• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPDATED 1/10/2013 10:30PM: Offensive coaching staff for next year

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, we really have no idea what is going on behind those doors. We are going off what twitter says for the most part. They could be interviewing 12 guys and we would never know. Just let it work itself out.

hokieone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You surrous??

VT today is not what VT was back then. Actually not even close. VT might has well been an FCS school back then. This school should not have to settle for bottom shelf coordinators. There are plenty in the MAC/C-USA/Sun Belt ranks if that is what it has to be. HS coach?? Nah. No thanks. Beamer and Co. are not that in touch and shouldn't take that risk.

I am well aware of what VT was then and is now and well before Beamer came, and I didn't suggest going after anyone in particular. I simply stated that there are jewels to be found at that level. Urban Meyer, Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly, that is where every one of those coaches cut their teeth before landing with big programs. Meyer was at Utah, but when he arrived, as you said, Utah may as well have been FCS. Brian Kelly coached at Glanville State, for chrissakes.

Chuck Long isn't the answer and his record speaks that louder than I ever could.

You can't close your mind to these guys. There is a reason that the MAC conference is known as the "cradle of coaches". I saw several MAC offenses this year that would run circles around VT's offense.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Guys, we really have no idea what is going on behind those doors. We are going off what twitter says for the most part. They could be interviewing 12 guys and we would never know. Just let it work itself out.

Breaking twitter response: My sources close to the situation have confirmed NickVT10 may or may not be correct. The situation remains fluid and is changing by the minute. Expect an announcement on whether there will be an announcement soon. #lookatme

Seriously, agree with you Nick. It's a process. We've just got to wait it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not opposed to looking at a SUCCESSFUL up and coming position coach. Matt Canada would've been a great get. I'm not opposed to the way this is being handled (mostly). I am, however, a little pissed that they waited so long to get going on it. We probably missed out on some VERY good opportunities (like Canada) just to hold on to these coaches and do the right thing. I try to harp on Frank Beamer for being a good guy .. but fuck -- this is a rough business and you have to get your hands dirty sometimes. And the bowl game ... is not the most important thing. Hell, you could've told your coaching staff what was coming up, told them that they could stick around or the bowl game, prep, and get paid. When bowl game is over, they're gone .. and started your search at the end of November when you have a lot more options.

There are SO many options.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am well aware of what VT was then and is now and well before Beamer came, and I didn't suggest going after anyone in particular. I simply stated that there are jewels to be found at that level. Urban Meyer, Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly, that is where every one of those coaches cut their teeth before landing with big programs. Meyer was at Utah, but when he arrived, as you said, Utah may as well have been FCS. Brian Kelly coached at Glanville State, for chrissakes.

Chuck Long isn't the answer and his record speaks that louder than I ever could.

You can't close your mind to these guys. There is a reason that the MAC conference is known as the "cradle of coaches". I saw several MAC offenses this year that would run circles around VT's offense.

Both Brian Kelly and Urban Meyer took FBS teams to BCS games, so the 'Glanville State' argument is pretty much bogus.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not opposed to looking at a SUCCESSFUL up and coming position coach. Matt Canada would've been a great get. I'm not opposed to the way this is being handled (mostly). I am, however, a little pissed that they waited so long to get going on it. We probably missed out on some VERY good opportunities (like Canada) just to hold on to these coaches and do the right thing. I try to harp on Frank Beamer for being a good guy .. but fuck -- this is a rough business and you have to get your hands dirty sometimes. And the bowl game ... is not the most important thing. Hell, you could've told your coaching staff what was coming up, told them that they could stick around or the bowl game, prep, and get paid. When bowl game is over, they're gone .. and started your search at the end of November when you have a lot more options.

There are SO many options.

Nailed it.

hokieone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Brian Kelly and Urban Meyer took FBS teams to BCS games, so the 'Glanville State' argument is pretty much bogus.

How so? These guys were nobodies that some coach hired and all of a sudden you have a "rising star".

I'm not advertising for any of them, but to ignore them and say we want someone from the BCS ranks period, at least to me, smells too much like the NFL where the same guys get rehashed over and over, just for different teams.

Neither of them started as a head coach, and neither of them started in a FBS environment.

