• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Todays game

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me watching the Dodgers and Padres doing better than us

View attachment 304183
We may not have the proper FO in place (maybe we do, I just have my doubts right now), but we have the rest of the infrastructure in place to be long-term contenders (right up there with the Yankees, Cards, dogs, etc). This is just the down period.

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excited Season 6 GIF by The Office
Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends
Bill Murray Applause GIF by MOODMAN

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may not have the proper FO in place (maybe we do, I just have my doubts right now), but we have the rest of the infrastructure in place to be long-term contenders (right up there with the Yankees, Cards, dogs, etc). This is just the down period.
Not being snarky here . .... but what do you mean by ...... we have the rest of the infrastructure in place to be long term contenders ...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not being snarky here . .... but what do you mean by ...... we have the rest of the infrastructure in place to be long term contenders ...
I assumed it to mean the ability to have a large payroll and the fanbase to support it. But maybe he means other things and will let him answer for his statements. :ranger:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assumed it to mean the ability to have a large payroll and the fanbase to support it. But maybe he means other things and will let him answer for his statements. :ranger:
Those are parts of it. Probably the main part.

But I keep hearing about how we have the best development facility in AZ of any team. I have never seen it, and it may be a lot of blown smoke, but it is talked about a LOT about how the Giants have incredible facilities.

I also have heard that we have the best school in the DR. Again, I know nothing about nothing, but I have heard it talked about.

That said, our Latin pipeline is probably one of the more bare in the bigs. Sure, we currently have Doval, and we have Luciano and Matos coming up, but who have we produced in the last 20 years? Pablo and Luis Castillo? That’s about it. A-Ray? A bunch of AAAA players?

Sorry, I need to stop ranting. 3 rings in a LIFETIME is enough. Anything additional should be gravy…

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But I keep hearing about how we have the best development facility in AZ of any team. I have never seen it, and it may be a lot of blown smoke, but it is talked about a LOT about how the Giants have incredible facilities.

I also have heard that we have the best school in the DR. Again, I know nothing about nothing, but I have heard it talked about.

That said, our Latin pipeline is probably one of the more bare in the bigs. Sure, we currently have Doval, and we have Luciano and Matos coming up, but who have we produced in the last 20 years? Pablo and Luis Castillo? That’s about it. A-Ray? A bunch of AAAA players?

Sorry, I need to stop ranting. 3 rings in a LIFETIME is enough. Anything additional should be gravy…
As a fan, there seems to be a fine line between entitlement and wanting to root for an exciting team. Sure, fandom means you pick a team and stick with that team in its highs and lows. There will be lows. But does that mean we want to see the team stay low? No, we want to know that the team isn't just playing for the sake of playing but they want to win and will do what it takes to win. Yet, mathematics tells us that the odds are stacked against us to see consistent winners in our lifetimes. How improbable is it that we would have seen our team win 3 times in 5 years?!?!
So I think it is hard to understand the balance of thankfulness for what we've gotten and enjoying the team for the sake of baseball yet not getting lulled into believing all we deserve is bottom dwellers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a fan, there seems to be a fine line between entitlement and wanting to root for an exciting team. Sure, fandom means you pick a team and stick with that team in its highs and lows. There will be lows. But does that mean we want to see the team stay low? No, we want to know that the team isn't just playing for the sake of playing but they want to win and will do what it takes to win. Yet, mathematics tells us that the odds are stacked against us to see consistent winners in our lifetimes. How improbable is it that we would have seen our team win 3 times in 5 years?!?!
So I think it is hard to understand the balance of thankfulness for what we've gotten and enjoying the team for the sake of baseball yet not getting lulled into believing all we deserve is bottom dwellers.
There is a tightrope walk involved. Absolutely. Pre-10, I enjoyed the game for the game. The anticipation of eventually winning a chip added to the enjoyment and anticipation of the game. In life in general, I have found that anticipation is FAR more enjoyable than acquisition. Wanting a thing is better than having a thing. now that we have experienced “having” with the Giants, the anticipation is not the same anymore (post-coital, if you will).

But on top of that, there is the issue of rooting for laundry. If there isn’t something in how your team is run that pulls you in, then when you really think about it, you are just rooting for a shirt, or a marketing campaign. I looked at the As and how they ran things and thanked the Flying Spaghetti Monster that I wasn’t a fan of that franchise. Now, my team is run that way. And I can’t stand it. So I am left rooting for laundry. And I have a hard time convincing myself to continue with that.

But I believe there is hope. This ownership group has shown that they want to win and are willing to do what it takes to do so. They have seen that putting a good product on the field leads to full stands and big time merch sales. They hired the current FO 4 years ago. And where we are RIGHT NOW is BEHIND where we were when they came in. I am more than willing to give them another year (or so) before I wave my arms calling for their heads, but honestly, I am not certain what they can do in the next year or two to win me back.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100% about the difference between anticipation and acquisition. That seems to be part of the aging process itself. It many cases the chase is much more rewarding than the capture.
BUT ... I miss the enjoyment of the pre-10 year old. I miss the enjoyment and anticilation that always accompanied the start of a new season.
I will forever miss the way that I looked at baseball as a pre-10 yearold. Guess I just miss being a kid again. Everything was so much simpler then. Didn't have a million different metrics to define my team or my favorite players.
Life was simpler and so was baseball.

But things change and baseball does to. Now it's all about contracts, metrics, FAs, farm systems and the 'windows' of opportunity. You need to build a contender, maintain that contender .. and have everything working for at least a 3 to 5 year window. Then hope for the best. Playoffs are a crapshoot. But you have to get there to even have a chance.

Good ownership teams working with good management teams can sometimes extend that 3-5 year window. They are excellent at working the maintenance cycle. As much as I hate saying it .. the doggies are a very good at this ... close to a 10 year window ....

As Cal said ... I think we have a great ownership team .... but the management team still has a way to go if we are going to settle into a 3-5 year window of opportunity.
I just don't see how this constant churn and platooning of players helps to either develop the players or solidify the roster. As Cal stated ... it's like rooting for laundry ...

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100% about the difference between anticipation and acquisition. That seems to be part of the aging process itself. It many cases the chase is much more rewarding than the capture.
BUT ... I miss the enjoyment of the pre-10 year old. I miss the enjoyment and anticilation that always accompanied the start of a new season.
I will forever miss the way that I looked at baseball as a pre-10 yearold. Guess I just miss being a kid again. Everything was so much simpler then. Didn't have a million different metrics to define my team or my favorite players.
Life was simpler and so was baseball.

But things change and baseball does to. Now it's all about contracts, metrics, FAs, farm systems and the 'windows' of opportunity. You need to build a contender, maintain that contender .. and have everything working for at least a 3 to 5 year window. Then hope for the best. Playoffs are a crapshoot. But you have to get there to even have a chance.

Good ownership teams working with good management teams can sometimes extend that 3-5 year window. They are excellent at working the maintenance cycle. As much as I hate saying it .. the doggies are a very good at this ... close to a 10 year window ....

As Cal said ... I think we have a great ownership team .... but the management team still has a way to go if we are going to settle into a 3-5 year window of opportunity.
I just don't see how this constant churn and platooning of players helps to either develop the players or solidify the roster. As Cal stated ... it's like rooting for laundry ...

Agree with you, SF, but I think Cal meant 2010 by "10", not 10 years old. I could be wrong, Cal can be cryptic at times, since he's another of tzill's alts.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with you, SF, but I think Cal meant 2010 by "10", not 10 years old. I could be wrong, Cal can be cryptic at times, since he's another of tzill's alts.
I did mean pre-2010. As in, pre-have.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did mean pre-2010. As in, pre-have.
Ahhh ... still agreed with everything you said. What you wrote just resonated with the kid still in me. I really hate the churn process. I dont know anything about half of these people he picks up. Either you all post some stats or I'm off looking on the net for some data. Just not fun these days.much easier to live with when you are winning. Not the case with the way they are playing. Not really knowing these players .... makes it like ... rooting for laundry...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought cal was saying he is 10 years old now. Weird. I thought he was at least 12.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok gollum...

1659781532664.png

And we had a shot at 5...