• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Jets Cap Woes And What It Could Mean For Us Regarding Muhammad Wilkerson and Damon Harrison

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should the Jets part ways with Sheldon Richardson?

As we approach the new league year and as we face the numerous holes we've got on the d-line, the Jets cap woes may end up requiring them to make some difficult decisions on two FAs -- Muhammad Wilkerson and Damon Harrison -- and current player Sheldon Richardson, who's playing out the last year of his rookie contract.

We all know about Wilkerson -- and he's looking to get paid. Then, there's Damon Harrison, 27, who's a 6'4", 350 pound DT and who PFF named to its All Pro squad. They each could fill major needs we have at DT and DE. If we can sign one, we can draft another in the first round, then get other people like Ziggy Hood for depth.

The wild card here is Sheldon Richardson. Like Culliver and Galette, he's got off-the-field problems that may end up getting him suspended. But he's a definite talent that, if cut by the Jets, could yield us a young player that we could sign relatively cheaply.

Remember that the Jets also have to sign Fitzpatrick and that could very well take up most of their cap space this year, even with a lot restructuring they'll have to pull off just to create room to sign rookies.

Anyways, this is just me putting this option out. It might be a pipe dream. But then again, there might be some interest we have on these guys.

We shall see.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richardson isn't getting cut in 2016 because he is on a cheap contract. He might get traded or maybe not resigned in 2017, but he won't be cut.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the Jets sign Fitzpatrick to anything other than a vet minimum contract? True, he had his best year statistically this past year, but how much of that is due to him, as opposed to due to having a good offensive line, good running game, and throwing the ball to Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker? Talk about a game manager, Fitzpatrick can be counted on to throw int's at the absolute worst times ever.

If I'm the Jets, I sign him for as little a contract as possible, promise him the opportunity to compete for the starting spot with Geno Smith, and draft another guy.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
harrison looks like a guy who could help us and wouldnt quite cost as much as wilkerson

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the Jets sign Fitzpatrick to anything other than a vet minimum contract? True, he had his best year statistically this past year, but how much of that is due to him, as opposed to due to having a good offensive line, good running game, and throwing the ball to Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker? Talk about a game manager, Fitzpatrick can be counted on to throw int's at the absolute worst times ever.

If I'm the Jets, I sign him for as little a contract as possible, promise him the opportunity to compete for the starting spot with Geno Smith, and draft another guy.

Fitzpatrick is clearly worth more than a vet minimum contract. And whether or not his performance this year was inflated by those around him, he's going to get paid, just like Sam Bradford (a clearly average guy) will be. If they don't pay Fitz something in the range of $15M year -- and that might not cut it -- another team like the Texans will. Why? Because that's simply the going rate for a QB of his caliber these days.

The flip side to this all is the fact that the Jets have little alternative to Fitz. If they let him go, who'll replace him? Geno Smith? LOL. As far as I understand the Jets' situation, they're looking at this and the next season as the window to winning a Superbowl. A lot of their key vets are 31 and older, and this is the time to make that run. They can't do that without Fitz and, if they don't sign him to something like a $15M contract, he'll walk.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitz will get paid, but the amount is the subject of debate. I know one thing though: he won't be getting anywhere near a vet minimum.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McScotty has stated several times the team will not be big players in FA.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I saw that. But "big players" can be read to mean different things. If they're not going to fetch a player (and I'm talking just one), not sure how they'll fill out that d-line when Hatcher retires / gets cut.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our free agency period will look much like last season . no block buster types

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Hatcher leaves, how do we fill out our d-line, and that's assuming we re-sign Pot Roast? We could fill one position via the draft, but we also need to sign someone else. If we don't get someone like a Damon Harrison, not sure how effective we'll be up front.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our free agency period will look much like last season . no block buster types

I think Harrison fits into a no block buster zone. Richardson and Wilkerson not so much.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Hatcher leaves, how do we fill out our d-line, and that's assuming we re-sign Pot Roast? We could fill one position via the draft, but we also need to sign someone else. If we don't get someone like a Damon Harrison, not sure how effective we'll be up front.

Hatcher didn't make an impact this season so his absence is of little consequence. You fill his roster spot like every other spot. You use people on the roster, those we draft, and then fill in the gaps with low cost free agents.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McScotty has stated several times the team will not be big players in FA.
Exactly yet fans continue to start threads like this. Not saying any of these guys are in the Hayneswort/Suh category but they will all be bigger deals than Scotty will look to sign. Dad and others here are right, every offseason will look like last year or even more low key. He will sign a couple of mid level FAs and a few cheaper ones. But the plan is draft/develop/sign to extension.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Harrison fits into a no block buster zone. Richardson and Wilkerson not so much.

i tend to agree with you here breed harrison could be more of a target or perhaps the 49ers ian williams

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly yet fans continue to start threads like this. Not saying any of these guys are in the Hayneswort/Suh category but they will all be bigger deals than Scotty will look to sign. Dad and others here are right, every offseason will look like last year or even more low key. He will sign a couple of mid level FAs and a few cheaper ones. But the plan is draft/develop/sign to extension.

Are you talking about . . . me? :)

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i tend to agree with you here breed harrison could be more of a target or perhaps the 49ers ian williams

Yeah, I can't say I'm very familiar with Harrison, but he seems to fit the "not a big name" criteria. Plus his size, age, and availability/staying injury free, he only played in 5 games his rookie year, 2012, but for the last 3 years he's started all 48 games for the Jets. Are all within a desired criteria as well.

Damon Harrison Career Stats | The Football Database

One man's opinion on Williams. 49ers free agents 2016: Projecting a contract for Ian Williams If dude's write up is accurate Williams may indeed garner some interest from the Skins. Some I'm sure will complain about the contract numbers the article writer camp up with, but the bottom is this. W/O a competent NG a 34 defense doesn't function well.

One possible drawback though is that in a 6 year career. Williams has only played in all 16 games once, that being last year. I don't know if all the missed games are due to injury, but that's the initial thought I have,

Ian Williams Career Stats | The Football Database

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are 100% correct . i also feel pot roast did ok for us and we should consider him at the right price