• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tony Romo

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen, I'm not always a dick here, but I have been preaching about Romo's lack of having a clutch gene and failure to have a high football IQ for years lol. It was absolutely dumb to extend this guy with his well documented history late in the season when you could have just let him play out the season or even franchised him the next season. I am not going to even get started on the defense and lack of pressure not changing this season with these overrated and over-the-hill DLinemen that I was crying about all season long. I see Jerry in most of you here and feel utterly disgusted with your love affairs with these marginal performing regular season players who hasn't accomplished shit in the playoffs...hiding behind "I'm a real fan" flag and totally ignoring the obvious...just enabling Jerry to further collect his money and field this trash product year after year...

:agree: well I appreciate your honesty in saying that. Hey most might not,but Looks like your Romo take was right.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care to listen to people who just pick 1 QB out of at least 32 ...and say they will fail, and then pat themselves on the back for it. The odd's are all in there favor.

If they want to do it ..and them explain "in detail" why ..I'll listen.

Bill Barnwell from Grantland does just that about yesterday. See below.

1. It's Tony Romo's fault. Nobody's going to enjoy the "Is Tony Romo clutch?" debate, so let's just skip past that for now. Briefly, though, let's run a table and talk about the whole "Tony Romo can't win in December and January" thing. These are Romo's numbers, split by month, over the course of his career. The win-loss records are his records as a starter and include both Romo's regular-season and playoff performance. The only game that's not included in his win-loss record is a December loss to the Eagles when Romo threw two passes before injuring his hand.

Month Record Win% Cmp Att Cmp% Yds Yds/Att TD INT
September 16-8 66.7% 546 842 64.8% 6,866 8.2 43 18
October 10-15 40.0% 574 895 64.1% 6,809 7.6 48 36
November 24-5 82.8% 643 971 66.2% 7,918 8.2 64 18
Dec/Jan 13-20 39.4% 737 1,171 62.9% 8,543 7.3 54 30
The problem in believing that there's something seriously wrong with Romo in December and January isn't that he plays worse in those months or that the Cowboys don't win as frequently at the end of the year. He does play a bit worse and they don't win as frequently.

The problem is that Romo is just as bad in October as he is in December and January. His winning percentage is basically identical and he throws interceptions more frequently in October than he does in December and January. So, if you really believe that there's something wrong with Romo at the end of the year, that there's some flaw that only comes out when he's playing the pressure-filled games at the end of the season, you have to simultaneously explain why he's just as bad in October. Can he not handle the pressure of being spooked by ghouls and goblins? Is Cowboys Stadium haunted? Or maybe — just maybe — players' abilities don't change by virtue of the Gregorian calendar?2

OK. Now that we've cleared that up, it's hard to argue that Romo isn't at least partly responsible for what happened to the Cowboys on Sunday. Romo ripped the Packers secondary apart during the first half, going 16-of-27 for 250 yards with a touchdown. Things fell apart in the fourth quarter. The Cowboys got three possessions and Romo threw interceptions on two of them, with a third questionably wiped off the board before Romo drove his team down the field for a touchdown.

The critical moment that really swung the game was Romo's first pick that stood, which came with the Packers down 36-31 and 2:58 left in the game. It is the Romo interception that we would put in a time capsule if we wanted future species to know what the Romocoaster was like. The play starts with a moment of sheer, undeniable brilliance from Romo, as he manages to elude unblocked commercial pitchman/occasional football enthusiast Clay Matthews to keep the play alive. Immediately after doing so, though, Romo's improvisational skills tell him to fire a ball into a window that is no longer open, and when he leaves the throw behind Miles Austin, Sam Shields is able to pick the pass off.

It's a surprise that Romo threw the ball at all; the play was primarily designed to be a run. Jason Garrett alluded to it after the game, and it was misinterpreted afterward in some circles as Romo audibling out of a run play into a pass, but Grantland's Chris Brown noted in the moment that the play was designed as a packaged play with multiple options. Watch the video again. The Cowboys' offensive linemen block like it's a run play. Had Romo even had the time to hand it off to DeMarco Murray, Matthews would have swallowed him whole with the backside pursuit. You'll also note that every single member of the Packers honors the run-action and heads for the developing point of attack. There's no safety helping Shields on that play. If Romo leads Austin, there's nobody standing between Austin and the end zone. Romo read the defense properly and was right to think pass. He did an incredible job of eluding Matthews. The slant that Austin was designed to run as the second option on the packaged play had come and gone by the time Romo escaped Matthews's clutches, though, and Romo threw it like it was still there. That's where the mistake came in.

