• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Third Quarter Blues

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden addressed this in his press conference & was at a loss for a solution. Thus far this season the Redskins have been outscored 46-0 in the 3rd quarter. That's right - they have not scored one pt. in the 3rd quarter. In several cases the offense was coming off a scoring drive or good play just before the half only to fall very flat after halftime.

Would like to read everyone's input as to the possible reasons for this or if it is simply coincidence. This appears to be the exact opposite of the Redskins glory years when they adjusted better than anyone in the NFL & would often come out swinging & destroying teams in the 2nd half.

I realize that injuries and lack of talent contributes to all of this, but hopefully there is more to this that can be corrected at least to the pt of scoring a few TDs for the 3rd quarter for the remainder of the season. Sigh.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've been discussing it for weeks. When it happens this often it's no coincidence and no accident, it's a pattern.

The Himiko Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They scored 3 in the 3rd against Philly, but I realize that doesn't change the overall point you're making.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJax has gained the reputation that he's able to take the top off of defenses, subsequently, when he's in the game defenses must respect his top end speed and ability to hurt them deep. Alternatively, when he's not playing, this coaching staff refuses to try anything similar beyond once a game.

If people listen to guys who have played the game (Walker, Mitchell, Springs, Matich et.al), instead of the idiot apologist Cooley, they all say the same thing........nobody respects Washington's deep threat and until they at least attempt a few in the first half of games, opponents won't be forced to back up, compressing the field, giving rise to 8 in the box and tighter short to midrange pass coverage. Clearly the running game has been taken away, and unfortunately, Kirk is target poor.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They scored 3 in the 3rd against Philly, but I realize that doesn't change the overall point you're making.

Yep - you are correct. I guess that the problem is not that bad after all. :D

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJax has gained the reputation that he's able to take the top off of defenses, subsequently, when he's in the game defenses must respect his top end speed and ability to hurt them deep. Alternatively, when he's not playing, this coaching staff refuses to try anything similar beyond once a game.

If people listen to guys who have played the game (Walker, Mitchell, Springs, Matich et.al), instead of the idiot apologist Cooley, they all say the same thing........nobody respects Washington's deep threat and until they at least attempt a few in the first half of games, opponents won't be forced to back up, compressing the field, giving rise to 8 in the box and tighter short to midrange pass coverage. Clearly the running game has been taken away, and unfortunately, Kirk is target poor.

They don't have to throw 50 yard bombs. Go look at the Cal's pic in the Post Game Thread. There is a shot of 4 guys all running 6 yard patterns. This happens all game long and it's the reason teams are stacking the box. Wouldn't you?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sty please please tell me what ross has done to earn playing time ? i have told you this over and over again . he hasnt learned the offense yet . he lines up in the wrong position he dropped a key pass yesterday he has one route deep . he isnt ready yet

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sty please please tell me what ross has done to earn playing time ? i have told you this over and over again . he hasnt learned the offense yet . he lines up in the wrong position he dropped a key pass yesterday he has one route deep . he isnt ready yet

.......And I keep telling you over and over again that he's earned the right because DJax is hurt. Gruden said as much when the hamstring first took Jackson out remember?

Washington Redskins - Is the Threat of the Deep Ball on Hold

If your question is still why, then look no further than Ross as the ONLY person on the roster having anything close to Jacksons top end speed. Gruden just refuses to use him more than once per game. Opposing defenses aren't stupid, if Gruden plays on a shortened field by choice, they will counter with what we're seeing. (8 in the box, and tighter coverages). Foolishly taking deep shots when you're 21 points behind is predictable.

On your other point about Ross not learning the offense yet, even if true, that does not stop team Gruden from installing a few plays that he can run during a game. It's just excuse making, and not very good ones either.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.......And I keep telling you over and over again that he's earned the right because DJax is hurt. Gruden said as much when the hamstring first took Jackson out remember?

Washington Redskins - Is the Threat of the Deep Ball on Hold

If your question is still why, then look no further than Ross as the ONLY person on the roster having anything close to Jacksons top end speed. Gruden just refuses to use him more than once per game. Opposing defenses aren't stupid, if Gruden plays on a shortened field by choice, they will counter with what we're seeing. (8 in the box, and tighter coverages). Foolishly taking deep shots when you're 21 points behind is predictable.

On your other point about Ross not learning the offense yet, even if true, that does not stop team Gruden from installing a few plays that he can run during a game. It's just excuse making, and not very good ones either.

well hasnt he done that sty ? the few times he has been in the game he has gone deep . ross right now is aldrick robinson . deep and only deep and i believe NFL defenses will catch on to that .

it isnt excuse making sty its what is happening ross doesnt know the offense well enough yet hence he is in the role he is in

and again maybe we arent going deep because of the o/line which has a virtual rookie right side to start the season and now we have ribeye , nsenke and long on the left hand side and the whopping 14 starts they have between them

perhaps a djax can set up a defender and get behind him consistently while ross cant at this time

ross is the 5th wr on the roster . could it be its for a reason ?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well hasnt he done that sty ? the few times he has been in the game he has gone deep . ross right now is aldrick robinson . deep and only deep and i believe NFL defenses will catch on to that .

it isnt excuse making sty its what is happening ross doesnt know the offense well enough yet hence he is in the role he is in

and again maybe we arent going deep because of the o/line which has a virtual rookie right side to start the season and now we have ribeye , nsenke and long on the left hand side and the whopping 14 starts they have between them

perhaps a djax can set up a defender and get behind him consistently while ross cant at this time

ross is the 5th wr on the roster . could it be its for a reason ?

