• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Voynov suspended indefinitely

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds nice but the decision isn't up to her. It's the DA's call whether a crime was committed or not and if he should be charged.

Ox

Very true and for good reason. If the victim is afraid or has a change of heart, the abuse is likely to continue.
This will be a tough case for the police/DA because if they are married she doesn't have to take the stand, a girlfriend would have to testify.
If she refutes every thing saying she didn't understand what the cops where asking in the room then it will be even harder. If they didn't get an translator, that could be an issue.
I am not saying he didn't do something. The fact that neither lawyer will say what really happened, points to a problem. I just don't think it will be easy to get this to trial.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not "not touched" the phrase I am seeing is " not struck" or "not hit/punched"
This could mean ( and I am just making stuff up) that they were yelling. Slava grabbed her arm. She pulled away but fell and her head hit a door/table/statue of Putin

ouendan1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agent appealing suspension.
Voynov not cooperating ??
Lawyer says he is.

Strictly focusing on this. It's not that Voynov isn't cooperating. I read there's a part in the CBA that gives the player the right to delay the NHL's investigation while a criminal investigation is ongoing. It sounds like Voynov exercised that right.

Having said that, if he's going to try to appeal the suspension and get back to playing, I don't see the league looking favorably at that if a player isn't allowing the NHL to conduct their own investigation.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strictly focusing on this. It's not that Voynov isn't cooperating. I read there's a part in the CBA that gives the player the right to delay the NHL's investigation while a criminal investigation is ongoing. It sounds like Voynov exercised that right.

Having said that, if he's going to try to appeal the suspension and get back to playing, I don't see the league looking favorably at that if a player isn't allowing the NHL to conduct their own investigation.

There is no way Voynov's lawyer would allow him to talk to the nhl. They keep records of those meetings. Those. Records could be subpoenaed up to three years from now.
Voynov (through his lawyer) will say nothing happened. Let him play. If you have any evidence that he should be suspended please present it. There have been dozen of players that have been arrested and not suspended.

This says to me that come Monday the DA is going to drop the case. Otherwise Voynov's lawyer would keep his mouth shut.

Another quote that bothers me

Per @reallisa story on Voynov hoping to have suspension lifted: From what I understand, he must be willing co-operate in the NHL's investigation. He has -- so far -- declined to do so, which is his right. But it won't be lifted until that happens.

If it is his right not to talk, they can't punish him forever for not talking. That takes the right away

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just asked about this on the Williams thread, should have looked here first.

I agree this has been in limbo and really, the indefinitely suspension seems overkill but based on the Rice incident and others around the sports world we understand why it was done. I think it was a bit excessive but that's another issue.

Crooked cops, in some cases teachers, get to keep working while they are being investigated so I don't see how this wouldn't apply to Voynov but the NHL has a very hard line stance on DV and showed it.

Hopefully Voynov just does what he is supposed to, and then gets back to the rink ASAP. Sure sounds to me the case is getting weaker by the day for the DA.

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, the District Attorney's offices these days jump at any opportunity to prosecute a "celebrity" or sports player. They file charges first, then hope the evidence sticks later, that way they get the media attention first. Another problem with our judicial system.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a related story RR44 left practice early
The Kings are 160.00 short of calling someone up.
If the Nucks game was Sunday there would be no problem

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a couple of thoughts to weigh in on this subject since it's almost 6 hours to game time. First the good news is the DA only has 32 days left to make his decision so time is running short. Next I can fully understand Voynov not talking to the NHL. Whatever he says would become evidence in any criminal action against him. Why give the DA any more to work with than he already has. Which looking at how long it's taken to decide whether or not to prosecute can't be very much.

Ox

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a couple of thoughts to weigh in on this subject since it's almost 6 hours to game time. First the good news is the DA only has 32 days left to make his decision so time is running short. Next I can fully understand Voynov not talking to the NHL. Whatever he says would become evidence in any criminal action against him. Why give the DA any more to work with than he already has. Which looking at how long it's taken to decide whether or not to prosecute can't be very much.

