• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top nine defenses for 2019 NFL season:

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A week or so ago they shared opinions on the top 9 offenses, now we have the top 9 defenses.

Top nine defenses for 2019 NFL season: Chargers lead the pack

1) Los Angeles Chargers

2) Dallas Cowboys

3) Chicago Bears

4) Jacksonville Jaguars

5) Buffalo Bills

6) New England Patriots

7) Minnesota Vikings

8) Atlanta Falcons

9) Green Bay Packers
Last season, Mike Pettine replaced the long-tenured Dom Capers as coordinator and got the Packers' defense moving in the right direction, with Green Bay improving in yards (from 22nd to 18th) and points allowed (26th to 22nd). When Matt LaFleur took over as head coach this offseason, he could have wiped the slate clean. Instead, LaFleur decided to retain Pettine, a move that I loved. When LaFleur confirmed the news on "Schein on Sports" on SiriusXM Radio, it seemed like a no-brainer to allow the aggressive and smart DC to build continuity in Green Bay. LaFleur has plenty to worry about on offense; why upset the apple cart on defense when Pettine seems to have a good thing going?

And I was very impressed by GM Brian Gutekunst's work in overhauling Pettine's cast of characters. Yes, Clay Matthews is in Los Angeles, and Mike Daniels will be missed. But Gutekunst knocked it out of the park in the draft and free agency. The second-year GM came away from Round 1 with not one but twostuds in edge rusher Rashan Gary, who made my list of the top non-QB prospects in the draft, and safety Darnell Savage, who became the latest high draft pick to join a secondary that already includes rising young talent Jaire Alexander at cornerback. And that was after Gutekunst made a series of calculated and savvy signings in free agency, boosting the defensive front with a pair of Smiths (Za'Darius and Preston) and pilfering safety Adrian Amos from the hated Bears. The Packers cannot afford to waste any of Aaron Rodgers' remaining prime, and giving Pettine the tools he needs to keep the defense trending up was an exceedingly smart thing to do.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams should be there

This was reasoning given for not being on the list: The Rams' Aaron Donald is the best defensive player on the planet, but you won't see his team in these rankings, not after it ranked 19th in the league last season and didn't make any blockbuster additions in the offseason.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was reasoning given for not being on the list: The Rams' Aaron Donald is the best defensive player on the planet, but you won't see his team in these rankings, not after it ranked 19th in the league last season and didn't make any blockbuster additions in the offseason.

That is all nice, we're going to be in the top 9. Just watch now

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still have no clue why people are listing Dallas Defense so high.
I dont see it.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still have no clue why people are listing Dallas Defense so high.
I dont see it.
I think Dallas is a top 3 D personally I wouldn't have Atlanta 8. They finished top 10 2 years ago and plummeted last year after all the injuries but I'm going to need to see it first . I probably wouldn't have GB top 9 either

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFC North has 3 D's in the top 9. An acronym for FORD (Owner of the Lions) is "Forth On Race Day." I'm starting to see a pattern here.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pats D could be very strong this year. The back line should be amongst the best in the NFL and despite losing Trey Flowers they have a lot of versatile players that should allow them to scheme and get after the QB.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why just a top 9? Why not top 10? These arbitrary numbers are always silly.

Either way, hard to take this list seriously with no Baltimore D on it.

Last edited:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The writer did say he'd have them at 10 if that's any consellation?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously a troll thread no Seattle or Philly?

Let the crying begin.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is all nice, we're going to be in the top 9. Just watch now

6 games against the shitty offenses in their division will skew the numbers a bit though.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

10 is arbitrary.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously a troll thread no Seattle or Philly?

Let the crying begin.
Naw, Seattle is middle of the pack or so. Personally, what was said about GB has some merit but I don't see that big of a jump. Don't know about the Falcons quite that high either. I would say 11-14 range for those two and have the Ravens and Eagles on there.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A week or so ago they shared opinions on the top 9 offenses, now we have the top 9 defenses.