Romo's second interception is mostly on Cole Beasley. I don't love the decision to throw a two-yard out to the sticks on second-and-1, and I don't think Romo realized that Tramon Williams wasn't going to sink any deeper, but Beasley freezes in the middle of his route. That just can't happen. Beasley took the blame afterward, saying as much. If he completes his route, the pass is either complete or incomplete, but it's really difficult for the throw to be intercepted.

On the first drive of the fourth quarter, before all that went down, Romo also had a pass ruled to be intercepted on the field before being overturned on replay. I actually didn't think there was enough evidence on replay for that ruling to be reversed. That being said, it came on a Romo pass that hit Jason Witten in the hands.

I've seen plenty of arguments that the Cowboys shouldn't have been throwing the ball at all in those situations. So, then …

2. It's Jason Garrett's fault. I'm not buying this one. The Garrett argument says the Cowboys were having success running the ball — with Murray averaging seven yards per carry at one point — and so the Cowboys needed to continue to run the ball to kill clock and pick up, presumably, seven yards every time they wanted.

It's a lot more complicated than that. For one, as you can see with the interception on the packaged play, play calling isn't quite as simple as calling a run play or a pass play these days. Offenses are designed to take advantage of what the defense leaves available, and with the Cowboys having success running the football and the Packers desperately trying to get the ball back down by multiple scores in the second half, what do you think they were setting out to stop? There's little sense in running the ball for the sake of running the ball if there are eight men in the box and you have Dez Bryant and Witten at receiver.

Furthermore, were the Cowboys really better off running the football? In the second half, they had a total of five possessions. Two were the aforementioned short drives that ended in interceptions. The first was a 13-play drive that took 6:30 off the clock with seven passes and five runs, the latter totaling 16 yards. It produced a 50-yard field goal. The second was a three-and-out with two incomplete passes and a sack that lasted 63 seconds. And the third drive lasted 4:43, with two runs for a total of 20 yards. Romo went 6-for-7 for 50 yards, ending with a touchdown pass to Bryant. Clearly, nobody's criticizing the Cowboys for throwing the ball too much that drive.

So, then, are we really going to blame Garrett for not calling a running play on what became a three-and-out with his team up 29-17 and 16 minutes to go? On that drive, an open Murray dropped a high-percentage pass on first down, Romo missed James Hanna on second down, and he took a sack (which did keep the clock moving, coincidentally) on third down. And with that much time left, you're not trying to burn clock for the sake of burning clock; you're trying to score. I consider myself an expert in finding things that Garrett has done wrong, and, I'm sorry, this just isn't registering for me as a primary cause of this loss.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3. It's the defense's fault. Romo made a bad throw. Garrett could have called for an extra run play or two. Not unreasonable. What about the guys who allowed an offense run by Matt freaking Flynn to score 34 points in the second half? Green Bay scored on each of its five meaningful possessions in the second half, two of which started with excellent field position: one after a punt return to the Dallas 22-yard line, and the other after Shields's pick of Romo exactly at midfield. The other three drives all started on the Packers' 20-yard line. Flynn went 16-of-22 for 182 yards and four touchdowns in the second half. Eddie Lacy carried the ball 13 times for 110 yards, including a 60-yard scamper to start the third quarter. During that second half, Flynn was not sacked once. From what I can tell without coaches tape, he was only knocked down once all half.

The defense doesn't get blamed for stuff like this, though, because there isn't the one smoking gun. It's way easier to hang your hat on an interception than it is on a blown coverage or a missed tackle. There's no individual defensive play that's as obviously detrimental as an interception. Romo made a bad throw. The defense probably produced about 25 subpar snaps in the second half. That sort of disadvantage is more subtle, but it's far more impactful.

