• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

They should not have drafted Haskins

Laconic37

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main concern and question is why the fact is Haskins roaming the sidelines during games? He acts disinterested and he looks completely overwhelmed? Maybe he should be looking over the plays with the coaches like other qbs do. Fucking buster

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt my friend, dysfunction is the order of the day. I am not upset they drafted Haskin's … they did get Sweat too. I am not upset at Haskin's performance yesterday. He over threw a ball, shit happens.

I haven't watched a lot or when I have I did not get excited over Tua. Maybe I am missing something. Not to mention he seems injury prone. I like Fromm but he is conventional and to me it seems the QB of the future is going to look a lot more like Watson, Wilson, Mahomes and Jackson. Brady and Brees can still play but I think that style of QB is becoming a dinosaur. Yes, that includes Cousins.

Good post! A few things:

You're right ...shit happens!
I'm not impressed with Tua either! He is injury prone and he'll come here (if that happens) only to get messed up.
Fromm seems like a fighter albeit the little that I've seen of him.
The game is rapidly changing because of the influences that the college game is having on the NFL. I wonder if the NFL is taking note of the more exciting style of play, fan participation, and arena atmosphere at these schools while stroking their collective chins and doing this:

th

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main concern and question is why the fact is Haskins roaming the sidelines during games? He acts disinterested and he looks completely overwhelmed? Maybe he should be looking over the plays with the coaches like other qbs do. Fucking buster

Let me ask you...If you happened to be the head coach, or any one of the assistants on that sideline and saw what's clearly upset you, what would you do about it? ( Don't get mad at me, Dwayne wants to know!:D)

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly what I said a few weeks ago when someone was bitching about how Gruden was handling Haskins. What the fuck did they expect? Gruden was coaching for his job so he wasn't interested in developing a QB. And you are right, the new HC will be saddled with a guy he may not want. typical redskins FO. no self awareness of their situation what so ever.

Let's be clear, Gruden wasn't coaching for his job, he was signaling his surrender!

While I'm personally against starting young QB's right away, they bring the one thing that the current "starters" don't, the unknown!

With Colt he was betting on a miracle... not only in his recovery, but also in Colts ability to become something that he never was. In Case, it was a crapshoot based upon NFL experience and an ability to fully grasp his playbook then perform well enough to, by this sort of reasoning, save his job.

As evidence to support my claim of the unknown, I give you one, Josh Johnson who while playing a pick-up basketball game was contacted and signed by this team. A week later he was their starter. They literally "coached him up" in order to start him. Gruden could have done the same with Dwayne and who knows? he might still have his job teetering on a dangerous ledge with a built in excuse of "growing pains!" if needed.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt my friend, dysfunction is the order of the day. I am not upset they drafted Haskin's … they did get Sweat too. I am not upset at Haskin's performance yesterday. He over threw a ball, shit happens.

I haven't watched a lot or when I have I did not get excited over Tua. Maybe I am missing something. Not to mention he seems injury prone. I like Fromm but he is conventional and to me it seems the QB of the future is going to look a lot more like Watson, Wilson, Mahomes and Jackson. Brady and Brees can still play but I think that style of QB is becoming a dinosaur. Yes, that includes Cousins.

I have watched a lot of Tua.

He throws a beautiful ball. He is accurate and decisive when he makes simple reads in a clean pocket.

But, against elite college defenses capable of applying pressure and capable of disguising coverages and not always giving Tua a wide open target, he has struggled.

The latter is every day life in the NFL. He is going to make some plays, but overall I think whoever drafts Tua is going to be very disappointed.

Good luck Miami!

