• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: The Beginning of Berube Era: Panthers @ Flyers

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heh.. unfortunately the flyers SUCK in florida. (IIRC)

irrelevant i guess since the game is in philly

who is this awaz guy? :L

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds:

i like it.. i actually think that 2nd line has significantly more offensive pop than the 1st line though.. the one thing i think the flyers really miss though, is a bonafide goal scorer. they dont really have anyone who's sole purpose is to score goals.

i think if things turnaround like i think they will, that will be the piece they should look for at the deadline to make a run

I don't know, the top two lines look pretty balanced to me. Yes, we don't have a 40 goal scorer, but how many teams actually do? Only four of them in the last full season. Hartnell, Giroux, Simmonds, Lecavalier, Voracek and Read are all very capable of netting 25-30.

And if Scotty gets back to his form of '11-'12 (which is not out of the realm of possibility given the great shape he's in), he pretty much is a "bonafide scorer" as you say (37 goals, 232 shots). He could've easily had 2-3 goals in the first period of our first game. I can't help but wonder how that would've changed the course of history.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good start for the Flyers, up 2-0. Already their highest scoring game of the season.

BTW

You think Brayden Schenn & Braydon Coburn get into arguments about who spells their first name the right way?

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still are a very bad team. Not at all impressed w this team.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Flyer fans for the 1st win of the season and congrats to Craig Berube for winning his 1st game as coach.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still are a very bad team. Not at all impressed w this team.

Agreed the effort was there more tonight but they were pinned in their zone way too much. They need to find a way to break out or they'll have a hard time winning. Rosehill was retarded they don't need shit like that in a tight game. I'd tell him that if he ever does shit like that again he'll be riding the bus in the ECHL!!!!!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice pick

:yahoo:

Hey thanks for reminding me I made that pick, I forgot I posted that.

Props to you guys for the win and I guess also props to the Doobster for calling the score :suds:

Makes me feel better about getting my other picks wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the second goal, Berube was writing on some memo pad he has on the bench. I imagine it was something like "Play against Tim Thomas more."

I mean, we got the win, yay!, but this was not a great game. Our two goals were both scored on misplays by the goalie, the rest of our offense was stagnant, we couldn't score on a five minute major penalty, and we got pinned in our zone WAY too much.

The bright spots were the four minute PK kill, and Mason. Stole one for us tonight; I expect some of those stops to be on saves of the week.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After the second goal, Berube was writing on some memo pad he has on the bench. I imagine it was something like "Play against Tim Thomas more."

I mean, we got the win, yay!, but this was not a great game. Our two goals were both scored on misplays by the goalie, the rest of our offense was stagnant, we couldn't score on a five minute major penalty, and we got pinned in our zone WAY too much.

The bright spots were the four minute PK kill, and Mason. Stole one for us tonight; I expect some of those stops to be on saves of the week.

by the way i still feel like Thomas left the game because he was embarrassed at his effort on the second goal. i know they are reporting a minor groin pull i don't believe it.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was messy, but it was a win. It'll be a few games before Berube can start making it look pretty

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will take the win even though we still looked like we did the last couple of games. One change i liked about last night was that we broke out right away instead of waiting behind our net for everyone to cycle back. We broke out fast and hard in the first period it looked good.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's definitely the first time in awhile for me where we've come away with a win that felt like a loss. Obviously the emotion and physicality were there last night, but we're still terrible at both ends of the ice. Based on that one performance, Mason is probably the starter, at least for now. Our power play is just plain bad for a team with so many weapons and we're caught back in our own end defending for far too long.

You can already tell that this is going to take some time. We do already have the players to be successful though in my opinion. It's just as if everyone suddenly forgot how to play hockey this season...

On a side note, I do at least feel great about the two Flyers I drafted in fantasy. Mason and Lecavalier. Those have probably been our two best players to date.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you gotta approach things like it's preseason for now & only focus on the positives.

Mason looks like he's going to be a good goalie for you guys, came up with some big saves. Gotta be pleased with that consider the Flyers' goalie struggles over the years.

Although they need to get better at clearing their own zone their defense in the own zone has looked pretty good the past 2 games.

Brayden Schenn has been outstanding thus far.

Flyers are a work in progress, but they've taken some good steps the past 2 games to get somewhat back on track. Also with their first win you gotta figure there's some sense of ease in the locker room.

Looch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't get too excited about 2 soft goals against a 40 yr old crippled goalie but we needed that win so I'll take it. Watching that 5 minute PP it was clear that this team does not have an offensive system. It's like 5 guys in a pick up game that never played together. Hopefully Chief has a plan and we will see some improvement after a few practices.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't get too excited about 2 soft goals against a 40 yr old crippled goalie but we needed that win so I'll take it. Watching that 5 minute PP it was clear that this team does not have an offensive system. It's like 5 guys in a pick up game that never played together. Hopefully Chief has a plan and we will see some improvement after a few practices.

Yeah, their offense needs to shape up. Right now the goaltending is really carrying the team. Really ironic when you think about it.