• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Three no brainer moves that Mattingly refuses to make

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I understand how those stats work. In fact, it is my understanding of those stats which lends me to not care too much about what they mean.

ERA is a quick and dirty stat that gives a half-decent approximation in very large samples of data. In small sample sizes (13 innings for Hatcher, come on), it's just about worthless.

In one game, an out is an out. Over the course of a season, different trends develop and these trends can be a better indicator of success.

Actua wins for pitchers count for points in fantasy, so I do like wins for that. Same goes for saves. Other than that, saves and wins and losses don't mean much to me.

Last year the Dodgers had a bullpen full of former closers with a lot of saves. That bullpen was pathetic.

This year's bullpen is contructed with SABR stats and guess what? It's been one of the best bullpens in baseball.

As of today, the Dodgers bullpen ranks:

1st in WAR
2nd in K% (Best in NL)
2nd in xFIP (Best in NL)
2nd in K/BB (Best in NL)
2nd in SIERA (Best in NL)

And as much as everyone loves to talk about how over-used the bullpen is, only four teams have thrown less relief innings than the Dodgers.

Ya, once again I understand how fantasy baseball works, I was playing it before you knew what it was!

Ya we had a bunch of "former" closers last year, that's why our bullpen was bad, because they were "washed up" former closers! And say what you want about ERA, but I don't care if a guy has only pitched 13 innings, if his ERA is 7.00 that means he is giving up a ton of runs, especially if they are only pitching an inning or less at a time. That means more times than not, he ISN'T getting the job done!

I will agree with you that all those other stats you mention can come into play, but if Hatcher gets sent down or anyone ekes for that matter, it will be a combination of things, and that includes their ERA, because they aren't getting the job done!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The debate is not whether or not Hatcher has been struggling. He's clearly been having a hard time.

My argument is that it's too early in the year to give up on him.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The debate is not whether or not Hatcher has been struggling. He's clearly been having a hard time.

My argument is that it's too early in the year to give up on him.

I'm not arguing with you about not giving up on him, he obviously has a lot of talent, but he is struggling right now and should not be used in close games "right now" until he figures out what is going on with his delivery.

I totally agree about not giving up on him!

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, it seems like we have been lucky. I am really impressed how the staff is holding together. We have some scrub starters (Bolsinger and Frias) who are holding down the fort for the most part. Its a matter of time before it strikes midnight I think.

I just don't understand why we don't develop our #1 picks. There is no reason Lee and maybe even Anderson should not be in the rotation. The Cardinals draft players and promote them. We draft pitchers and keep them in the minor forever (outside of Kershaw). We just don't develop them for some reason. Hopefully some of these Cuban pitcher we sign July 1 can get us going in the right direction. Our 4th and 5th starters always appear to be be substandard it seems.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't develop our #1 picks? What do you think they're doing in the minors? Playing ping pong?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what we are doing down there. Outside of Kershaw, when is the last Dodger draft pick who was called up as a starter, pitched well and remained with the team?
Reed, Lee and Anderson aren't progressing as well as they should. Lee should already be in the majors at this point.

The bottom line is that we can't keep relying on Frias and Bolsinger. I have no idea what the Front Office plans to do for the remainder of the year.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These scrub lineups are killing us. This organization has no depth.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree with that from a batting standpoint.

The pitching ranks are a bit thin if you consider the long haul.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

might me the most ridiculous thing said yet. you're lucky we have who we have right now considering all or injuries.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, it seems like we have been lucky. I am really impressed how the staff is holding together. We have some scrub starters (Bolsinger and Frias) who are holding down the fort for the most part. Its a matter of time before it strikes midnight I think.

I just don't understand why we don't develop our #1 picks. There is no reason Lee and maybe even Anderson should not be in the rotation. The Cardinals draft players and promote them. We draft pitchers and keep them in the minor forever (outside of

Kershaw). We just don't develop them for some reason. Hopefully some of these Cuban pitcher we sign July 1 can get us going in the right direction. Our 4th and 5th starters always appear to be be substandard it seems.

I would have to say that last years 4-5 starters were pretty good, most teams would love to have Haren and Beckett as their 4-5 guys. Ya Beckett got hurt, but those two are pretty good options at 4-5

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but Mattingly just doesn't know how to handle a pitching staff! You have one of your top two pitchers on the mound in Greinke, but you pull him with two outs and a runner on 1st in the 7th inning. It's Grienkes game to win or lose at that point, you go with what got you to that point, he was pitching a great game.

