• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2015 Season Thread

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Moreno and DiPoto both said that Hamilton would not play another inning for that team. Period. They could bench him. There are other avenues to take besides keeping him on the DL to ensure he didn't play again.

There's a little problem with that though, and it goes by the name "The Major League Baseball Players Association."

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's their choice though, and I hope he makes them look more stupid. Not even because I want the Rangers to benefit. I just want their franchise to look as dumb as possible forever, because it makes me feel better about how shitty Texas is right now.

Well I'm with you on that one. I hate that franchise. I hope he goes nuts with the Rangers just to stick it to them.

I just love that they got the short end of the stick in every last Ranger-Angel migration, from GMJ to CJ to Napoli to Josh. Eat it Moreno.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a little problem with that though, and it goes by the name "The Major League Baseball Players Association."

The MLBPA can't force a manager to play someone. They have no legal recourse there whatsoever. No judge EVER would step in and enforce that a manager play someone. That would set a ridiculously dangerous precedent where any player who felt like he wasn't being played enough could seek legal action via the Player's Association.

Nowhere in his contract does it say Josh must be played by Mik Scoscia x amount of games.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The MLBPA can't force a manager to play someone. They have no legal recourse there whatsoever. No judge EVER would step in and enforce that a manager play someone. That would set a ridiculously dangerous precedent where any player who felt like he wasn't being played enough could seek legal action via the Player's Association.

Nowhere in his contract does it say Josh must be played by Mik Scoscia x amount of games.

That's an awesome point. Superseded, of course, by the very public comments and actions of people much higher in the organization than Scioscia. The Angels can't simply "refuse to let" an otherwise healthy player from being with the team, which is exactly what the owner and GM were doing.

This trade happens because Hamilton is about to be ready to come off the DL. The Angels can't keep him from doing that, and trading him is the only way to make sure he "never plays for them again", per the wishes of the owner. The $7m in "savings" you're so pissed about is just a gesture so everything is above board with the two teams involved and the MLBPA (who were very much an active participant in this negotiation, so yes they have much more pull than you are giving them credit for).

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an awesome point. Superseded, of course, by the very public comments and actions of people much higher in the organization than Scioscia. The Angels can't simply "refuse to let" an otherwise healthy player from being with the team, which is exactly what the owner and GM were doing.

This trade happens because Hamilton is about to be ready to come off the DL. The Angels can't keep him from doing that, and trading him is the only way to make sure he "never plays for them again", per the wishes of the owner. The $7m in "savings" you're so pissed about is just a gesture so everything is above board with the two teams involved and the MLBPA (who were very much an active participant in this negotiation, so yes they have much more pull than you are giving them credit for).

I'm not "pissed" about the $7M in savings, not in the least. I was simply pointing out that this trade doesn't "set the Angels back" like you claim it does. Essentially they saved $7M and we're paying pennies on the dollar to kick the tires on a player who was once really really good. There is little to no risk involved for the Rangers. The Angels save a little pocket change. I just have a hard time welcoming the guy back with open arms because he's a self-centered and moody meathead and that press conference just confirmed that he hasn't changed. He essentially blamed the Angels for everything that went wrong. He and his wife blamed the Rangers on his way out for not taking good enough care of him. Same ole Josh. I will root for him though because I love the Rangers and hate the Angels.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still claim that.

Signing him to that contract set them back. Ridding themselves of his drama and lack of production and managing to get anything at all in savings does not hurt them. The moment they inked that deal with him they were on the hook for all things Josh Hamilton, including drugs, booze, injuries, and drama. So whether the Rangers traded for him or not the Angels were screwed.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called sunk cost. Economics 101.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ridding themselves of his drama

That's the thing... the Angels come out of this looking so much worse than Hamilton ever could.

Look, this debate is unnecessary. You disagree with my opinion that the Angels suffered a setback from this ordeal. That's fine. The ordeal has still happened, and my head is still trying to process that.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's not setting them back anything. They were already on the hook to pay him $83M to stay away from the team. They're now paying $76M to do the same thing. We just saved them $7M.

As for how it will play out with Texas, part II, that's anyone's guess. But the Angels are $7M richer than they were a week ago.

True. TEX actually saved them $15M ... its just that the TEX bill is less because of no TEX income tax. TEX also opened up a spot on their 40man roster they would have been stuck with through 2017.

The good deal for TEX is that for $7mil TEX made sure Hamilton would not get back on track on the LAA roster in the two years where TEX will be back competing. If he does get back on track now ... he's doing it for TEX. If he doesn't get back on track ... it is costing less than $2mil a season.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing... the Angels come out of this looking so much worse than Hamilton ever could.

Look, this debate is unnecessary. You disagree with my opinion that the Angels suffered a setback from this ordeal. That's fine. The ordeal has still happened, and my head is still trying to process that.

No worries. I didn't mean any will by the debate. If you're talking about a PR setback suffered by the Angels, then I would agree with you. It's certainly a black eye for their team. I was just referring more to an operational or performance-based setback or lack thereof. Arte Moreno basically prints money and just spends more to cover each mistake.

And I'm with you on still processing the whole thing. I still can't believe Josh is back... never thought I'd see the day.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We've probably got a worse deal with Choo.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. That's why sending Choo to LAA for Hamilton but the money was such a good deal. Too bad LAA sent so much money. Maybe the PTBNL can be Choo. But he can't be on the 40 man to be PTBNL unless its after the season is over.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just heard that tomorrow's CHW @ BAL game will be played without allowing any fans into Camden Yard. That's crazy. Baseball is entertainment business. Are they making the theater in the closed mall run its showings despite no customers? Would a rock concert go on without an audience?

Politicians who have no business acumen are totally useless. Especially lawyers.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard that tomorrow's CHW @ BAL game will be played without allowing any fans into Camden Yard. That's crazy. Baseball is entertainment business. Are they making the theater in the closed mall run its showings despite no customers? Would a rock concert go on without an audience?

Politicians who have no business acumen are totally useless. Especially lawyers.
They are contractually obligated to play those games. I wouldn't want people in there either. Baltimore is imploding right now.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are contractually obligated to play those games. I wouldn't want people in there either. Baltimore is imploding right now.

I say if they want to act like animals, they should be treated like animals.