Ask yourself this: When was the last time Romo's defense bailed him out? I can think of a whole bunch of times when Romo bailed out his defense. Like the two-minute drill against the Vikings a few weeks ago after his defense blew a fourth-quarter lead. Or last year, when Romo led two touchdown drives in the final four minutes to tie up the game against the Saints. Or the 10-point, fourth-quarter comeback against the Bengals two weeks earlier. Where are the games when Dallas's defense comes up with a big play late to seal — let alone create — a victory?3 You're not wrong to pin some of the blame on Romo. But, again, if we're going to talk about what's going wrong with the Dallas Cowboys, it seems wrong to blame the side that scored 36 points far more than the one that allowed 37.

As for Flynn, he might have saved the Packers' season. This was his second consecutive win with a fourth-quarter comeback, and the Packers needed both those wins to realistically keep their head above water in the NFC playoff hunt. Now, at 7-6-1, the Packers can likely bring Aaron Rodgers back into the fold with something meaningful to play for. They're hardly favorites to win the NFC North, but they just need the Lions to slip up once to control their own playoff destiny, which is far more than the team could have hoped for when it was trailing in the fourth quarter against the Falcons last week.

How do the Packers — and the rest of the league's playoff contenders — shape up with two weeks to go? Well, it's a good time to be …

Pencil Sharpener

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After last nights blown 23 point halftime lead, I said I didn't blame Romo for the loss. Well after watching some lowlights from last nights game I changed my mind. Romo IMO has lost it, big time. He underthrew a wide open Dez Bryant numerous times, threw 2 picks and was lucky it wasn't 3 or 4. He lead the team into or near the red zone 6 times last night in the first half and came away with 4 field goals and only two TD's. He doesn't move around in the pocket like he use to anymore, and has seemed to have lost a lot of arm strength. I can't believe Jerry gave him a 100 million dollar deal. While I don't blame this loss all on Romo, he did play a big part in it. Now it seems Garrett has lost this team, they are now throwing each other under the bus including Garrett throwing Romo under the bus. This team is flat out horrible, with no relief in sight. Going to be another long decade.

Good thing nobody has to take you opinion for anything because this is as clueless as clueless can come.

We lost because of the defense, and playcalling. Make all the excuses your want for this pathetic coaching staff. They went to half time with a 23 point lead and a RB averaging 8.5 ypc and completely neglected him the rest of the game.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree maybe this is the wrong draft to do so, but I would have no problem with the Cowboys pulling the trigger in the 2nd round on someone like Tahj Boyd. The remaining picks should all go defense. I also think we have to get a corner early to. Most would say Safety, but I think corner is a more urgent need.

The trenches. That's were games are won and lost. Wake up.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing nobody has to take you opinion for anything because this is as clueless as clueless can come.

We lost because of the defense, and playcalling. Make all the excuses your want for this pathetic coaching staff. They went to half time with a 23 point lead and a RB averaging 8.5 ypc and completely neglected him the rest of the game.

Clueless?? I didn't say it was all on Romo, if you could read you would know that. It wasn't the defense that threw a pick with a little over 2 minutes left in the game with the team up 5 points. I have given the defense its share of the blame, and the coaching staff as well. Everything I said about Romo was true, he missed several deep balls to Dez that would have been TD's had he not noodle armed the ball. The pass that was picked should have never been thrown, Romo knows better that that, he should have just ate the ball or thrown it away. Mathews blew up the play, and a good QB would have thrown it away to live another down. Romo was just lucky there were no more INTS, the TD to Dez in the back endzone was very dangerous, and a INT earlier in that drive was overturned. So you bet Romo gets some of the blame.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What really sticks in my craw is even though the Cowboys were not expected to do anything, this loss is a national story, It's everywhere CNBC, Druge ..etc. You can't escape it.

I sure as hell don't remember the Broncos collapse getting that much attention.

All these years, that is the toughest part of being a Cowboys fan. There just seems to be a bigger and brighter flashlight that shines on the Cowboys failures.

That's because everybody knows and sees our owner every week. Most fans of other teams have rarely even seen their owner let alone hear them talk on the radio. Jerry Jones has his own gotdamn radio show.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trenches. That's were games are won and lost. Wake up.

Thats an obvious statement i'm not saying spend 7 picks on db just one. It goes with out saying the Cowboys will likely draft at least 3 DL.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask yourself this: When was the last time Romo's defense bailed him out? I can think of a whole bunch of times when Romo bailed out his defense. Like the two-minute drill against the Vikings a few weeks ago after his defense blew a fourth-quarter lead. Or last year, when Romo led two touchdown drives in the final four minutes to tie up the game against the Saints. Or the 10-point, fourth-quarter comeback against the Bengals two weeks earlier. Where are the games when Dallas's defense comes up with a big play late to seal — let alone create — a victory?

