• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2014 Recruiting Target List

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
iB_Tyson Brandon Tyson
Talked to Frank Beamer dawg! Tech interested in me

2014 OL. 6'1 295 from Midlothian.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamil Kamara is transferring to Lake Taylor. Questions about the legality of it though...

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cavs_Corner Brad Franklin
Per Mike Farrell (@rivalsmike), Collegiate junior quarterback Wilton Speight will reclassify to the 2014 class.
10 hours ago
Retweeted by jermadams

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cavs_Corner Brad Franklin
Per Mike Farrell (@rivalsmike), Collegiate junior quarterback Wilton Speight will reclassify to the 2014 class.
10 hours ago
Retweeted by jermadams
Yea I heard about this over the weekend. He contacted Shane to let him know and apparently Shane was pretty happy about it (and why not it gives VT a better chance at landing him). Not sure why he is doing it, I guess he is young enough where he will still be 18 when his "senior" season rolls around

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yea I heard about this over the weekend. He contacted Shane to let him know and apparently Shane was pretty happy about it (and why not it gives VT a better chance at landing him). Not sure why he is doing it, I guess he is young enough where he will still be 18 when his "senior" season rolls around

It gives him an extra year to develop and separates the competition since VT is very deep at QB in 2013.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

From what I saw on Twitter today, he was injured most of last year. I guess taking another year could be compared to taking a medical redshirt.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I saw on Twitter today, he was injured most of last year. I guess taking another year could be compared to taking a medical redshirt.

I saw that on the FREE rivals side as well. It looks he will only be considered the 4th best QB in the state this year, at best (behind Hodges, Burns, and Hackenberg). In that respect, maybe another year would be good for him to get healthy, mature, boost his stock, and be considered the best QB in the state next year. That may be a little more appealing to the in state schools (as well as OOS), especially if VT and UVA whiff on these other 3 guys this year?? Just a thought.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I saw that on the FREE rivals side as well. It looks he will only be considered the 4th best QB in the state this year, at best (behind Hodges, Burns, and Hackenberg). In that respect, maybe another year would be good for him to get healthy, mature, boost his stock, and be considered the best QB in the state next year. That may be a little more appealing to the in state schools (as well as OOS), especially if VT and UVA whiff on these other 3 guys this year?? Just a thought.
It seems like a smart decision if he was hurt and missed most of his Jr season since that is when most recruiting happens.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like a smart decision if he was hurt and missed most of his Jr season since that is when most recruiting happens.

I see your point, and don't disagree.

My question is if he will be a senior in the fall this year, he will not be able to play in the fall of 2013 because of VHSL eligibility rules..right?? Or because of his age and not playing at all or minimal this past year, will he get an extra year (medical redshirt type situation)?? IF he doesnt get an extra year then I'm not sure if this would be a good move or not. Seems like he could kinda fall off the radar a bit. I guess what I was saying is that the in-state BCS schools have either offered or will offer Hodges, Hackenberg, and Burns (minus maybe VT and Burns). The chance of them offering Speight in conjunction with these guys (and possibly other high profile QB recruits from OOS) is not as high...especially if these guys start showing serious interest. I think he would be better served to stay an extra year because of these reasons as well. He gets an extra year to "have the spotlight" without being overshadowed this fall by Burns and Hodges in AAA and Hack in the independent league.

Last edited by a moderator:

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
VT is making progress on Brown from what I've been told. It's important to note Brown started to like UNC when Davis was there and landing 5* DL every year. Things are starting to change. Early thoughts are that he will stay in the area so it's important to beat these 2 teams down on the field and for guys like Gayle and Collins to continue to prove themselves on the field. He's going to have the chance for immediate PT(Gayle and Collins will be gone for his frosh year) and the staff will sell that big time, I think.

They should definitely engage him. VT has a lot to offer, and still has the advantage of being a somewhat local school.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
usually when kids re-classify, dont they transfer to a private school? its much easier to do so, and u get an extra year without a problem. if he's that good, could probably get it paid for as well.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

My question is if he will be a senior in the fall this year, he will not be able to play in the fall of 2013 because of VHSL eligibility rules..right?? Or because of his age and not playing at all or minimal this past year, will he get an extra year (medical redshirt type situation)?? IF he doesnt get an extra year then I'm not sure if this would be a good move or not. Seems like he could kinda fall off the radar a bit. I guess what I was saying is that the in-state BCS schools have either offered or will offer Hodges, Hackenberg, and Burns (minus maybe VT and Burns). The chance of them offering Speight in conjunction with these guys (and possibly other high profile QB recruits from OOS) is not as high...especially if these guys start showing serious interest. I think he would be better served to stay an extra year because of these reasons as well. He gets an extra year to "have the spotlight" without being overshadowed this fall by Burns and Hodges in AAA and Hack in the independent league.

I think he would have received a VT offer regardless because we were going to take 2 QBs, or so it appears. That may not be the case with other schools, so staying could help in that regard, but VT is looking at two QBs and wouldn't receive commitments from two top recruits. It may take longer than Speight wanted to get an offer, so by showing he is healthy this fall, it would open up the potential for earlier offers. Anyways, I think it's a good move.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

My question is if he will be a senior in the fall this year, he will not be able to play in the fall of 2013 because of VHSL eligibility rules..right?? Or because of his age and not playing at all or minimal this past year, will he get an extra year (medical redshirt type situation)??

FWIW i think age and games played are a factor also, he will get an extra year.