• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: The Beginning of Berube Era: Panthers @ Flyers

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well...the first game of hopefully many for the new Flyers coach. Though a lot of us differ on our opinions of Lavy in general I think we all agreed it was time to go and a new system needed to be brought in. Berube said in his presser that the Flyers would generate offense by playing better team defense. This is an exciting idea, since I don't think they have been playing team defense for about 2 years. I know Mason and Emery should be excited about it. I think a few things need to happen tonight for the Flyers to win but most importantly that G starts to get on track. It would also be nice to see them moved the puck effectively from their own end into Florida's.

This is my first game thread ever (in the 4-5 years I have been on this site) so why not it be our first win?

LETS GO FLYERS!:yahoo:

John

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what happens if Berube can't turn it around? Does he get fired after 3 games or is the GM next?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm very excited for a new coach, but i'm not gunna hold my breath for a week or two.. let things get settled in before we expect a huge turnaround.

i'm really excited to see what this team can do under a new coach though. i really do think it has tons of talent.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So what happens if Berube can't turn it around? Does he get fired after 3 games or is the GM next?

geeeez the negativity on here!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how the Doobster sees it,

Florida Panthers
L1: Tomas Fleischmann - Marcel Goc - Kris Versteeg
L2: Jonathan Huberdeau - Aleksander Barkov - Brad Boyes
L3: Scott Upshall - Scott Gomez - Tomas Kopecky
L4: Jesse Winchester - Shawn Matthias - Krys Barch
D1: Brian Campbell - Erik Gudbranson
D2: Dmitry Kulikov - Mike Weaver
D3: Tom Gilbert - Matt Gilroy
G: Tim Thomas

Philadelphia Flyers
L1: Scott Hartnell - Claude Giroux - Brayden Schenn
L2: Matt Read - Vincent Lacavalier - Wayne Simmonds
L3: Max Talbot - Sean Couturier - Jakub Voracek
L4: Jay Rosehill - Adam Hall - Zac Rinaldo
D1:Kimmo Timonen - Braydon Coburn
D2: Luke Schenn - Mark Streit
D3: Erik Gustafsson - Nicklas Grossman
G: Ray Emery

Series notes
All-time: Flyers lead series 44-26-3 plus 7 ties
Last season: Panthers won series 2-1
Last meeting: 2/21/13 @ Philadelphia, Panthers won 5-2

Doob's analysis:
The Doobster has picked the Flyers to win against the Maple Leafs, Canadiens, & Hurricanes only to be proven wrong every single time. Firing Peter Laviolett should serve as somewhat of a wakeup call to the team, but I'm not sure how much of a chance Craig Berube could make within 24 hours. Panthers on the other hand are coming off a 7-0 beatdown at the hands of the Blues so they're probably the Flyers' easiest opponent to date. Doobster will pick the Flyers to win 2-1 but not with a lot of confidence.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is how the Doobster sees it,

Florida Panthers
L1: Tomas Fleischmann - Marcel Goc - Kris Versteeg
L2: Jonathan Huberdeau - Aleksander Barkov - Brad Boyes
L3: Scott Upshall - Scott Gomez - Tomas Kopecky
L4: Jesse Winchester - Shawn Matthias - Krys Barch
D1: Brian Campbell - Erik Gudbranson
D2: Dmitry Kulikov - Mike Weaver
D3: Tom Gilbert - Matt Gilroy
G: Tim Thomas

Philadelphia Flyers
L1: Scott Hartnell - Claude Giroux - Brayden Schenn
L2: Matt Read - Vincent Lacavalier - Wayne Simmonds
L3: Max Talbot - Sean Couturier - Jakub Voracek
L4: Jay Rosehill - Adam Hall - Zac Rinaldo
D1:Kimmo Timonen - Braydon Coburn
D2: Luke Schenn - Mark Streit
D3: Erik Gustafsson - Nicklas Grossman
G: Ray Emery

Series notes
All-time: Flyers lead series 44-26-3 plus 7 ties
Last season: Panthers won series 2-1
Last meeting: 2/21/13 @ Philadelphia, Panthers won 5-2

