• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The My Vibe Thread

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I listen to a little bit of everything even Thai music. Back then it was mostly disco and then New Wave in the 80s.

Never could listen to Classical, Acid Rock or Gangster Rap.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've got a year on me.

But this is my biggest memory musically from the mid 70's.

Led Zep, fantastic band, John Bonham one of the best drummers of history, he was the glue for that sound. Page, meh, definitely not top 10 IMHO, he missed too many chords and made a lot of noise that the other 3 musicians made up for.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had a pretty good day...followed by a pretty bad day...both related.

Let me start with my own accountability and regret. I did not teach my son to drive a stick. A manual. I kept intending to buy another car for him and his sister to learn on, but the timing and cost and moving and...and...
He inherited our 2001 Ford Explorer and drove that for 4 years through the end of High School and first two years of college. Then his sister needed a car. We looked at a number of them for her, but she had always loved that Explorer. When new it was a fantastic do everything vehicle. Shit at 200,000 miles it was an even better do anything vehicle because your no longer concerned with keeping it "Nice" even if you kinda want to. But 200,000 miles was a LONG time ago.
Digression.
So last summer my daughter got the hand me down family truckster and my son got a new to him '13 Cadillac ATS with just over 100,000. It had a few scuffs but nothing serious, interior was...is...MINT. And it has a manual, just what he wanted. He had already taught himself how to drive a stick while working at the local Ford dealership. 1st gear being the most difficult to manage and it was basically the only gear he uses on the lot. Well, 1st and reverse. I've ridden with him. He does good for self taught.
Fast forward...there are noises coming from under the Explorer. It sounds like the fan is hitting the radiator shroud. Except that noise is coming from the transmission. Not sure how many shifts the old girl has left in her and I do not want my daughter stranded.
We got super lucky and I discovered a 2007 Mustang California Special for sale on Post (Fort Campbell). My son and I called the number. A 68 year old gentleman who has 4 other cars and no longer wants to drive a stick is selling it. Dark Blue (Vista Blue) with black stripes and tinted glass.
The ting is IMMACULATE! Inside and out. Just incredible. We made it happen. So he's got the Mustang V8 manual he has (Literally) always wanted and my daughter will get the Caddy. So I have been teaching her to operate a clutch. She is pretty good, she doesn't slip it too much or jerk it by dumping it too fast, she just forgets little things like she shifts to 2nd but then kinda lets the rpms hang and forgets to go for third. Or backing up she let the clutch all the way out and then forgot to push it back in when she put her foot on the brake. Little things.

So I am super stoked and glad for both my kids.

Well parking is now tight until the Explorer gets sold, so the two cars are parked parallel really close together but kinda staggered so the drivers door of one is opened behind the rear bumper of the other, if that makes sense. I parked the Caddy Tuesday night, to the right and slightly behind the Mustang so the drivers door would open behind the passenger side rear of the Mustang. Put it in 1st gear and locked it up.
What I did not know at that point is that my son has a habit of using the parking brake but not leaving it in gear. So he got ready to go to work yesterday, he is still driving the Caddy until the Mustang is registered with his check this week, and he starts the Caddy without checking if it's in gear and dumps the clutch. With the door still open.

Bam ! Caddy door gets intimate with the Mustang bumper. Blue paint on black paint, black paint on blue, dented door...

I feel shitty for leaving it in gear. I feel shitty for not teaching him he should leave it in gear, I feel shitty for not teaching him to ALWAYS be sure it's in neutral before letting off the clutch and of course, for not setting the parking brake like I should have.

The Mustang will buff out. The Caddy will mostly buff out and I think the dents will come out with a big suction cup dent puller.

But it definitely took the cheer out of the vibe for me and both of my kids, my son especially.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let me start with my own accountability and regret. I did not teach my son to drive a stick. A manual. I kept intending to buy another car for him and his sister to learn on, but the timing and cost and moving and...and...
He inherited our 2001 Ford Explorer and drove that for 4 years through the end of High School and first two years of college. Then his sister needed a car. We looked at a number of them for her, but she had always loved that Explorer. When new it was a fantastic do everything vehicle. Shit at 200,000 miles it was an even better do anything vehicle because your no longer concerned with keeping it "Nice" even if you kinda want to. But 200,000 miles was a LONG time ago.
Digression.
So last summer my daughter got the hand me down family truckster and my son got a new to him '13 Cadillac ATS with just over 100,000. It had a few scuffs but nothing serious, interior was...is...MINT. And it has a manual, just what he wanted. He had already taught himself how to drive a stick while working at the local Ford dealership. 1st gear being the most difficult to manage and it was basically the only gear he uses on the lot. Well, 1st and reverse. I've ridden with him. He does good for self taught.
Fast forward...there are noises coming from under the Explorer. It sounds like the fan is hitting the radiator shroud. Except that noise is coming from the transmission. Not sure how many shifts the old girl has left in her and I do not want my daughter stranded.
We got super lucky and I discovered a 2007 Mustang California Special for sale on Post (Fort Campbell). My son and I called the number. A 68 year old gentleman who has 4 other cars and no longer wants to drive a stick is selling it. Dark Blue (Vista Blue) with black stripes and tinted glass.
The ting is IMMACULATE! Inside and out. Just incredible. We made it happen. So he's got the Mustang V8 manual he has (Literally) always wanted and my daughter will get the Caddy. So I have been teaching her to operate a clutch. She is pretty good, she doesn't slip it too much or jerk it by dumping it too fast, she just forgets little things like she shifts to 2nd but then kinda lets the rpms hang and forgets to go for third. Or backing up she let the clutch all the way out and then forgot to push it back in when she put her foot on the brake. Little things.

Well parking is now tight until the Explorer gets sold, so the two cars are parked parallel really close together but kinda staggered so the drivers door of one is opened behind the rear bumper of the other, if that makes sense. I parked the Caddy Tuesday night, to the right and slightly behind the Mustang so the drivers door would open behind the passenger side rear of the Mustang. Put it in 1st gear and locked it up.
What I did not know at that point is that my son has a habit of using the parking brake but not leaving it in gear. So he got ready to go to work yesterday, he is still driving the Caddy until the Mustang is registered with his check this week, and he starts the Caddy without checking if it's in gear and dumps the clutch. With the door still open.

Bam ! Caddy door gets intimate with the Mustang bumper. Blue paint on black paint, black paint on blue, dented door...

I feel shitty for leaving it in gear. I feel shitty for not teaching him he should leave it in gear, I feel shitty for not teaching him to ALWAYS be sure it's in neutral before letting off the clutch and of course, for not setting the parking brake like I should have.

The Mustang will buff out. The Caddy will mostly buff out and I think the dents will come out with a big suction cup dent puller.

But it definitely took the cheer out of the vibe for me and both of my kids, my son especially.
They are young. Learning can be expensive.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Digression.

They are young. Learning can be expensive.
I agree - Lesson learned and hindsight is still undefeated.