• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Triple Espresso of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man trump steaks are expensive!

Yeah, but whenever I'm at the mall I like to pop in the Sharper Image and pick up some steaks. I only wish Brookstone offered a competing steak line.

(Millenial: I don't know what most of the those words mean, brah.)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trump told 'the countdown to impeachment has already started'

tenor.gif

I just love the logic. If you do a great job, how can you also have committed a crime?

I'm guessing mutual exclusivity is not a concept on which he has a strong grasp.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing mutual exclusivity is not a concept on which he has a strong grasp.

Add it to the list. At this point it may be easier to list things he does have a grasp of... it can’t be much with those tiny hands.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add it to the list. At this point it may be easier to list things he does have a grasp of... it can’t be much with those tiny hands.

I've heard the White House now only stocks the 7 oz bottle of Coke and beer pony bottles in the fridges so that Trump can feel like he has normal sized hands.

At least that's what people are saying. ;)

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHERE IS MY CONWAY FAMILY DINNER INVITE DAMMIT!!!

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John McCain is a big reason why the defense dept. budget increased by the total budget of Russia's military this year. It's actually named after him.

If he had ever been president, Iran would've been invaded long ago.

Despite losing in 08 in large part because his party's policies destroyed the economy, he voted against Dodd-Frank.

He wanted to shoot down Russian planes in Syria which almost surely would've led to war with Russia.

He supported every single one of Trump's nominees except for one; if you can't guess the reason he didn't support Mick Mulvaney it was because Mulvaney wanted to trim the defense budget.

He voted against MLK Day.

He unleashed Palin which, I think inarguably at this point, unleashed the Tea Party and led directly to Trump.

I don't get how people can be so fucking anti-Trump and yet think McCain is some sort of right-sided hero because he voted against repealing the ACA (which he, of course, voted against when it was enacted because that would be just too much MAVERICK!

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John McCain is a big reason why the defense dept. budget increased by the total budget of Russia's military this year. It's actually named after him.

If he had ever been president, Iran would've been invaded long ago.

Despite losing in 08 in large part because his party's policies destroyed the economy, he voted against Dodd-Frank.

He wanted to shoot down Russian planes in Syria which almost surely would've led to war with Russia.

He supported every single one of Trump's nominees except for one; if you can't guess the reason he didn't support Mick Mulvaney it was because Mulvaney wanted to trim the defense budget.

He voted against MLK Day.

He unleashed Palin which, I think inarguably at this point, unleashed the Tea Party and led directly to Trump.

I don't get how people can be so fucking anti-Trump and yet think McCain is some sort of right-sided hero because he voted against repealing the ACA (which he, of course, voted against when it was enacted because that would be just too much MAVERICK!

I agree 100%. In some ways I think he is a decent man, but what a crap politician.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, maybe because one dodged the draft while the other was an actual hero.

Not saying I agree with most, of even many, of his policy positions, but I think they came from a place of his earnest opinion. And he did, in fact, go against the party line on a number of occasions that could have been politically costly to do so.

I don't think you have to like him, but I find it hard to not respect him.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100%. In some ways I think he is a decent man, but what a crap politician.

One could argue he was a perfect politician, depending on how cynical you are about politics. Cowtowing when it was politically expedient, fighting back when it wouldn't cost him much.

Brain Cancer is a terrible way to go. Even for people you disagree with politically.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, maybe because one dodged the draft while the other was an actual hero.

Not saying I agree with most, of even many, of his policy positions, but I think they came from a place of his earnest opinion. And he did, in fact, go against the party line on a number of occasions that could have been politically costly to do so.

I don't think you have to like him, but I find it hard to not respect him.
His war record has no effect on how anybody should view him as a politician. In that case, everybody should be cutting Duncan Hunter some slack for his $600 publicly-financed rabbit airfare and his $3000 In-N-Out bill because he fought like hell in Fallujah.

If you want to say you have respect for his military service and sacrifice, that's one thing. If you, as you put it, gave serious consideration to him for president then you shouldn't have any issue with any of the policies that have been put in place by the current administration. McCain hasn't - McCain voted the Trump position 83% of the time. There's really no middle-ground here. Just because Trump and McCain don't get along doesn't mean they aren't cut from the same cloth politically.

Like Comeds said, decent man but crap pol.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give McCain two things:

He really knew how to pick a VP candidate. The selection of Palin I'm sure had nothing to do with the degeneration of our political system.

His frozen fries are not too bad.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His war record has no effect on how anybody should view him as a politician. In that case, everybody should be cutting Duncan Hunter some slack for his $600 publicly-financed rabbit airfare and his $3000 In-N-Out bill because he fought like hell in Fallujah.

If you want to say you have respect for his military service and sacrifice, that's one thing. If you, as you put it, gave serious consideration to him for president then you shouldn't have any issue with any of the policies that have been put in place by the current administration. McCain hasn't - McCain voted the Trump position 83% of the time. There's really no middle-ground here. Just because Trump and McCain don't get along doesn't mean they aren't cut from the same cloth politically.

Like Comeds said, decent man but crap pol.

Several flaws in those argument:
  • His military service and his record of public service show he has a dedication to serving the citizens of the United States. Trump has shown he has a dedication to serving his own interests and ego without much regard for anyone else and has flauted American laws, contracts, and just basic decency many times over. The manner in which people carry themselves should be a factor beyond just how someone voted. I don't think Reagan was a good President from a policy/budget standpoint, but the country felt positively during his administration and that doesn't mean nothing. Trump is socially divisive and negative in a way McCain NEVER would have been as President. Our foreign relationships are frayed and consumer confidence will suffer. So it's more than just the voting record, but...
  • Congress votes pretty close to unanimously about 10-20% of the time depending on the legislative session, so that changes that percentage some. Expand that further to include that few legislative actions are closely contested (as we have seen with ObamaCare for example), so expending political capital on an issue where your vote won't make a difference anyway is not savvy politically.
  • Additionally, one of the jobs of those in the houses of government is to vote for the interests of those they represent, so the decision on how to vote does not necessarily align with one's own views perfectly either. Your conscience may want to vote one way, but you may feel compelled to align with those you represent and vote another. Or combine this with bullet point 2 above - it may be smarter to go along with some legislation that won't lose anyway to appease the district.
  • The 83% does not include votes that never reached the floor. Legislation is often not brought to a vote when there is a good (or even slim) chance it will fail. McCain and some other Republican legislators have prevented votes from ever taking place by party leaders knowing their voting position prior to a roll call.
  • Many of Trump's most detestable actions and flaws have not been centered on his legislative victories. He's done VERY little in that realm since taking office. The travel been, his attacks on the free press, his racial dog whistles, environmental regulation changes, his relationships with foreign leaders, etc. have all happened outside of the legislative process.
McCain has been a legislative member of the House or Senate for 35 years. That's prima facia evidence he is, in fact, a very good politician.

You said you don't get how people can be anti-Trump, but like McCain. You don't have to agree with me, but there are certainly MANY reasons for those feelings to be logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.