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post! A few things:

You're right ...shit happens!
I'm not impressed with Tua either! He is injury prone and he'll come here (if that happens) only to get messed up.
Fromm seems like a fighter albeit the little that I've seen of him.
The game is rapidly changing because of the influences that the college game is having on the NFL. I wonder if the NFL is taking note of the more exciting style of play, fan participation, and arena atmosphere at these schools while stroking their collective chins and doing this:

th

I think HS and college coaches are controlling the game more and more. Plays are being called at the line after the OC or HC sees the defensive alignment, determines man vs zone etc. RPOs are more a part of the game where a QB focuses on how many in the box or reads a DE. Simpler for the QB and the coach has more control. Another thing is OLineman are being taught what they used to be and are far from ready for the "old" NFL game. So again this is influencing the pro game.

Now you have guys like the modern QBs I mentioned he are dual threats or harder to pin in the pocket as long as they get down (remember our guy a few years ago didn't) they can be very successful.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be clear, Gruden wasn't coaching for his job, he was signaling his surrender!

While I'm personally against starting young QB's right away, they bring the one thing that the current "starters" don't, the unknown!

With Colt he was betting on a miracle... not only in his recovery, but also in Colts ability to become something that he never was. In Case, it was a crapshoot based upon NFL experience and an ability to fully grasp his playbook then perform well enough to, by this sort of reasoning, save his job.

As evidence to support my claim of the unknown, I give you one, Josh Johnson who while playing a pick-up basketball game was contacted and signed by this team. A week later he was their starter. They literally "coached him up" in order to start him. Gruden could have done the same with Dwayne and who knows? he might still have his job teetering on a dangerous ledge with a built in excuse of "growing pains!" if needed.
I think you are missing my point. I'm not arguing that Gruden was not handling the development of Haskins correctly, he wasn't. My point is that to any competent GM, it should have been obvious that the situation that this franchise was in as it relates to the HC, one should have expected Gruden to not be vested in the development of a QB that he will most likely not be around to manage. Especially a young QB that is in need of a LOT of development. Of course Allen never knew the real status of Haskins because he was just doing his owner's bidding.......Snyder wanted Haskins. Now we see why Haskins dropped in the draft to us.....because the other NFL teams did proper scouting and analysis and realized that Haskins was a long term project. We didn't. We just talked to Snyder's son, apparently, who said he was a good guy.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back at the 2019 draft, many here wanted the edge rusher selected first, but after some consternation associated with Haskins at 15, were quite pleased with moving up to get Sweat. Very few if any complained about our first round selections, in fact, I remember the majority here proclaiming our first round as one of the best in a while. One year removed, not so much!

This is the way I recall it going down as well. Posters did bring up Haskins being raw, but they liked his skillset/potential and the selection of Sweat is what put it over the top as a successful haul.

I don't follow college ball, at least not to the extent that I can say the Skins should draft X, Y, Z, but after looking at Haskins pre-NFL stats. The kid isn't raw, he's a freaking newborn. He's only thrown 1090 passes in his college AND high school years COMBINED.

Dwayne Haskins Jr. High School Football Stats Bullis (Potomac, MD) | MaxPreps

Dwayne Haskins College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

This kid shouldn't have seen any action in a real game this year except mop up duty at the very most. Now this is not to say the kid is a bust. He doesn't have enough football experience on any level to be called a bust yet, Being as raw as he is though what he needs most is teaching and protection. Putting him in games the way the Skins have this year gives him neither.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the way I recall it going down as well. Posters did bring up Haskins being raw, but they liked his skillset/potential and the selection of Sweat is what put it over the top as a successful haul.

I don't follow college ball, at least not to the extent that I can say the Skins should draft X, Y, Z, but after looking at Haskins pre-NFL stats. The kid isn't raw, he's a freaking newborn. He's only thrown 1090 passes in his college AND high school years COMBINED.

This kid shouldn't have seen any action in a real game this year except mop up duty at the very most. Now this is not to say the kid is a bust. He doesn't have enough football experience on any level to be called a bust yet, Being as raw as he is though what he needs most is teaching and protection. Putting him in games the way the Skins have this year gives him neither.

