• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Count MLB commissioner Rob Manfred as being of the opinion that bat flips in baseball are perfectly okay.

Manfred appeared on ESPN’s Mike and Mike on Friday morning, and he backed Bryce Harper’s recent call for more expression in the modern game.

“I think it’s always been true in baseball that, with respect to what happens on the field, not the rules, but the way players conduct themselves, that each generation of players defines what’s acceptable baseball. It’s not always been exactly the same,” Manfred said when asked about the old school vs. new school debate. “I kinda line up with Bryce Harper on this. I think that we’ve got a great generation of young stars coming into the game. And just like Goose [Gossage] and his peers decided certain things were okay, certain things weren’t, this generation is going to define what the game looks like on those topics.”

Manfred was then asked if he, as a fan, took issue with Jose Bautista’s bat flip in the 2015 ALDS.

“If I were a player, I wouldn’t do that,” Manfred admitted. “The fact of the matter is, what he did did not offend me. It was a very, very exciting moment at a point in time of great excitement for that particular franchise, one that hadn’t been a great team for a long time. You know, it’s one of those moments that happens and it’s exciting, people liked it, and probably on balance, it’s good for the game.”
I disagree with Mr. Manfred. It may be debatable if it is bad for the game or how bad it is, but I see no way that it is good for the game. Like too many other leaders I believe Mr. Manfred is trying to be politically correct.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers are bound to be better this time around

A year ago, the likes of Martinez, Gonzalez, Wandy Rodriguez , Ross Detwiler and Matt Harrison combined to make 56 of the season’s 162 starts.

And what about the Texas bullpen upgrade? Twelve months ago the Rangers were staring at a bullpen group that included Logan Verrett, Jon Edwards, Stolmy Pimentel, Tanner Scheppers and Neftali Feliz.

This year’s relief corps, with midseason additions Sam Dyson and Jake Diekman and bolstered by newcomers Tony Barnette and Tom Wilhelmsen, has a chance to be one of the best in the American League.

The lineup is better and deeper, as well. A year ago the club broke camp with Carlos Peguero, Kyle Blanks, Jake Smolinski and Adam Rosales all expected to get major league playing time.

This year card-carrying big leaguers Justin Ruggiano and Pedro Ciriaco found themselves on the roster bubble, and Josh Hamilton, recovering from a knee procedure, projects as a fourth outfielder.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also from the above article.

The Rangers’ major league lineup is loaded.

A few national pundits don’t agree — Baseball Prospectus, notably, which has the 2016 Rangers pegged at 80-82, third place. Let me save you $16: They don’t like the pitching.

Of course, I don’t know about your fantasy or sim league, but in ours there are two kinds of managers. There are the ones who breathlessly await Baseball Prospectus every year and swear by its projections at the annual draft. And there are the other ones, the ones who win the league.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with Bautista's bat flip. I also have no problem with Dyson planting one on his hip if he gets the chance.

After seeing Bautista's actions, it seems like 30 times, it really wasn't a flip at all. He tossed the bat toward our dugout in an obviously display of, "the hell-with-you-guys, what do I care what you think?"

There's a big difference, in my mind anyway, of a player showing some emotion (bat flip) than hurling your bat 12-15 feet in the air, and 30 feet toward the opposing teams dugout.

So, I'm all for someone from the Rangers knocking the crap outta this prick.

PS.......same goes for that A-hole Donaldson.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opening day tickets are outrageous but I just scored a killer deal on Tuesdays game on stubhub. 16 rows up from the vistor dugout for $42 a ticket.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with Mr. Manfred. It may be debatable if it is bad for the game or how bad it is, but I see no way that it is good for the game. Like too many other leaders I believe Mr. Manfred is trying to be politically correct.
I disagree as well. There is nothing wrong with expression without showing up the other pitcher or team. I mean who does not remember Kirk Gibson running around the bases and doing his arm pumps. The problem with baseball being okay with things like what Bautista did is it goes beyond MLB and down to High School and Little Leagues. I mean, do we want kids doing that stuff and thinking it is okay? And then it becomes a time to retaliate or whatever at any level of baseball. Then the results could be severe. I think Manfred is missing the big picture here.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opening day tickets are outrageous but I just scored a killer deal on Tuesdays game on stubhub. 16 rows up from the vistor dugout for $42 a ticket.
You could have bought two and met me at the turnstile. LOL. Enjoy and have fun.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers are bound to be better this time around

A year ago, the likes of Martinez, Gonzalez, Wandy Rodriguez , Ross Detwiler and Matt Harrison combined to make 56 of the season’s 162 starts.

And what about the Texas bullpen upgrade? Twelve months ago the Rangers were staring at a bullpen group that included Logan Verrett, Jon Edwards, Stolmy Pimentel, Tanner Scheppers and Neftali Feliz.

This year’s relief corps, with midseason additions Sam Dyson and Jake Diekman and bolstered by newcomers Tony Barnette and Tom Wilhelmsen, has a chance to be one of the best in the American League.

The lineup is better and deeper, as well. A year ago the club broke camp with Carlos Peguero, Kyle Blanks, Jake Smolinski and Adam Rosales all expected to get major league playing time.

This year card-carrying big leaguers Justin Ruggiano and Pedro Ciriaco found themselves on the roster bubble, and Josh Hamilton, recovering from a knee procedure, projects as a fourth outfielder.

In hindsight, I can't believe how terrible Harrison ( I know his injury history) and Rosales would be. I knew Detwiler would suck ass tho.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Enjoy, and most importantly GET US A WIN. ha

FYI, batting practice starts at 12:30.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opening day is a circus. Just get tickets for the next game at an affordable price. Night games are better anyway.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This hasn't a damn thing to do with baseball or our beloved Rangers.......But's it 7:01 PM and I wouldn't want to be within the same zip-code with romeo right now. Not kidding!

If you're not watching the NCAA B-ball tourney, you won't understand.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the game recorded. I shouldn't have looked at my phone. :tsk: