• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

To all the cooks

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note, I went to NC recently. I tried two different BBQ places recommended by the locals and I must say they were horrible. So disappointed.

I have had carolina bbq too and really didn't like it. Had a yellow mustard sauce. Just not my thang.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Man, they were made for beer. Just little pieces of bone with meat that you suck right off. Had to have a beer beside them though. That was South Omaha cuisine

Do you still get the pack of gizzards, hearts and livers when you buy a chicken where you are?
We don't get that pack anymore in our chicken in MN, but man if you put some bbq sauce, onions and a few spices in them, wrap them in tinfoil and grill them it's delicious.. A little hors d'oeuvres before the chicken's done.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't remember to save my life. Near the bball stadium, you enter through a side alley.

Sounds like Vergos BBQ. You go down an alley and it's down in a basement?

If so tried it too. Good bbq but over priced. And Memphis style is dry rub. They really coat the stuff with rub after it's done. I prefer a sauce on them which you can get in Memphis too. Memphis is a great place to party if you are into the history of rock'n'roll and blues. Beales Street is awesome.

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably Rendezvous. Not even the best there.

That's the name! What's the best there? I have to say, I'm sad I only went to the Kooky Canuck once - I should've gone back and gotten that deep-fried cornish game hen injected with butter.

Do you still get the pack of gizzards, hearts and livers when you buy a chicken where you are?
We don't get that pack anymore in our chicken in MN, but man if you put some bbq sauce, onions and a few spices in them, wrap them in tinfoil and grill them it's delicious.. A little hors d'oeuvres before the chicken's done.

That's so horrible that you don't get that pack! I put them in the chicken with sweet onion and bayleaves when I roast it, and then later I chop up the gizzards and onions and fry them with egg to make a hash. Delicious!

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
That's the name! What's the best there? I have to say, I'm sad I only went to the Kooky Canuck once - I should've gone back and gotten that deep-fried cornish game hen injected with butter.

That's so horrible that you don't get that pack! I put them in the chicken with sweet onion and bayleaves when I roast it, and then later I chop up the gizzards and onions and fry them with egg to make a hash. Delicious!

I know, and it was all of a sudden too. They just stopped putting them in there. Now you have to ask for them from the butcher.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still get them here and they go in the trash. My wife likes the livers but I just can't stomach them. Their only purpose is to take the toxins out of the chicken and then throw them away. :D

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, and it was all of a sudden too. They just stopped putting them in there. Now you have to ask for them from the butcher.

That blows. We can buy packs of chicken livers in the store, and we bake them for the cats. The boy cat can't process the magnesium in most cat foods, so we give them liver for most of their meals.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My favorite was the Bar-B-Q shop on Madison I think.

Gus's was thee best for fried chicken.

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think I went to either of those. I went to sooo many places though, I can't be sure lol

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uncle Lou's is the best for fried chicken. You have to drive through the projects to get there but daytime you are safe.

Get some of that Uncle Lou's Sweet Spicy Love Sauce. UMM UMM UMM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we've got some serious talent on this site. I would like to know how many people would be down for a cooking contest based on recipe and pics.

Obviously taste is the most important thing, but unfortunately that's not something that can be evaluated.

You'll have to be creative with your recipe and make it look/sound good.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Still get them here and they go in the trash. My wife likes the livers but I just can't stomach them. Their only purpose is to take the toxins out of the chicken and then throw them away. :D

Not a fan of any kind of liver myself, and I don't eat them.
But they came in the pack with gizzards and hearts.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I think we've got some serious talent on this site. I would like to know how many people would be down for a cooking contest based on recipe and pics.

Obviously taste is the most important thing, but unfortunately that's not something that can be evaluated.

You'll have to be creative with your recipe and make it look/sound good.

I would love to hear, and try some of the recipes of the SportsHoopla..
Especially if you make your own rubs and brine..

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of any kind of liver myself, and I don't eat them.
But they came in the pack with gizzards and hearts.

If you put gizzards and hearts in chicken soup and stew it for longer it tastes absolutely delicious!