• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The one dish you've ALWAYS wanted to know how to cook or consider your speciality...

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That you'd like to share with us...

What would be the ONE dish you absolutely LOVE that you'd really love to know how to cook or do know how to cook and would like to share...

Lets either find a recipe or figure out a recipe to help you do it at home, or if you have a good one, please pass it to the rest of us...

I'm talking ANY dish(within legal and tasteful perameters of course lol). Something you'd want to impress just yourself or your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/friends/guests? Or something you blow them away with now... Let us know what it is.

Lets have some culinary fun in this thread. :suds:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to learn how to make an absolutely stellar beef Wellington. Old school I know, but it's one of those classics that would be really cool to have in your arsenal.

Reactions: 006

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to learn how to make an absolutely stellar beef Wellington. Old school I know, but it's one of those classics that would be really cool to have in your arsenal.

When it comes to Beef Wellington, you go RIGHT to the source. Gordon Ramsay's signature dish is just that, Beef Wellington. Since he's one of the best Chefs in the world, who better to help you? Here are two vids that'll help you make it...In the second vid, I'd leave out the chestnuts, but I suppose you could add it if you REALLY wanted...ALSO, I'd add a finely chopped shallot to the mushroom duxelle and truthfully, I'm willing to bet he does too. He's a classically trained French cuisine Chef like I am and duxelle traditionally has shallot...

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beef Wellington was the first thing that popped into my mind. LOL

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beef Wellington was the first thing that popped into my mind. LOL

Yeah? I can add some more examples/recipes if you all would like...It's really not THAT hard a dish to make unless you're making the puffed pastry dough yourself which I haven't done since cooking school and is a HUGE pain in the ass. Considering you can buy good puffed pastry dough at the supermarket in the freezer section(or at least SHOULD be able to) there's no reason to make it. The Duxelle is simple if you have a food processor to chop it all up. The Meat is SIMPLE to sear(can answer any questions about that)...Anything else you'd all like to know about making it/making it right, let me know :suds:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah? I can add some more examples/recipes if you all would like...It's really not THAT hard a dish to make unless you're making the puffed pastry dough yourself which I haven't done since cooking school and is a HUGE pain in the ass. Considering you can buy good puffed pastry dough at the supermarket in the freezer section(or at least SHOULD be able to) there's no reason to make it. The Duxelle is simple if you have a food processor to chop it all up. The Meat is SIMPLE to sear(can answer any questions about that)...Anything else you'd all like to know about making it/making it right, let me know :suds:

I think I could do it....just never have.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One dish that I've always wanted to learn how to do is pizza.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to know how to prepare ducks better. All I'm capable of not ruining is wrapping small pieces of breast in bacon and smoking or grilling them. I've also always thought it would be bad ass to learn some different asian recipes and styles. Other than the steak, it's always amazed me how well they do different things with such high heat. All those asian sauce's and flavors would be cool to create also.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to know how to prepare ducks better. All I'm capable of not ruining is wrapping small pieces of breast in bacon and smoking or grilling them. I've also always thought it would be bad ass to learn some different asian recipes and styles. Other than the steak, it's always amazed me how well they do different things with such high heat. All those asian sauce's and flavors would be cool to create also.

This one is easy. Leave the skin on. Melt some butter over medium heat. Start skin side down to get the skin crispy. You can season with salt, pepper, and something else you might like. Don't cook over too high of heat. Turn and cook till about medium or maybe just a bit rarer depending on your tastes. Let it rest, the slice it thin.

Reactions: 006

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try and make fried rice all the time, and it tastes good. But then I go to a Chinese place and order fried rice and it just tastes better. I could honestly eat fried rice every single day for the rest of my life and not feel like I was missing out on much. But I would love to be able to make it better.

A couple tips I have been given by asking every place that makes good stuff.
1. Use day old rice that has been refrigerated. It needs to be pretty dried out.
2. "American style" uses a lot more oil (usually sesame, but have been told just vegetable oil and canola oil by different places)
3. High HIGH heat. I think this is what I'm missing, need high end home or commercial ranges. Even the stand alone wok rings aren't hot enough.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one is easy. Leave the skin on. Melt some butter over medium heat. Start skin side down to get the skin crispy. You can season with salt, pepper, and something else you might like. Don't cook over too high of heat. Turn and cook till about medium or maybe just a bit rarer depending on your tastes. Let it rest, the slice it thin.
Also want to score the skin when its cold to help it render but be careful not to cut through and into the breast.:thumb:

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, slower(medium) heat is the key...You want the skin to be brown, but you also want to render quite a bit of that fat out from right under the skin. You do it too fast, too much fat will be left which can be kinda gross...However, don't use too much butter!!! as the fat renders from under the skin, the pan will get full of it. Too much and you aren't sauteeing any more but deep fat frying which is no good in this situation...

I like it medium rare, but yes, Med to Med Rare is perfect :suds:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, slower(medium) heat is the key...You want the skin to be brown, but you also want to render quite a bit of that fat out from right under the skin. You do it too fast, too much fat will be left which can be kinda gross...However, don't use too much butter!!! as the fat renders from under the skin, the pan will get full of it. Too much and you aren't sauteeing any more but deep fat frying which is no good in this situation...

I like it medium rare, but yes, Med to Med Rare is perfect :suds:

I personally like medium rare myself but not everyone can get down with cooking a bird mid rare. Good points on not using too much butter.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally like medium rare myself but not everyone can get down with cooking a bird mid rare. Good points on not using too much butter.

Funny story about Duck...On my final in cooking school as my absolute LAST choice I put on a dish I was absent for. Everyone said, put on a Duck dish, it's too expensive and they'll NEVER pick it...

Well, my luck, not only did I have to make the dish on my final(Duck with black currant sauce)but I had to make it for Andre Soltner, one of the Deans of our school and the Chef who CREATED the damn dish...(also one of the best Chefs in the WORLD)

Thankfully, it worked out well. He said the sauce was perfect, which shocked me since I had never made it. One of the other judges complained his duck was just a bit too rare, Chef Soltner looked at it and said quite loud "BULLSHIT, its perfect!!!" lol...

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One dish that I've always wanted to learn how to do is pizza.

The first question would be, how do you like the crust? Thin and crispy? NY style? Chicago style?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super Crispy Thin Pizza Crust Recipe - Food.com

Best results for a thin and crispy pizza will need a VERY hot oven and you'll also have to preheat the pan/pizza stone you plan to cook it on.
It always looks simple, but I've been told that its not. For whatever reason I have always shied away from trying to make my own. I've had a pizza stone for over 2 years now and I have never made my own pizza on it. I've never done anything with yeast before.