• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peter Gammons: 2016 pre-season predictions - GammonsDaily.com

“The fans in those metropolitan areas really don’t like one another,” says Jon Daniels.

I think JD is only half right in this statement. I believe the vast majority of the dislike is one way. Houston doesn't like us because of the dominance of the Cowboys in times past. Most fans in the Metroplex don't care one way or the other about Houston fans.

AWARDS
AL MVP: No apologies necessary—Mike Trout is the best player in the league, and while he doesn’t have a great lineup around him, he should be exempt from the notion that the Angels have to win 88 games for him to be the most valuable. When it comes time to fill out the ballots come the final weekend of the season, Eric Hosmer Adrian Beltre, Manny Machado, Carlos Correa, Mookie Betts and Robinson Cano will be in the top five on a lot of ballots.

NL MVP: The same applies to Bryce Harper. But this may be the year that Andrew McCutchen gets his due, and wins over Harper, Goldschmidt, Buster Posey, Giancarlo Stanton and Anthony Rizzo. Don’t overlook Matt Holliday, either.

AL Cy Young: Garrett Richards, narrowly over Corey Kluber, Chris Archer, Marcus Stroman, David Price and Cole Hamels.

NL Cy Young: Clayton Kershaw. In a ballot war over Jose Fernandez, Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, Jake Arrieta, Adam Wainwright, Gerritt Cole, Zack Greinke, Madison Bumgarner…a great pitchers’ league.

AL Rookie of the year: Tyler Naquin.

NL Rookie of the year: Corey Seager.

My favorite story of the spring came this week when Tony Barnette was told he’d made the Rangers opening day bullpen, a decade after being drafted by the Diamondbacks, compiling a 4.36 ERA in 5 minor league seasons, going to Japan for six years and becoming an elite closer who rang up 41 saves and a 1.29 ERA for the Yakult Swallows, and returned. Oh yes. And on the day Tony Barnette this week was told he’d finally made the big leagues in his 11th pro season, he left the park, took his wife Hillary to the hospital, where she gave birth to their second child.