Libertore is warming up and you bring him in, he does the job, but sits for 10 minutes after pitching to ONE guy, then he has to start all over in the 8th inning and walks the leadoff man. Greinke is leading off in the bottom of the 7th , so you just wasted a move there! Let him finish the inning then bring Howie in to hit for him, then let Libertore start the inning fresh from warming up in the bullpen! Ya liberator may have still walked him, but he wouldnt have been sitting for 10 minutes and the odds would have been better if he started that inning straight from the bullpen!

Say what you want, bad move by Donnie, and then of course things just started to snowball, saw it coming!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No manager is going to be right 100% of the time. It's easy to be the arm-chair manager. But, while we're nitpicking, I'll just do a better job than you.

Mattingly wasn't wrong to take out Grienke.
He wasn't wrong to put in Liberatore.

He was wrong to put in Juan Nicasio. Should've been Jansen or Garcia.

Fine, want to save Jansen for the 9th? Sure, whatever, blow me. But then put in Yimi Garcia. NOPE! Nicasio - who isn't that good - is not the answer. The answer was Garcia.

Whenever Pedro Baez gets healthy, I hope it's Nicasio that bites the dust. He's only shown usefulness as a long-reliever. Get'em gone.

If it's not Pedro Baez that boots Nicasio, then have it be Joel Peralta (whenever he fixes his geriatric arm).

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tbh I'm just at the point where while I'm not a huge Mattingly fan myself, I'm just sick and tired of all the Mattingly hate.

If Don would have put in Garcia or Howell or Nicasio to start the 8th people would have still bitched if it went wrong. I won't even touch on Jansen being put in in the 8th inning, because literally 0 managers would have done that.

Bottom line is this, the players need to fucking execute their shit.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying Mattingly is an issue at all. I did not know questioning one move means I don't like the guy.

My wife makes a shit meal from time to time, still think she's a great cook.

Sheesh.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not necessarily naming anybody specifically, it's just a general consensus of the internet. I can't stand people sometimes.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the title of this thread.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No manager is going to be right 100% of the time. It's easy to be the arm-chair manager. But, while we're nitpicking, I'll just do a better job than you.

Fine, want to save Jansen for the 9th? Sure, whatever, blow me. But then put in Yimi Garcia. NOPE! Nicasio - who isn't that good - is not the answer. The answer was Garcia

Whenever Pedro Baez gets healthy, I hope it's Nicasio that bites the dust. He's only shown usefulness as a long-reliever. Get'em gone.

If it's not Pedro Baez that boots Nicasio, then have it be Joel Peralta (whenever he fixes his geriatric
arm).

Ya, like that's a better move, whatever! Grienke is one of your TWO best pitchers, he wasn't in trouble, he was only at the 99 pitch count, so that wasnt an issue, and you only needed one more out, but you're going to bring in a RP to face one guy, then have him sit for 10 minutes, then come back out and pretty much have to come back out and get loose again the next inning. Not saying that's why he walked the guy, but it certainly didn't help. Like I said that's fine if you let Greinke finish the inning, then bring in liberatore to start the next, just makes more sense! No where did I say Liberatore doesn't end up walking him anyway, but at least he would have still been loose when he started the inning!

But of course your scenario makes much more sense, only to you!

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the title of this thread.

Exactly, look at the title of this thread, it's about Mattingly, if you don't want to get butt hurt about him, don't come into this thread, the thread is more or less what people think about him, so of course there are going to be negative posts, that's how these threads work, what don't some of you guys get about that?

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fine, want to save Jansen for the 9th? Sure, whatever, blow me. But then put in Yimi Garcia. NOPE! Nicasio - who isn't that good - is not the answer. The answer was Garcia.

If it's not Pedro Baez that boots Nicasio, then have it be Joel Peralta (whenever he fixes his geriatric arm).

Tbh I'm just at the point where while I'm not a huge Mattingly fan myself, I'm just sick and tired of all the Mattingly hate.

If Don would have put in Garcia or Howell or Nicasio to start the 8th people would have still bitched if it went wrong. I won't even touch on Jansen being put in in the 8th inning, because literally 0 managers would have done that.

Bottom line is this, the players need to fucking execute their shit.

You are right, the players still have to do their job, but you also have to put them in a position to do their job, made no sense to take a guy out pitching a great game! Fine pinch hit for him the next inning when he was due to lead off, then bring in a fresh arm!

Obviously it's on the players in the end, you either get it done or you don't, happens for both teams, if our guys shut them down, then the Card players didn't get it done, the Cards did come thru, and guys didn't our guys got it done last night against Arizona, and Arizona didn't get it done, thankfully we are getting it done more often than not!