results at this point.. If the season goes well.. Wandy helps.. the team stays hot and gets into the post season we can deal with the grumblings that might arise from Wandy declining or Grossman being a good player in the majors.... Getting into the post season will make it all worth it.

The real belly aching would come if the bucs fall short... Wandy wanes and Grossman is a star waiting to happen... That would really suck

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
wow nice post showing the PNC stadium and how many homeruns it would have saved Wandy!