This season:

Week 1 against the Giants. Pick 6 sealed the deal.

Week 6 against Washington. Sacked RG3 and forced fumble at Washington's own 3-yard line to set up easy walk in TD for Joseph Randle.

Week 7 against the Eagles. Held the Eagles to 3 points, knocked out Foles, held McCoy in check all game. Picked off Barkley three times in the 4th quarter.

Week 9 against the Vikings. Ironically, in a game you try to exemplify as Romo bailing out his defense was also a game in which the defense bailed him out as well. After a poor interception late in the 4th quarter, the defense bailed out Romo by making a huge stop after just giving up a TD on the previous possession, which gave Romo the chance to win the game and would keep Romo's interception from being costly.

Last season:

Week 7 against the Panthers. The Cowboys defense made a questionable (Claiborne could have been flagged for a penalty on 4th down but wasn't), but huge stop to win the game against the Panthers in a big defensive battle.

Week 10 against the Eagles. A pick six and a fumble return for a TD sealed the game.

Week 11 against the Browns. In OT after the Cowboys got the ball first and did nothing, the defense immediately forced a three-and-out, Harris has a good return, and the offense doesn't have to drive far to win the game on a Bailey FG.

Week 13 against the Eagles. Morris Claboirne returned a fumble for a TD to seal the win.

Week 15 against the Steelers. Don't tell me you forgot about Carr's HUGE interception in OT to set the Cowboys up for the win.

Note: While the Bengals' game doesn't really fit under your guidelines of Romo being "bailed out," the defense was instrumental in that comeback win. Seemingly not being able to make a stop for the majority of the game, the defense rose up in the 4th quarter and forced two big punts while giving up no points that led to the comeback.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask yourself this: When was the last time Romo's defense bailed him out? I can think of a whole bunch of times when Romo bailed out his defense. Like the two-minute drill against the Vikings a few weeks ago after his defense blew a fourth-quarter lead. Or last year, when Romo led two touchdown drives in the final four minutes to tie up the game against the Saints. Or the 10-point, fourth-quarter comeback against the Bengals two weeks earlier. Where are the games when Dallas's defense comes up with a big play late to seal — let alone create — a victory?

This season:

Week 1 against the Giants. Pick 6 sealed the deal.

Week 6 against Washington. Sacked RG3 and forced fumble at Washington's own 3-yard line to set up easy walk in TD for Joseph Randle.

Week 7 against the Eagles. Held the Eagles to 3 points, knocked out Foles, held McCoy in check all game. Picked off Barkley three times in the 4th quarter.

Week 9 against the Vikings. Ironically, in a game you try to exemplify as Romo bailing out his defense was also a game in which the defense bailed him out as well. After a poor interception late in the 4th quarter, the defense bailed out Romo by making a huge stop after just giving up a TD on the previous possession, which gave Romo the chance to win the game and would keep Romo's interception from being costly.

Last season:

Week 7 against the Panthers. The Cowboys defense made a questionable (Claiborne could have been flagged for a penalty on 4th down but wasn't), but huge stop to win the game against the Panthers in a big defensive battle.

Week 10 against the Eagles. A pick six and a fumble return for a TD sealed the game.

Week 11 against the Browns. In OT after the Cowboys got the ball first and did nothing, the defense immediately forced a three-and-out, Harris has a good return, and the offense doesn't have to drive far to win the game on a Bailey FG.

Week 13 against the Eagles. Morris Claboirne returned a fumble for a TD to seal the win.

Week 15 against the Steelers. Don't tell me you forgot about Carr's HUGE interception in OT to set the Cowboys up for the win.

Note: While the Bengals' game doesn't really fit under your guidelines of Romo being "bailed out," the defense was instrumental in that comeback win. Seemingly not being able to make a stop for the majority of the game, the defense rose up in the 4th quarter and forced two big punts while giving up no points that led to the comeback.

Just looking at the first game you listed makes me wonder if we can trust the games you listed.

After we got the Int and TD ...we let the Giants drive down the field and score 9 plays/ 80 yards ...and then we got the onside kick ...that's when the game was over.

