• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: The SS Mazara moves out to SEA - 4/11-4/13

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We simply have a team with hitters who have prolonged slumps at times. Our most respected hitter is Beltre and he has been on a moderate downtrend over the past couple of years himself. He is not getting any younger. Prince has struggled with his power for prolonged periods and at his age and size those periods will get progressively worse and more frequent. Choo had a tremendous second half last year, but he certainly shouldn't be counted on to repeat that and he is not getting any younger himself. His injuries will become more and more frequent probably. Desmond was a .233 hitter last year and is on a downward trend in hitting for average himself. DeShields was available in the Rule 5 draft for a reason and it remains to be seen if that 50 plus great stretch he had last year will ever be repeated. Elvis had a good second half last year, but if he has lost a half of a step then a lot of what remaining offensive value he had could be in jeopardy. I said a few months back that I would like to hold off on giving Odor a long term contract until he proves he can go through an entire year without a very long and very pronounced slump. I hope we are not in the beginning of one of those now.

I don't know how we will hold up offensively this year, but no matter how the numbers look at the end of the year I am glad we will have the younger players ready to remake this offense. if we do eventually have a good season offensively this year I don't know that it would be sustainable.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A quick aside: when/why did this start being a thing?
You know how it is. Everybody is looking for more and more ways to measure the game. I think the exit velocity is probably more relevant than some of the other measurements that have been introduced in the last few years.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know how it is. Everybody is looking for more and more ways to measure the game. I think the exit velocity is probably more relevant than some of the other measurements that have been introduced in the last few years.

I don't see how it's relevant at all, inasmuch that "exit speed" is not something that could be used to alter an approach, as far as I can tell.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how it's relevant at all, inasmuch that "exit speed" is not something that could be used to alter an approach, as far as I can tell.
No, it has nothing to do with altering approach. Then again, I didn't say it would help in altering approach.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We simply have a team with hitters who have prolonged slumps at times. Our most respected hitter is Beltre and he has been on a moderate downtrend over the past couple of years himself. He is not getting any younger. Prince has struggled with his power for prolonged periods and at his age and size those periods will get progressively worse and more frequent. Choo had a tremendous second half last year, but he certainly shouldn't be counted on to repeat that and he is not getting any younger himself. His injuries will become more and more frequent probably. Desmond was a .233 hitter last year and is on a downward trend in hitting for average himself. DeShields was available in the Rule 5 draft for a reason and it remains to be seen if that 50 plus great stretch he had last year will ever be repeated. Elvis had a good second half last year, but if he has lost a half of a step then a lot of what remaining offensive value he had could be in jeopardy. I said a few months back that I would like to hold off on giving Odor a long term contract until he proves he can go through an entire year without a very long and very pronounced slump. I hope we are not in the beginning of one of those now.

I don't know how we will hold up offensively this year, but no matter how the numbers look at the end of the year I am glad we will have the younger players ready to remake this offense. if we do eventually have a good season offensively this year I don't know that it would be sustainable.
I think Choo will continue to hit around .275 with close to 20 HRs if he can get close to 500 ABs. Beltre usually starts slow and HRs is what has decreased but really his average has stayed up there. Of course he is not the 3B that he once was but still is productive. The media and everyone else needs to not expect too much from Odor. He is still young and will be a solid player. DeShields will be DeShields. The rest I am not too sure about. And is there a team with slower 1B/DH combination?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A quick aside: when/why did this start being a thing?
It matters because the higher average exit velocity and HR/FB rate for a hitter you can be a big predictor of sustainability.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Choo will continue to hit around .275 with close to 20 HRs if he can get close to 500 ABs. Beltre usually starts slow and HRs is what has decreased but really his average has stayed up there. Of course he is not the 3B that he once was but still is productive. The media and everyone else needs to not expect too much from Odor. He is still young and will be a solid player. DeShields will be DeShields. The rest I am not too sure about. And is there a team with slower 1B/DH combination?
Beltre's average was the lowest last year as it has been since he got here though. I wasn't referring to Adrian's stats right now as they are actually pretty good. I just think that he is in a natural decline. I would expect that to continue to be the case when this year is finished. The good thing is that he had such lofty numbers to decline from that he is still productive. But he isn't nearly as productive as he once was for us.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a great predictor of what you can expect going forward. If someone has a a high LD% and a average exit VELO over 105 you know they aren't getting cheapy homers and can pencil them in for serious production. Giancarlo Stanton last year had a crazy high HR/FB rate and exit velo. If he had gotten 600 PAs his numbers woulda been ridiculous.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a great predictor of what you can expect going forward. If someone has a a high LD% and a average exit VELO over 105 you know they aren't getting cheapy homers and can pencil them in for serious production. Giancarlo Stanton last year had a crazy high HR/FB rate and exit velo. If he had gotten 600 PAs his numbers woulda been ridiculous.
Yes, I think it is a good indicator.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What advantage does it have over homerun distance? I mean, did anyone need exit velocity to determine that Stanton has a shit ton of power?

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While JD has done some impressive work as GM of the Rangers, his biggest failure has been sustaining and rebuilding the Rangers' offense since the back to back WS years. The Rangers need an infusion of young talented hitters, like Mazara and Brinson and at some point hopefully a healthy Profar, to truly rebuild the offensive face and philosophy of this team. Certainly Odor and Gallo will be a part of this as well. Fielder, Beltre, Moreland, Hamilton et al will not be a part of the next Ranger team to go to a WS. Look to move those parts at their highest value and this time really rebuild this offense for 2017 and beyond. This has not been a dynamic offense since 2013.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While JD has done some impressive work as GM of the Rangers, his biggest failure has been sustaining and rebuilding the Rangers' offense since the back to back WS years. The Rangers need an infusion of young talented hitters, like Mazara and Brinson and at some point hopefully a healthy Profar, to truly rebuild the offensive face and philosophy of this team. Certainly Odor and Gallo will be a part of this as well. Fielder, Beltre, Moreland, Hamilton et al will not be a part of the next Ranger team to go to a WS. Look to move those parts at their highest value and this time really rebuild this offense for 2017 and beyond. This has not been a dynamic offense since 2013.

2014: Mulligan due to so many injuries
2015: Rangers were 3rd in the league in runs per game

So, basically, the one off year the Rangers had was because of circumstances JD had zero control over.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Since the Yankees monopolized baseball some years ago, teams just don't rebuild overnight. They haven't replaced a stud player with another stud player and never missed a beat.

11 different teams have won a WS since 1995.

You've just named names and how we are rebuilding.

So from your comments here you're counting us out for the next 2 years PERIOD. Really? I'm not of this mind set. At least not yet.