• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tomsula New HC

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tomsula is not a Harbaugh guy. He was a holdover from Nolan. I would not consider Mangini a Harbaugh guy either. He comes from the Belichick/Parcells tree where Baalke is from. None of these guys came from Stanford with Harbaugh

Yeah, and why I used Harbaugh's "Staff" versus "Harbaugh guys from Stanford". But the point is our FO office didn't "run off" Harbaugh's Staff from 2014. Three 2014 coaches are in key positions, others BTW being Foerster and Rathman.

That's why we intend to stick with similar schemes, cause of these same guys from the 2014 Staff.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that working in favor of Tomsula a bit (because York and Baalke are not seen as innocent or good in all this), but for the expectations affect to be significant, the expectation of Tomsula being a lesser coach than Harbaugh can't be the reason of the lowered expectations that will be ok because the expectations were low. I don't know if I'm articulating myself. Tomsula is better than Homer Simpson, but bear with me: If Homer Simpson took over your job, you'd assume him to do a worse job, but when the plant has a fire instead of exploding, sure you blame Burns for hiring Homer, but that doesn't take the blame off of Homer.

But if the expectations this year are low because we don't know how Kaepernick will do, we have some injuries somewhere, St. Louis appears to get better (hypothetically), etc. then these low expectations help Tomsula significantly (above still helped but little).

My concern is that the players will not respect Tomsula if they believe he is but a Yes Man for ownership. If the players don't think he's legit or has any real power, they might not respect him or play for him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern is that the players will not respect Tomsula if they believe he is but a Yes Man for ownership. If the players don't think he's legit or has any real power, they might not respect him or play for him.

Maybe, except that he might not be a yes man from reports of his abilities to strongly say what he thinks (got it from Chris_Pozz so that's a fact as far as I'm concerned). Whether he is or isn't a yes man, who knows what players think he is? If they think he's a yes man, they still have contracts to try to earn for the future and most, if not all, are competitive, at least for the first half of games until the season starts letting itself known how it's going.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

this is a definite concern this off-season, players need to know these coaches know what they're doing, his staff has good ideas, and the staff is in sync. they can't start off the off-season doing the same exact thing Harbaugh's staff was doing.

no different from any new coaching staff, on any team. they need to show the players they're good coaches from the get go. that they have knowledge and are a little innovative, and not just "going thru the motions".

If this is done well, players buy in.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is a definite concern this off-season, players need to know these coaches know what they're doing, his staff has good ideas, and the staff is in sync. they can't start off the off-season doing the same exact thing Harbaugh's staff was doing.

no different from any new coaching staff, on any team. they need to show the players they're good coaches from the get go. that they have knowledge and are a little innovative, and not just "going thru the motions".

If this is done well, players buy in.
Of course this is way different. No HC that I have seen in recent years has had his staff picked for him from the FO. This may work but I have my doubts.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Of course this is way different. No HC that I have seen in recent years has had his staff picked for him from the FO. This may work but I have my doubts.

are you saying Tomsula had absolutely NO say in his staff, none of them?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Tomsula had a say in his staff. Some of the coaches had ties to Tomsula in NFL Europe. I think he had a bigger say than people realize.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Tomsula had a say in his staff. Some of the coaches had ties to Tomsula in NFL Europe. I think he had a bigger say than people realize.

agree and don't think its much different from other new HC's, and other teams? Can't help think other GM's participate in finding Assistant Coaches too? They help the HC with their league wide contacts, finding leads and talking to potential candidates? How else do you make the search thorough, cause the new HC can't know everybody.

Have to believe the FINAL decisions on Assistants, lies with Tomsula.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, except that he might not be a yes man from reports of his abilities to strongly say what he thinks (got it from Chris_Pozz so that's a fact as far as I'm concerned). Whether he is or isn't a yes man, who knows what players think he is? If they think he's a yes man, they still have contracts to try to earn for the future and most, if not all, are competitive, at least for the first half of games until the season starts letting itself known how it's going.

Well, I heard that he was not even allowed to go to the Senior Bowl with Baalke to evaluate talent. That doesn't sound good.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, I heard that he was not even allowed to go to the Senior Bowl with Baalke to evaluate talent. That doesn't sound good.

Tomsula has more than enough to do coordinating his new Staff. Did he even finalize his staff during the Senior Bowl? His largest responsibility at this time is setting the off season game plan. I'd think this includes a little of the medical and training staffs?

He needs to set directions for his Coordinators to carry out. He needs to work with his new 49er coaches, reviewing all players.

for this season, wouldn't want him at the Senior Bowl.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say that he didn't have a bit of input but to say he had any kind of pull for the coaching staff is a bit of a reach. Tomsula is the puppet of Jed and Baalke. The sooner everyone gets this, the sooner fans get how this season will be the 'Season of the FO'.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree and don't think its much different from other new HC's, and other teams? Can't help think other GM's participate in finding Assistant Coaches too? They help the HC with their league wide contacts, finding leads and talking to potential candidates? How else do you make the search thorough, cause the new HC can't know everybody.

Have to believe the FINAL decisions on Assistants, lies with Tomsula.
I doubt that, but think what you want really. Tomsula is the HC that this FO always wished for, a yes man. We will see how well HIS staff gets the job done.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was any proof that he had a 'say' on staff ,it would have come out a while back. This coaching staff was picked by Jed and Baalke. I know this is just my opinion but prove me wrong.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was any proof that he had a 'say' on staff ,it would have come out a while back. This coaching staff was picked by Jed and Baalke. I know this is just my opinion but prove me wrong.

Darken, I could say the say thing. What proof do youu have Baakle chose the staff? Some of the staff members have ties to Tomsula and NFl Europe. If Baalke was the one behind choosing the assistants, I doubt we would see any coaches that worked with Tomsula in Europe

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I doubt that, but think what you want really. Tomsula is the HC that this FO always wished for, a yes man. We will see how well HIS staff gets the job done.

ok, no big deal. not trying to say you're 100% wrong, just felt you're too extreme.

anyway, if this 'new' organization doesn't go well, EVERYONE gets blame. We fans can point fingers like no other, even the Bus Driver will get pulled in. haaaa

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
these articles are reporting Tomsula filling his Staff. note some of the previous connections to Tomsula with other teams.

it doesn't say Baalke/York have filled an Assistant position.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2...-Tomsula/0cae855c-c835-4332-9408-d6f3c362385b

note the very first sentence under the large, bold, red heading.

"Am I going to be a part of that process? Yes," Baalke said. "Am I going to be the final decision maker? No. Jim is putting together a staff that he feels he can go out and work every day."

That's what I said, Baalke had input and likely used his connections. But he wasn't the ONLY one assembling the Staff.