• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The one dish you've ALWAYS wanted to know how to cook or consider your speciality...

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It always looks simple, but I've been told that its not. For whatever reason I have always shied away from trying to make my own. I've had a pizza stone for over 2 years now and I have never made my own pizza on it. I've never done anything with yeast before.

First, don't let anyone or anything intimidate you when it comes to cooking/baking...If you have to follow a recipe, go for it, there's NO shame in it...

Second, when it comes to yeast, you just need one packet of something like fleischmann's yeast, warm water around 100 degrees is ideal(add just a bit of sugar for the yeast to eat, helps with the proofing) Since you want a thin crust, do not let the yeast/dough proof too long. Once you see the Water/yeast/sugar mix bubbling add it right into the flour mix...

Since you have a Pizza stone you're WAY ahead of most people...Just go for it!!! Like I said, the temp is really the key to how the crust comes out. With a pizza stone at a hot temp and a nice dough, you should have NO prob!!! :suds:

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shrimp Brochette... I always screw it up and melt all the cheese. It's because I am too lazy to cook it in both the oven and the grill.

Best I ever had was at Kenny's Wood Fire Grill in Addison Texas.

10392472_10152527217397213_5923138273132193983_n.jpg

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, don't let anyone or anything intimidate you when it comes to cooking/baking...If you have to follow a recipe, go for it, there's NO shame in it...

Second, when it comes to yeast, you just need one packet of something like fleischmann's yeast, warm water around 100 degrees is ideal(add just a bit of sugar for the yeast to eat, helps with the proofing) Since you want a thin crust, do not let the yeast/dough proof too long. Once you see the Water/yeast/sugar mix bubbling add it right into the flour mix...

Since you have a Pizza stone you're WAY ahead of most people...Just go for it!!! Like I said, the temp is really the key to how the crust comes out. With a pizza stone at a hot temp and a nice dough, you should have NO prob!!! :suds:
What is "proofing"? lol

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to kitchen jargon

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is "proofing"? lol

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to kitchen jargon

Proofing is when you let the yeast bubble up so you know its working. If the temp of the water is too low, the yeast won't "bloom", if it's too high, you kill the yeast... You definitely want it to be bubbling on top a bit(so you know it's working)but you don't want it to bubble up to (for example)the head of a beer(like an inch).

The ideal temps for yeast are between 110 and 115. If you have a calibrated thermometer its not a prob. If you need to know how to calibrate one, let me know :nod:

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proofing is when you let the yeast bubble up so you know its working. If the temp of the water is too low, the yeast won't "bloom", if it's too high, you kill the yeast... You definitely want it to be bubbling on top a bit(so you know it's working)but you don't want it to bubble up to (for example)the head of a beer(like an inch).

The ideal temps for yeast are between 110 and 115. If you have a calibrated thermometer its not a prob. If you need to know how to calibrate one, let me know :nod:

BTW, proofing is also a term with the dough, but one at a time :suds:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good stuff! Thanks for the info! :suds:

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff! Thanks for the info! :suds:

No prob!!! usually if it bubbled a bit a while wouldn't be a problem, but since you want it to be thin crust you won't want it to sit too long, or want the dough to sit too long or it'll get too airy, NOT what you want!!!

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From scratch (no pre-made and all fresh ingredients) burritos.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From scratch (no pre-made and all fresh ingredients) burritos.

The "toughest" AKA the most time consuming part of that would be making the tortillas. What kind of of tortilla would you use? or want to use? Flour or corn? You'd also have to soak the beans overnight, but one step at a time :suds:

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "toughest" AKA the most time consuming part of that would be making the tortillas. What kind of of tortilla would you use? or want to use? Flour or corn? You'd also have to soak the beans overnight, but one step at a time :suds:
Flour.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shrimp Brochette... I always screw it up and melt all the cheese. It's because I am too lazy to cook it in both the oven and the grill.

Best I ever had was at Kenny's Wood Fire Grill in Addison Texas.

View attachment 122305
Looks good! What kind of skewer did you use? I typically like the wooden skewers over stainless but some believe a stainless skewers conductivity can over-cook the middle of some things but I have never noticed a difference? I guess it makes sense if you are grilling large cuts of meat?

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok, I'll get you a recipe :suds: but to make them right one thing you would usually DEFINTELY need is Lard(not kidding).