Is that what you consider being bailed out by the D??? ...allowing a last minute TD and getting lucky with the onside?? This is what we call revising history to suit your argument.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that Giant game the Offense did NOTHING with their 4th Qtr drives. We had two first downs: one by penalty and one on a long run by Murray. The defense came up with the game winning TD that sealed the game. The touchdown by the Giants that you speak of happened with 16 seconds left on the clock. Even if the Giants recovered the onside kick they needed a TD. Lastly I wouldn't say not allowing the kicking team to recover an onside kick could be considered "lucky".

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that Giant game the Offense did NOTHING with their 4th Qtr drives. We had two first downs: one by penalty and one on a long run by Murray. The defense came up with the game winning TD that sealed the game. The touchdown by the Giants that you speak of happened with 16 seconds left on the clock. Even if the Giants recovered the onside kick they needed a TD. Lastly I wouldn't say not allowing the kicking team to recover an onside kick could be considered "lucky".

If the defense allows a last minute TD and their is an onside kick ..that is the definition of "holding on" for the win. It was a push for the defense, in no realm of reality can you consider the defense as "bailing out" the offense in that game.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the defense allows a last minute TD and their is an onside kick ..that is the definition of "holding on" for the win. It was a push for the defense, in no realm of reality can you consider the defense as "bailing out" the offense in that game.

It was a last second kick, not a last minute kick. I am not saying who bailed out who for the game, but you brought up the end game scenario and twisted the facts to suit your case. Didn't we have like 6 turnovers in that game?

The defense scored the game winning TD and the Offense did NOTHING at crunch time. When you are winning a Football game by two scores late in the game, your goal is not to keep the other team from scoring, your goal is to win the game. The clock is your strongest ally and knowing how much time is left is a big part of winning the game. If you try to get too aggressive, you give up a score with a minute left instead of a few seconds and then you have to hang on. Isn't this that we are all criticizing JG for this week? Put me down right now for having our defense score as many points as they give up in the final minutes of a game we are winning every time.

Mrhappi06

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Vikings game is always used as an example of Romo bailing the team out. Heres the truth. Not only did the D stop the Vikings after Romo's 4th quarter INT, they scored a TD themselves.
I often question if people really watch the games here.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a last second kick, not a last minute kick. I am not saying who bailed out who for the game, but you brought up the end game scenario and twisted the facts to suit your case. Didn't we have like 6 turnovers in that game?

The defense scored the game winning TD and the Offense did NOTHING at crunch time. When you are winning a Football game by two scores late in the game, your goal is not to keep the other team from scoring, your goal is to win the game. The clock is your strongest ally and knowing how much time is left is a big part of winning the game. If you try to get too aggressive, you give up a score with a minute left instead of a few seconds and then you have to hang on. Isn't this that we are all criticizing JG for this week? Put me down right now for having our defense score as many points as they give up in the final minutes of a game we are winning every time.

I did not twist any facts ... I was the only one who listed the facts on how that game "actually" ended.

And to state that " a pick six sealed the deal" was very misleading. To be honest, the last minutes of the game was not really a shinning moment for the D or the O.

WFRYE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict this team will bring in another young QB after this season. Jerry will never concede that he made a mistake extending Oh No too early, but they have to at least consider bringing in a smarter QB. This is what happens when you prematurely fall in love with a player's ability instead of what they really are. Jerry really has no business running a professional football team and equating that to oil wildcatting?? He just lets his emotions and beliefs about about any given situation get the best of him. All the successful franchises hire football people and let them make hose decisions and just get out of their way...but not Jerry. He has to be the center of attraction and command attention to what he perceives as having a legitimate football mind lol. You can own anything, but does that then make you the master ofa king it the best? I often wonder why a man like Jerry just surrounds himself with yes people and has no one that can reason with him about his obvious failures in this area and need to pull back, but I guess if it's your toy and you paid for it, no one else can play with it? Jerry has become the new Al Davis, football owner believing he can seriously evaluate NFL player personnel, and until he retires, this will be the Dallas Cowboys.

Last edited by a moderator:

WFRYE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man if they could only find another gem like Russell Wilson in the 3rd round.

tcb1964

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wished the Dallas Defense was held to half the standards Romo is held. DeMarcus Ware is a joke but nobody ever says anything about him!