• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPDATED 1/10/2013 10:30PM: Offensive coaching staff for next year

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we should start a thread of potential OC candidates. I'm not kidding!

Jhalf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Damn, was so excited to read this this morning cause I saw it was updated at 10:30 on 1/10, just to see forty_Sixand2 say "damnit" lol.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not the news i was hoping for when logging in this morning.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at 757 for having a blue name that isn't bolded.

:pout:

also, although this is not the news i was hoping for...considering how the situation has been handled thus far...i'm not at all surprised

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather us take an OC from a MAC school that has a good offense than a subpar one from a BCS school

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather us take an OC from a MAC school that has a good offense than a subpar one from a BCS school

Or an FCS school.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or an FCS school.

No.

VT is not the place for an FCS coach to cut their teeth in big boy football. Beamer should have higher standards than a FCS OC running a gimmick offense. We have had coaches come from those ranks and we see how that turned out. Not saying there aren't exceptions but this is not the time to experiment with that. Only way I would consider this is if there is a HEAD COACH that is offensive minded, calls plays, and had success at the FCS level (to come in and be OC). VT could probably pay as much or more than a HC makes in FCS. The FCS OCs can go to Conf-USA, MAC, or the Sun Belt if they want an OC job in FBS.

Last edited by a moderator:

hokieone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

VT is not the place for an FCS coach to cut their teeth in big boy football. Beamer should have higher standards than a FCS OC running a gimmick offense. We have had coaches come from those ranks and we see how that turned out. Not saying there aren't exceptions but this is not the time to experiment with that. Only way I would consider this is if there is a HEAD COACH that is offensive minded, calls plays, and had success at the FCS level (to come in and be OC). VT could probably pay as much or more than a HC makes in FCS. The FCS OCs can go to Conf-USA, MAC, or the Sun Belt if they want an OC job in FBS.

Didn't Frank Beamer and Bud Foster come from a FCS school? hell, Chad Morris was a high school coach a couple of years prior to arriving at Clemson.

There are jewels to be found in those ranks.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Frank Beamer and Bud Foster come from a FCS school? hell, Chad Morris was a high school coach a couple of years prior to arriving at Clemson.

You surrous??

VT today is not what VT was back then. Actually not even close. VT might has well been an FCS school back then. This school should not have to settle for bottom shelf coordinators. There are plenty in the MAC/C-USA/Sun Belt ranks if that is what it has to be. HS coach?? Nah. No thanks. Beamer and Co. are not that in touch and shouldn't take that risk.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chad Morris is definitely an outliar, but don't even begin to bring up CFB or Foster. Times have certainly changed, and the game, our program, and recruiting aren't the same at all as to when when those boys came up. VT was coming off sanctions and was more or less a joke, obviously not a top 15-20 program when they came to town.

VT should not have to 'settle' on someone. There is a ton more that goes into player development and recruiting in FBS than FCS, and seeing as the majority of our offensive staff would be replaced, (not just one new guy like Chad Morris) that is a VERY risky game to play.

edit: looks like Sparks stole some of my thunder. Didn't see him respond already

vtfan08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chad Morris is definitely an outliar, but don't even begin to bring up CFB or Foster. Times have certainly changed, and the game, our program, and recruiting aren't the same at all as to when when those boys came up. VT was coming off sanctions and was more or less a joke, obviously not a top 15-20 program when they came to town.

VT should not have to 'settle' on someone. There is a ton more that goes into player development and recruiting in FBS than FCS, and seeing as the majority of our offensive staff would be replaced, (not just one new guy like Chad Morris) that is a VERY risky game to play.

edit: looks like Sparks stole some of my thunder. Didn't see him respond already

What about someone like the ODU coach or ODU OC? I think they've demonstrated that they know how to run an offense, despite being technically FCS, right?

Personally, I'm not disgusted by the way the search is being handled. If Frank wants to make a good hire, he should consider EVERY option, and take as much time as necessary (barring it's squared away and an offensive identity/playbook is completed before the start of spring practice).

As far as I'm concerned, we should be interviewing current FBS OC's, Current FBS QB and OLine coaches, FCS HC's and some FCS OC's. Why not interview Chuck Long? Just because he's interviewed doesn't mean he's received an offer.

It seems like our program is approaching this with an open mind, which is what I wanted. Hamilton and Long both ran completely different offenses. Long's a retired coach, Hamilton is from the other side of the country. I absolutely agree we shouldn't 'settle' on someone, but we haven't done so (yet). We seem to be considering a plethora of options, what's wrong with that?

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It seems like our program is approaching this with an open mind, which is what I wanted. Hamilton and Long both ran completely different offenses. Long's a retired coach, Hamilton is from the other side of the country. I absolutely agree we shouldn't 'settle' on someone, but we haven't done so (yet). We seem to be considering a plethora of options, what's wrong with that?

I think the issue is that they didn't fire anyone on the current coaching staff, they've only interviewed two coaches that we're aware of, and they're interviewing completely different profiles of coaches. Pep Hamilton and Chuck Long aren't really in the same league, current trading value-wise, or style-wise.

To me, it appears indecisive. It's time to cross the Rubicon. Don't be leaving one foot in the past. Beamer has had all season (and really, several years) to contemplate the correct move. Now is when he should be executing, not deciding. Friendships aside, now is the time to get an OC who is either proven or clearly on the rise in the style of play Beamer wants. I know that costs money, but they should have their wallets out.

Now maybe, just maybe, they are planning to make a big change and are just taking this approach to preserve a fine recruiting class. I'll buy that if they get the right guy. However, if they end up with someone who appears "average", I'm going to call it for what it is.

Don't get me wrong, so will everyone else.