Doob's analysis:
The Doobster has picked the Flyers to win against the Maple Leafs, Canadiens, & Hurricanes only to be proven wrong every single time. Firing Peter Laviolett should serve as somewhat of a wakeup call to the team, but I'm not sure how much of a chance Craig Berube could make within 24 hours. Panthers on the other hand are coming off a 7-0 beatdown at the hands of the Blues so they're probably the Flyers' easiest opponent to date. Doobster will pick the Flyers to win 2-1 but not with a lot of confidence.

mez with the healthy scratch? haha

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm very excited for a new coach, but i'm not gunna hold my breath for a week or two.. let things get settled in before we expect a huge turnaround.

i'm really excited to see what this team can do under a new coach though. i really do think it has tons of talent.

I am very excited also (how could we not be) because Berube in his interview was talking about improving on something i was talking about yesterday. When we lose the puck we never go after it. we stand and watch and you're not going to score goals by not having the puck.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mez is out because he's on a plane to Calgary for Glencross. :laugh3: JK. Not that I'm against the guy but they can use his cap space and a change is probably a good idea right about now.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like it will be (according to the 'longest morning skate' any philly beat writer has ever seen)

Hartnell.Giroux.Simmonds
Schenn.Lecavalier.Voracek
Read.Couturier.Talbot
Rosehill.Hall.Rinaldo

Timonen.Schenn
Grossmann.Coburn
Meszaros.Streit

Mason
Emery

interesting.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the lines are as follow for the flyers:

hartnell g simmonds
schenn lecavalier voracek
talbot couturier read
rosehill hall rinaldo

d goes:

timmonen schenn
coburn grossman
mez streit

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks like it will be (according to the 'longest morning skate' any philly beat writer has ever seen)

Hartnell.Giroux.Simmonds
Schenn.Lecavalier.Voracek
Read.Couturier.Talbot
Rosehill.Hall.Rinaldo

Timonen.Schenn
Grossmann.Coburn
Meszaros.Streit

Mason
Emery

interesting.

ahh you beat me :bawling:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ahh you beat me :bawling:

:suds:

i like it.. i actually think that 2nd line has significantly more offensive pop than the 1st line though.. the one thing i think the flyers really miss though, is a bonafide goal scorer. they dont really have anyone who's sole purpose is to score goals.

i think if things turnaround like i think they will, that will be the piece they should look for at the deadline to make a run

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't put Hartnell on the same line as Simmonds. They're likely to just get in each others way and draw the Panthers' defense into the low slot area.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't put Hartnell on the same line as Simmonds. They're likely to just get in each others way and draw the Panthers' defense into the low slot area.

i actually like it.. they form a great trio on the powerplay.. hartnell can be a lot more than just a banger and i think simmonds frees him up to do that a little bit.. whether or not he does play more of a role than a banger, we'll ahve to see

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds:

i like it.. i actually think that 2nd line has significantly more offensive pop than the 1st line though.. the one thing i think the flyers really miss though, is a bonafide goal scorer. they dont really have anyone who's sole purpose is to score goals.

i think if things turnaround like i think they will, that will be the piece they should look for at the deadline to make a run

Swap Vinny and gee and that would be the better of the lines.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

at the same time they could demand a lot of attention away from Giroux and give him more space to work with.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at the same time they could demand a lot of attention away from Giroux and give him more space to work with.

Yeah, Giroux should have the mid slot area open, but setting up teammates could be a problem if everyone is covered down low. We'll see how it works out, it is against the Panthers after all LOL

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Giroux should have the mid slot area open, but setting up teammates could be a problem if everyone is covered down low. We'll see how it works out, it is against the Panthers after all LOL

heh.. unfortunately the flyers SUCK in florida. (IIRC)

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heh.. unfortunately the flyers SUCK in florida. (IIRC)

Yeah, Flyers are technically the worse team, but with the way the Panthers' defense has performed dating back to last season, you could pretty much try anything against them and it's bound to work.