Well said Breed, much better job than I did. Dwayne has been both lucky and unlucky. He initially committed to Maryland but later changed to Ohio State. That's the lucky part, he went to a place with much better talent. He was drafted by the Redskins … I probably don't have to say that was the unlucky part.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are missing my point. I'm not arguing that Gruden was not handling the development of Haskins correctly, he wasn't. My point is that to any competent GM, it should have been obvious that the situation that this franchise was in as it relates to the HC, one should have expected Gruden to not be vested in the development of a QB that he will most likely not be around to manage. Especially a young QB that is in need of a LOT of development. Of course Allen never knew the real status of Haskins because he was just doing his owner's bidding.......Snyder wanted Haskins. Now we see why Haskins dropped in the draft to us.....because the other NFL teams did proper scouting and analysis and realized that Haskins was a long term project. We didn't. We just talked to Snyder's son, apparently, who said he was a good guy.

We agree that the guy that's supposed to be an NFL GM isn't, but to be clear, what choice did they have? Gruden wasn't fired a year prior, they desperately need a QB and the focus was on doing something that they do not know how it's done...build a winning organization. Truth is they were stuck with Gruden, sure it was because of their own incompetence, but if they were going to be stuck with a lame duck HC then draft a QB that high up in the draft, then they should have gone full Snyder and insisted that he play the youngster. What difference does it make when the choice destination for anyone seeking an end or significant setback in their careers, (coaches or players) is Washington?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is the one part of my debating point that's being missed. Why have him as the backup from day one? Were they that incompetent that they were unable to sign another guy? Hell, they had Johnson from a year ago and let him walk, knew that Colt wasn't an option and Dwayne was a raw talent. None of it makes sense!

There are people who insist upon employing that old sink or swim method to early first round QB's, I refer to them as the 30 minute or less generation, but as you've stated, he shouldn't have seen any action in a real game this year except mop up duty at the very most, which has been my position long before they drafted him.

Laconic37

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would teach or as you stated "coach him up"

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We agree that the guy that's supposed to be an NFL GM isn't, but to be clear, what choice did they have? Gruden wasn't fired a year prior, they desperately need a QB and the focus was on doing something that they do not know how it's done...build a winning organization. Truth is they were stuck with Gruden, sure it was because of their own incompetence, but if they were going to be stuck with a lame duck HC then draft a QB that high up in the draft, then they should have gone full Snyder and insisted that he play the youngster. What difference does it make when the choice destination for anyone seeking an end or significant setback in their careers, (coaches or players) is Washington?
The problem is we are debating over what a competent GM would do, which we don't have. What they could have done was to manage the situation. Tell Gruden that his charge for this year was to develop Haskins. That is what he will be judged on. After all, Gruden was supposed to be some great QB guru when he came here, right? But that would require some measure of self awareness as to where this team really was. Our GM doesn't have that, either. So its all a moot point.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would teach or as you stated "coach him up"

Exactly! You would have made sure that he wasn't just pacing the sidelines, and so would I.

Laconic37

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already sense a rift between Haskins and the Redskins. We are alienating a player that we should be nurturing. The negative media headlines dont help either. Society ostensibly preaches peace and unity but internally relishes in discord and chaos.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should step back and take a deep breath . Be patient and let’s see where this goes

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now the film comes out

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW: I'm going to disagree with the OP. I am convinced that they've selected the right guy, and that soon he will prove himself the man, here in D.C. If he gets the start in Buffalo, he won't be the weak link coming out of that game. You guys can bank on it or revisit this post in order to drag my ass through a river of ridicule. Yeah I'm that confident!

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW: I'm going to disagree with the OP. I am convinced that they've selected the right guy, and that soon he will prove himself the man, here in D.C. If he gets the start in Buffalo, he won't be the weak link coming out of that game. You guys can bank on it or revisit this post in order to drag my ass through a river of ridicule. Yeah I'm that confident!

If only the previous QB got that same kind of love instead of being blamed and found not good enough for any mistake. :pound::pound: