• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Netflix thread

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Netflix Is Ditching Its Five-Star Rating System: What This Means For Your Favorite Shows | Decider | Where To Stream Movies & Shows on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant, HBO Go

Yesterday, Netflix Vice President of Product Todd Yellin announced in a press briefing that the streaming giant would be ditching their traditional five-star rating system to a binary thumbs up/thumbs down method. “Five stars feels very yesterday now,” said Yellin, emphasizing that the five-star system had caused more headaches than help when it came to sorting through their massive catalogue. This shift in rating procedure is not entirely shocking news, as it was reported last year that Netflix was looking to change the way their ratings worked.

Now lets get to the real issue...

In the past, the five-star ratings have seemingly possessed the ability to make or break a show or movie; Amy Schumer‘s recent slew of low-star reviews on The Leather Special were indicative of that. Schumer’s explanation for these low reviews, however, told a different story: in the past, she had found herself a target of “alt-right trolls” who would purposely give her work a low rating in order to tank it. The star-rating system currently on Netflix certainly would allow this kind of sabotage, but the ratings that appear to subscribers are generally not an average of the reviews that have been posted. The current ratings system is a prediction of how much Netflix thinks you will enjoy the material based on your viewing habits. The number of stars that appear are an indication of “what users who have similar entertainment tastes as you thought” of the show or movie. Because of this, The Leather Special could display two different ratings for two different accounts (and it has – for a colleague, the special displayed a 3.5 star rating, while for me, it showed barely over 2 stars). The new system can either hurt or help Schumer’s cause; these Redditors could all team up in an effort to “thumbs down” her show, or if the system is more targeted to the individual, maybe it won’t even matter.

Marvel’s Iron Fist is likely to benefit from this shift; in the weeks leading up to the show’s release, critics demolished the series, calling it a “challenge” to make it through two episodes. Since the show’s release early this morning, however, Twitter users have begun to voice their disagreement with critics.

They paid a lot of money to the joke stealing hack Amy Schumer and everyone hates it. Change the ratings because you have made some bad investments.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does seem like the right has a hard on for Amy Schumer. I wasn't planning on watching her stand up and I still don't. But I have seen several articles on right wing media trying to convince that I shouldn't watch her show.

Personally I don't really care whether it is a 5 start system or a binary system if the ratings properly reflect what I would likely find interesting. The 5 start system did a pretty good job of helping me decide what I would or would not enjoy. If the binary system does the same that's fine with me.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 5 star ratings were hardly ever indicative of how I perceived the show/movie. Majority of the time I would read the synopsis, judge the pictures for quality, then lookup the rating on IMDB. If it was above a 5 I usually gave it a go, even if Netflix had it rated as 1 star. And most of the time I would find it to be better than both ratings.

I mainly used the star ratings to give myself an indication that I had previously viewed something. So I'm ok with the switch.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does seem like the right has a hard on for Amy Schumer. I wasn't planning on watching her stand up and I still don't. But I have seen several articles on right wing media trying to convince that I shouldn't watch her show.

Personally I don't really care whether it is a 5 start system or a binary system if the ratings properly reflect what I would likely find interesting. The 5 start system did a pretty good job of helping me decide what I would or would not enjoy. If the binary system does the same that's fine with me.

She did a show in Tampa, where I live, I had a few friends who were liberals go. Even they walked out, it was 10 minutes of jokes, and 50 minutes of Trump bashing, almost everyone in the theater walked out, it was actually a pretty big story.

She's also been accused multiple times for stealing jokes, that plus her fat gain are probably the two main reasons she's gotten the flack she does.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She did a show in Tampa, where I live, I had a few friends who were liberals go. Even they walked out, it was 10 minutes of jokes, and 50 minutes of Trump bashing, almost everyone in the theater walked out, it was actually a pretty big story.

She's also been accused multiple times for stealing jokes, that plus her fat gain are probably the two main reasons she's gotten the flack she does.

Sure, ok. I really don't care about her one way or the other. Trainwreck had some funny moments but her humor is definitely not something I can listen to regularly. A bit too crude for me.

I don't get why people get worked about it though. There are so many comedians out there that I find utterly not funny but others do. No big to me.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a conservative and she gives me a hard on. I also find her funny.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a conservative and she gives me a hard on. I also find her funny.

She has her moments for me but just a little too raunch in heavy doses. As for her as a woman, a little too meaty for me. Nothing wrong with that but I tend to like the athletic blondes.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She has her moments for me but just a little too raunch in heavy doses. As for her as a woman, a little too meaty for me. Nothing wrong with that but I tend to like the athletic blondes.

To be completely honest, she's starting to annoy me a bit. She appears to subscribe to the Kardashian school of media relations (any publicity is good publicity) and she's a bit over the top on the attempts at shock value of a woman talking dirty.

That said, I do often find her funny and liked Trainwreck a lot. I'd also bang her like a toy drum, particularly if I was drunk and no one had to know about it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Binging on the Santa Clarita Diet. Pretty great.
I watched almost the entire season on the plane earlier this week.

It struck me as a cross of Dexter, Weeds and iZombie. Unfortunately, it missed Dexter and Weeds on the quality scale, but hit iZombie perfectly.

I may continue it if it gets a second season, but I certainly will not be holding my breath in anticipation. What a crappy cliffhanger.

game

Hoopla Cash
$ 9.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched almost the entire season on the plane earlier this week.

It struck me as a cross of Dexter, Weeds and iZombie. Unfortunately, it missed Dexter and Weeds on the quality scale, but hit iZombie perfectly.

I may continue it if it gets a second season, but I certainly will not be holding my breath in anticipation. What a crappy cliffhanger.

Second season confirmed.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just make a central netflix thread

Any tv shows anyone is binge watching on there was looking for animal kingdom

Game of thrones on there? Prison break? anything worth binge watching?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"No GOT," ehh i googled it and saw nothing whats it about

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drama:
Sons of Anarchy
Spartacus
Bates Motel
Narcos
Marco Polo
Peaky Blinders
The Following

Comedies:
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Trailer Park Boys
Shameless
Archer

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Last Kingdom is so good it's crazy. Big fan of the books and the series hasn't disappointed either.

First two seasons are out.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Last Kingdom is so good it's crazy. Big fan of the books and the series hasn't disappointed either.

First two seasons are out.
Any word on a 3rd. I really enjoyed that series. I just finished season 2 the other night.