Ox

Why only 32 days? I was hearing 1-3 years depending on the charge.
I agree there is not much. They have her injuries. They have the hospital staff statements. They have mr and mrs voynov statements.
The lawyers will request all the statements tossed because the parties are poor English speakers and no one got a translator. Hard to build a case just a cut on the head.
I am not claiming nothing happened, just no one is going to say what happened, and anything they already said the lawyers will argue wasn't what they meant.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why only 32 days? I was hearing 1-3 years depending on the charge.
I agree there is not much. They have her injuries. They have the hospital staff statements. They have mr and mrs voynov statements.
The lawyers will request all the statements tossed because the parties are poor English speakers and no one got a translator. Hard to build a case just a cut on the head.
I am not claiming nothing happened, just no one is going to say what happened, and anything they already said the lawyers will argue wasn't what they meant.

The DA has until Voynov's court date (Dec 10) to decide whether to indict or not. December 10th is 32 days away. Yeah if it goes to court it could take years to decide.

Ox

KickSave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right to a speedy trial - LOL

This is such a joke and now a witch hunt. The DA WANTS to get him on something just to make an example and no doubt bolster their career. I never take this stuff at face value and that the DA is really trying to figure out what happened. A big case like this draws national attention.. again... an effing joke.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right to a speedy trial - LOL

This is such a joke and now a witch hunt. The DA WANTS to get him on something just to make an example and no doubt bolster their career. I never take this stuff at face value and that the DA is really trying to figure out what happened. A big case like this draws national attention.. again... an effing joke.

He waved his right to a speedy trial when he posted bail. I'm not so sure about the "national attention" you talk about. I mean this is a Los Angeles Kings player we're talking about. How much coverage did you see on a national level on the Kings dismantling of the Canucks last night? East coast bias on hockey is still alive and kicking. Oh it'll be a story line on the NHL Network for a day or so but after that you won't see much outside the LA media until the case is settled.

Ox

KickSave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He waved his right to a speedy trial when he posted bail. I'm not so sure about the "national attention" you talk about. I mean this is a Los Angeles Kings player we're talking about. How much coverage did you see on a national level on the Kings dismantling of the Canucks last night? East coast bias on hockey is still alive and kicking. Oh it'll be a story line on the NHL Network for a day or so but after that you won't see much outside the LA media until the case is settled.

Ox

I'm in another state and it's in the newspaper here. It's not about the team it's about the incident, just like with Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson. The attention the DA will get from the case if he decides to prosecute will be very large and on a national level because a lot of people will be watching and waiting on the outcome, NHL fans or not (Just like they are with the NFL). If the DA is deciding to run for office (maybe to be a judge) or even go into the public sector, putting away a higher profile (even thought it's just Voynov) person is good for the resume, as bad as it sounds. But there's no way he will attempt to levy charges if he doesn't have enough evidence, it would be embarassing (and a waste of tax payer money) if he loses. I guess you could say it's like that any way, but I guarantee if this was Joe Schmoe off the street it wouldn't be dragging out like this. It's a hot topic right now, abuse that is, and the witch hunt is in full effect for any person in any type of limelight (celebrity/sports player/etc).. I don't think he did it, but I mean, I wasn't so there so it's my opinion.. but it seems like this is being blown way out of proportion.

KickSave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - I would never try to start an argument with you Ox haha just stating my opinion on the matter. :D

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - I would never try to start an argument with you Ox haha just stating my opinion on the matter. :D

Oh I didn't think this was an argument. Just a differing of opinions being stated. But since you are outside the LA area (in another state even) I have to bow to your opinion. It may be bigger news outside of SoCal than it is here. The only place I see any discussion here is on Kings related web sites. Maybe once the court date gets closer the news may pick up but I really don't think it'll be a news story here in the LA area until a decision is made by the DA's office.

Ox

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friend sent me a text. He is a twitter user and I am not..
From rich Hammond
So, Slava Voynov is on the ice post-practice working with John Stevens…

Don't know what it means.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friend sent me a text. He is a twitter user and I am not..
From rich Hammond
So, Slava Voynov is on the ice post-practice working with John Stevens…

Don't know what it means.

That seems rather odd. Since he's suspended by the NHL and he isn't supposed to practice with the team or as I understood it, have any contact with them. Stevens is one of the Kings coaches. Not sure it's legal but I can't see the team taking that chance without permission from the league.

Ox