I'm just saying if you close the door on anyone without FBS experience, you are not exploring all your options. In fact, you are limiting them.

Its a crapshoot either way you go. I would just like our opponents to have to gameplan for our offense for a change regardless of who is the new OC.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so? These guys were nobodies that some coach hired and all of a sudden you have a "rising star".

I'm not advertising for any of them, but to ignore them and say we want someone from the BCS ranks period, at least to me, smells too much like the NFL where the same guys get rehashed over and over, just for different teams.

Neither of them started as a head coach, and neither of them started in a FBS environment.

I'm just saying if you close the door on anyone without FBS experience, you are not exploring all your options. In fact, you are limiting them.

Its a crapshoot either way you go. I would just like our opponents to have to gameplan for our offense for a change regardless of who is the new OC.

Brian Kelly was the head coach at Cincinnati, and basically built that program and took them to a BCS bowl - a BCS conference team. Urban coached at Bowling Green, then took Utah, which was not a bad program, to a BCS bowl and a ridiculous record over his tenure. I am not sure how you don't recognize that these guys both got their current jobs based on their track record at good sized schools. Do you think Brian Kelly would go from Glanville State to Notre Dame? All of the 'rising star' coaches you talk about have had some intermediate job before they get to the big leagues. VT should not be scraping FCS coaches, or even mid major coaches unless they have had some serious success.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm what are the metrics on this guy from a historical perspective? Metrics never lie...

hokieone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Kelly was the head coach at Cincinnati, and basically built that program and took them to a BCS bowl - a BCS conference team. Urban coached at Bowling Green, then took Utah, which was not a bad program, to a BCS bowl and a ridiculous record over his tenure. I am not sure how you don't recognize that these guys both got their current jobs based on their track record at good sized schools. Do you think Brian Kelly would go from Glanville State to Notre Dame? All of the 'rising star' coaches you talk about have had some intermediate job before they get to the big leagues. VT should not be scraping FCS coaches, or even mid major coaches unless they have had some serious success.

I would welcome the o-coordinator at Kent State or NIU in a New York minute over what we have had.

Would I rather have a Norm Chow type?...sure, but being the realist I am, that ain't happening. Any BCS level coordinator that might take it is one, secure in his current position and not really interested, or two, on shaky ground because his offense doesn't work, and you won't want them.

Since the Pep conversation died off, I believe whoever gets it will be taking a step up in class. I think its almost inevitable at this point.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
or an experienced, savvy position coach (preferably QB coach) who is ready to be a coordinator.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Conversely, in his lone season coordinating Temple’s offense, 2011, Loeffler directed a group that ranked seventh in rushing yards and 39th in scoring. The Owls went 9-4, after which Loeffler left for Auburn when Tigers offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn left to become Arkansas State’s head coach.

I'd take Loeffler before 3rd and Long .. that's for sure

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scot Loeffler is the latest name to pop up. Apparant that Beamer wants to bring in someone who has coached big name QB's in the past.

Teel Time: Scot Loeffler latest to surface as Virginia Tech shops for offensive coordinator - dailypress.com

last year as OC at Auburn, he had the 112th ranked scoring offense in the country and 115th ranked total offense....sounds strikingly familiar

yeah he's had some better years with players like Tim Tebow taking snaps...

i am skeptical on this one.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
last year as OC at Auburn, he had the 112th ranked scoring offense in the country and 115th ranked total offense....sounds strikingly familiar

yeah he's had some better years with players like Tim Tebow taking snaps...

i am skeptical on this one.

I think he's got to be a better option than Long right?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask Wisconsin fans if they wanted Canada to stay or not. Pass.

I'd take an FCS or non-BCS OC if it were the right fit. By "right fit" I mean a great schemer who matches our personnel and can recruit. I wouldn't just take any moderately successful OC from bodunk state though.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loeffler seems like he would be a decent option. I dont like that he doesn't have an exact style, I read that he is multiple. However, he seems to tailor his offenses to meet the talent on the team. He is also young and has a decent resume.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
pretty pro-heavy with some mix of spread ... i like it

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loeffler sounds ok. Anyone but Long. I'm still shaking my head at that one. I can come up with better reasons to keep Stiney as OC than to hire Long.