Here is one I quick one that has fantastic reviews and seems pretty easy if you use a kitchenaid: Homemade Flour Tortillas Recipe

Of course, for burritos you'd need to split the dough into less balls and roll them out larger, so instead of 24 it claims to make, I'd go with maybe 10...

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super Crispy Thin Pizza Crust Recipe - Food.com

Best results for a thin and crispy pizza will need a VERY hot oven and you'll also have to preheat the pan/pizza stone you plan to cook it on.
Years ago I ended up working at Carrabbas Italian Grill in OKC while my wife was getting her Masters and that is where I learned how much better pizza is cooked at least on a stone/pizza oven compared to a regular conventional oven. Carrabbas used cedar I believe in their oven and I couldn't believe how perfect you could cook a pizza in it. For a corporate restaurant, their food was damned good and made the right way(believe it or not). I still missed fine dining and was happy to get back to it once my wife graduated.

I know a lot of the time people don't heat up their pizza stone before they put the pizza on it and that makes such a difference.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that stone has to be HOT to get that crust nice and crispy on the bottom while the top gets done just right :suds:

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I'll get you a recipe :suds: but to make them right one thing you would usually DEFINTELY need is Lard(not kidding).

Here is one I quick one that has fantastic reviews and seems pretty easy if you use a kitchenaid: Homemade Flour Tortillas Recipe

Of course, for burritos you'd need to split the dough into less balls and roll them out larger, so instead of 24 it claims to make, I'd go with maybe 10...
This place I really like marinates their chicken and cooks the vegetables for their burritos just right. I wish I could get their recipe.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that stone has to be HOT to get that crust nice and crispy on the bottom while the top gets done just right :suds:
I learned the curved top of a wood fired pizza oven is key to the top of the pizza. Blasts that heat down on top of the pizza and then add the pepperoni at the end so it doesn't burn in the oven. Damn were the calzones I used to make in that oven tasty!

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks good! What kind of skewer did you use? I typically like the wooden skewers over stainless but some believe a stainless skewers conductivity can over-cook the middle of some things but I have never noticed a difference? I guess it makes sense if you are grilling large cuts of meat?

I wish I could claim I made those. They are from the restaurant I was talking about. When I have made it in the past, I typically use smaller shimp and wooden skewers. Metal might work better though. I know from when I used to work at Pappadeaux, that is what they use.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This place I really like marinates their chicken and cooks the vegetables for their burritos just right. I wish I could get their recipe.

Anything more you can tell us about the chicken? Is it chicken adobo? Is it in chunks/shredded. Spicy at all? Is it red?

Also, just did a little research, Burritos are much more Tex-Mex/Mexican American than pure Mexican. From what I'm seeing, you REALLY want to blow yourself/others away, the Taco is really the best "vessel". HOWEVER, if you really do want burritos, it seems like its ALL about the meat and the beans.

Like I have mentioned, the best beans are the dried beans and yes you have to soak them overnight which is a pain in the ass. Even more of a pain in the ass? You have to change the water a few times over the 24 hours(once every 8 or so) but in the end, it's worth it, you'll make the BEST refried beans!!!

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything more you can tell us about the chicken? Is it chicken adobo? Is it in chunks/shredded. Spicy at all? Is it red?

Also, just did a little research, Burritos are much more Tex-Mex/Mexican American than pure Mexican. From what I'm seeing, you REALLY want to blow yourself/others away, the Taco is really the best "vessel". HOWEVER, if you really do want burritos, it seems like its ALL about the meat and the beans.

Like I have mentioned, the best beans are the dried beans and yes you have to soak them overnight which is a pain in the ass. Even more of a pain in the ass? You have to change the water a few times over the 24 hours(once every 8 or so) but in the end, it's worth it, you'll make the BEST refried beans!!!
I want to say it's grilled and cut kind of diagonally about a quarter inch wide and maybe an inch long. I would guess the flavor is citrusy with onions and green bell peppers.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to say it's grilled and cut kind of diagonally about a quarter inch wide and maybe an inch long. I would guess the flavor is citrusy with onions and green bell peppers.

Ok, so either it has a citrus based marinade(the chicken) or they squeeze some lime on just before serving(might be both) The grilling and the sauteed peppers/onions are I'm sure no prob for you...Guessing it's chicken breast(white meat)? or is it a mix of white and dark? The dark CAN be pounded thin but most don't bother since you have to bone in out first, too much trouble lol...