1) Los Angeles Chargers

2) Dallas Cowboys

3) Chicago Bears

4) Jacksonville Jaguars

5) Buffalo Bills

6) New England Patriots

7) Minnesota Vikings

8) Atlanta Falcons

9) Green Bay Packers
Last season, Mike Pettine replaced the long-tenured Dom Capers as coordinator and got the Packers' defense moving in the right direction, with Green Bay improving in yards (from 22nd to 18th) and points allowed (26th to 22nd). When Matt LaFleur took over as head coach this offseason, he could have wiped the slate clean. Instead, LaFleur decided to retain Pettine, a move that I loved. When LaFleur confirmed the news on "Schein on Sports" on SiriusXM Radio, it seemed like a no-brainer to allow the aggressive and smart DC to build continuity in Green Bay. LaFleur has plenty to worry about on offense; why upset the apple cart on defense when Pettine seems to have a good thing going?

And I was very impressed by GM Brian Gutekunst's work in overhauling Pettine's cast of characters. Yes, Clay Matthews is in Los Angeles, and Mike Daniels will be missed. But Gutekunst knocked it out of the park in the draft and free agency. The second-year GM came away from Round 1 with not one but twostuds in edge rusher Rashan Gary, who made my list of the top non-QB prospects in the draft, and safety Darnell Savage, who became the latest high draft pick to join a secondary that already includes rising young talent Jaire Alexander at cornerback. And that was after Gutekunst made a series of calculated and savvy signings in free agency, boosting the defensive front with a pair of Smiths (Za'Darius and Preston) and pilfering safety Adrian Amos from the hated Bears. The Packers cannot afford to waste any of Aaron Rodgers' remaining prime, and giving Pettine the tools he needs to keep the defense trending up was an exceedingly smart thing to do.

good to see them giving NE preseason credit. that defense is gonna be very very good.

6) New England Patriots

Bill Belichick himself might be calling the defensive plays for New England this season following Brian Flores' departure for Miami, so the entire NFL should be on notice. BREAKING: The man can coach! It helps that he has the bulk of the unit that held the high-flying Rams to three points in Super Bowl LIII returning intact.

The secondary is terrific, with Stephon Gilmore, the McCourty brothers, Patrick Chung and last year's undrafted gem, J.C. Jackson. Gilmore is one of the very best corners in the league. Linebacker Kyle Van Noy has been a perfect fit for the Patriots and is coming off a career year. The Pats did let a key piece from last year's team depart in Trey Flowers, but they acquired Michael Bennett, who has the third-most QB hits (103) in the NFL since 2015, to help fill the void. The return of Jamie Collins -- one of eight players with 100 or more tackles and 10 or more tackles for loss in 2018 -- is a strong addition, as well.

And did I mention they are getting coached up by Bill Belichick? No one's better.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) Los Angeles Chargers

2) Dallas Cowboys

3) Chicago Bears

4) Jacksonville Jaguars

5) Buffalo Bills

6) New England Patriots

7) Minnesota Vikings

8) Atlanta Falcons

9) Green Bay Packers

so no excuses for rodgers this year:suds:

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fwiw, is there really a big difference when we are talking rankings in the 8-16 ish range? It seems to me that the PPG & YPG can be really a matter of a couple of bad games or running into a couple of good offenses. The Rams were a good example last year. The KC game, the Minny game and the 2vs Seattle really hurt their overall numbers.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell are we 3???? Oh well it's just a list of a opinion. Man am I ready for some football.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My expectation going into 2019:

1. Chicago Bears
2. Jacksonville Jaguars
3. Baltimore Ravens
4. New England Patriots
5. Minnesota Vikings
6. Dallas Cowboys
7. Buffalo Bills
8. Denver Broncos
9. San Diego Chargers

It has more AFC teams but if I did offense then it would probably have more NFC teams.