Say what you will, but not trying is frankly giving up. You say that the return of DJax will make the difference and that may be so to a degree, but Gruden won't even try using that one trick beyond the obligatory once per game, besides Ross has already demostrated some level of command of the offensive scheme. Running routes correctly doesn't change from preseason, to regular and post seasons.
As for your charge that he is 5th on the roster for that reason, maybe it's bias, JG not wanting to trust a rookie over a vet.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say what you will, but not trying is frankly giving up. You say that the return of DJax will make the difference and that may be so to a degree, but Gruden won't even try using that one trick beyond the obligatory once per game, besides Ross has already demostrated some level of command of the offensive scheme. Running routes correctly doesn't change from preseason, to regular and post seasons.
As for your charge that he is 5th on the roster for that reason, maybe it's bias, JG not wanting to trust a rookie over a vet.

again those are the things that are being reported . you can accept them or not i am sorry but ross has been cut by 2 other teams so i dont know where you are getting he is some kind of savior . he is the 5th guy on the roster and if spencer hadnt gotten hurt he might not have made the team

and it isnt my "charge " that he is 5th on the team he is as fact .

and how many times have we seen the preseason sensation turn into urine ?

i dont dislike ross . but to say he changes things in place of jackson is a huge reach at this point

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden addressed this in his press conference & was at a loss for a solution. Thus far this season the Redskins have been outscored 46-0 in the 3rd quarter. That's right - they have not scored one pt. in the 3rd quarter. In several cases the offense was coming off a scoring drive or good play just before the half only to fall very flat after halftime.

Would like to read everyone's input as to the possible reasons for this or if it is simply coincidence. This appears to be the exact opposite of the Redskins glory years when they adjusted better than anyone in the NFL & would often come out swinging & destroying teams in the 2nd half.

I realize that injuries and lack of talent contributes to all of this, but hopefully there is more to this that can be corrected at least to the pt of scoring a few TDs for the 3rd quarter for the remainder of the season. Sigh.
Some possible explanations from Keim

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again those are the things that are being reported . you can accept them or not i am sorry but ross has been cut by 2 other teams so i dont know where you are getting he is some kind of savior . he is the 5th guy on the roster and if spencer hadnt gotten hurt he might not have made the team

and it isnt my "charge " that he is 5th on the team he is as fact .

and how many times have we seen the preseason sensation turn into urine ?

i dont dislike ross . but to say he changes things in place of jackson is a huge reach at this point

You offer no other reasonable explanation as to why teams have decided to put 8 men in the box in order to stop our run game beyond the one that many others, myself included have given. Further no reasonable fix or attempt to fix beyond the one given. He may be the fifth guy, but right now, he's all that we have that comes close to Jackson's top end speed, not trying at all is a concession to failure. Look at what's happened when they do give him a shot one time per game......One long reception and two P.I.'s, one dropped pass. Not impressed? What's the alternative?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You offer no other reasonable explanation as to why teams have decided to put 8 men in the box in order to stop our run game beyond the one that many others, myself included have given. Further no reasonable fix or attempt to fix beyond the one given. He may be the fifth guy, but right now, he's all that we have that comes close to Jackson's top end speed, not trying at all is a concession to failure. Look at what's happened when they do give him a shot one time per game......One long reception and two P.I.'s, one dropped pass. Not impressed? What's the alternative?

we have tried it sty and the guy cant get lined up right . then he drops a ball we needed to get back in the game

ross is a one trick pony at this point along the line of robinson

also could it be we arent going long because of the o/line ?

but again what the hell has ross done to say "play me " coach ?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this should be a shock to anyone. I said and many others did too when DJax pulled up lame that the offense was in trouble. Take Reed out you are in more trouble. Take 3 Olineman out with two first year starters left and things get more dicey.

To Sty's point. We played this game with Brunnell. If there is no deep threat then you making playing defense a lot easier. Everyone is playing zone. If Cousin's is off target or a receiver turns the wrong way .... INT.

To dad's point Ross is Aldrick Robertson but as much as I cheered for him to be on the team if he doesn't know the plays and can only play the position of the ONE vet receiver still playing. Then he isn't going to get a lot of playing time. If he comes in and primarily runs deep routes the other team will be ready for it. They watch tape too.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree there is a problem in the 3rd quarter. Every week it looks like a different team came out after halftime. It almost looks like the opposing team was handed the Redskins game plan at the half.