• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2021 PGA Championship at the Ocean Course Kiawah Island.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad Phil didn't save this performance for the US Open. Then again, knowing Phil...he'd still find a way to finish 2nd.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Mickelson emerge from that sea of humanity at the end of the 18th fairway was really cool.

Mickelson and Oosthuizen both had bad times on 17, in fact Mickelson had two in a row and should have been docked a stroke.
His tee shot took 1:47 and his second shot from over the green took 1:41. Oosthuizen was even worse, taking 1`:55 to hit his tee ball in to the 17th green.

If you are going to penalize Catlin, then you should do it to the big boys as well. Waiting for those shots on the last few holes today was excruciating.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, nobody saw this happening. But most are glad it did.
The ultimate cheery on top on what was already a world class golf career.

Well done Phil.

Phil-Mickelson-Wanamaker.jpg

Last edited:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody's got to press him. If nobody challenges him and he can go out there and manage the course he's going to be in great shape going into tomorrow. Up 2 strokes now.

Well he certainly didn't make it easy on himself that's for sure!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. -- Brooks Koepka wasn't simply sore about bad putting that cost him a chance at his third PGA Championship win and fifth major title. He was sore about his injured right knee, which he had to protect and yet still got hit a few times as fans engulfed him and eventual winner Phil Mickelson in a raucous, at times scary, scene in the 18th fairway at the Ocean Course on Kiawah Island.

"Yeah it would have been cool if I didn't have a knee injury," he said of the scene at the last hole, with fans eager to congratulate Mickelson, 50, as he became the oldest major champion in golf history. "Got dinged a few times in the knee in that crowd because no one really gave a s---, personally. But if I was fine, yeah, it would have been cool. It's cool for Phil. But getting dinged a few times isn't exactly my idea of fun."

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. -- Brooks Koepka wasn't simply sore about bad putting that cost him a chance at his third PGA Championship win and fifth major title. He was sore about his injured right knee, which he had to protect and yet still got hit a few times as fans engulfed him and eventual winner Phil Mickelson in a raucous, at times scary, scene in the 18th fairway at the Ocean Course on Kiawah Island.

"Yeah it would have been cool if I didn't have a knee injury," he said of the scene at the last hole, with fans eager to congratulate Mickelson, 50, as he became the oldest major champion in golf history. "Got dinged a few times in the knee in that crowd because no one really gave a s---, personally. But if I was fine, yeah, it would have been cool. It's cool for Phil. But getting dinged a few times isn't exactly my idea of fun."

I understanding what he is saving but it just comes off as whining since he had a 1 stroke lead after the first hole and blew it.
Brooks has this "tough as nails' persona and rightfully so ...but he would have been better off not complaining about the crowd like they all had torches & pitch forks and he was Frankenstein.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understanding what he is saving but it just comes off as whining since he had a 1 stroke lead after the first hole and blew it.
Brooks has this "tough as nails' persona and rightfully so ...but he would have been better off not complaining about the crowd like they all had torches & pitch forks and he was Frankenstein.

Yeah the crowd was a little "over eager" for sure and clearly didn't let him or Phil really do much

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't ever recall a crowd not allowing the competitors some distance. Even Tiger in 2019. The course lost control of the crowd and that deserves criticism.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's Phil in a nutshell. He has been a modern day Palmer - capable of the spectacular and the dreadful, all on the same hole.

Exactly. How the heck do you hit a 2nd shot like that (on 14?) and half swing and hit it into the water?

Easy for me to say, I've never played with that much pressure put on me

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't ever recall a crowd not allowing the competitors some distance. Even Tiger in 2019. The course lost control of the crowd and that deserves criticism.

I hit "enter" too quickly on my last post. Yes, it did appear that the course lost control. Blame them but you have to blame the spectators as well so doing it..

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hit "enter" too quickly on my last post. Yes, it did appear that the course lost control. Blame them but you have to blame the spectators as well so doing it..

Yea

Brooks was implying someone was intentionally messing with his knee using the crowd as an excuse. As we saw a long ways back with Seles you never know. Absolutely unacceptable security but also behavior from the crowd.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. Buying a ticket doesn’t entitle you to that. You pay to see the players to what they do, not to mob them like British paparazzi.

Koepka may sound like sour grapes, but he has a point. The guy spent all that time and hard work rehabbing the knee, and these people acting like rabid wolves easily could’ve reinjured it.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea

Brooks was implying someone was intentionally messing with his knee using the crowd as an excuse. As we saw a long ways back with Seles you never know. Absolutely unacceptable security but also behavior from the crowd.

The only time they did was potentially on his 2nd shot and walking to the green (I am sure they did). That's the only time... Koepka lost it (the game) about 5 holes prior when he couldn't hit a drive or make a putt.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've worked a lot of events and it is fairly hard to get the proper security in place for the amount of peope that come to events, especially a major and certainly now that the covid restrictions are easing up

But even with the crowds Tiger brought and the amount of times they surrounded him and walked him up to the green they NEVER prevented him or his playing partner to get to the green unimpeded.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only time they did was potentially on his 2nd shot and walking to the green (I am sure they did). That's the only time... Koepka lost it (the game) about 5 holes prior when he couldn't hit a drive or make a putt.

Well duh he has no one to blame for the actual loss but him criticizing the crowd situation is hardly sour grapes. I know you have way more insight on this than I do but compare and contrast Tiger in 19 to this situation.

So ya .... no doubt dude was already pissy knowing Phil didn't exactly have a killer round and Brooks lost but the two are separate issues in my mind

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've worked a lot of events and it is fairly hard to get the proper security in place for the amount of peope that come to events, especially a major and certainly now that the covid restrictions are easing up

But even with the crowds Tiger brought and the amount of times they surrounded him and walked him up to the green they NEVER prevented him or his playing partner to get to the green unimpeded.

Yea. I don't watch a ton of golf but I've never seen that. Guaranteed it's a talking point for the PGA going forward.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well duh he has no one to blame for the actual loss but him criticizing the crowd situation is hardly sour grapes. I know you have way more insight on this than I do but compare and contrast Tiger in 19 to this situation.

So ya .... no doubt dude was already pissy knowing Phil didn't exactly have a killer round and Brooks lost but the two are separate issues in my mind

Oh I wasn't saying Brooks was blaming the crowd on 18 for why he lost. He has every right to say what he did. That was bush league by the crowd for sure.

I think in "19 Tiger had a bigger crowd than yesterday and it was contained pretty good but again it's hard to tell when we are in the current covid situation we are in Going from only maybe spouses in the crowd to however many people were let in yesterday is a huge difference.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guaranteed it's a talking point for the PGA going forward

It had better be. I am a little surprised CBS didn't make a bigger deal about it either.

it's only The Traveler's but I will be working that one as a hole captain so I am sure we will get some instructions about crowd control. Not a major by any means but they do get a large crowd and a very high quality field

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I wasn't saying Brooks was blaming the crowd on 18 for why he lost. He has every right to say what he did. That was bush league by the crowd for sure.

I think in "19 Tiger had a bigger crowd than yesterday and it was contained pretty good but again it's hard to tell when we are in the current covid situation we are in Going from only maybe spouses in the crowd to however many people were let in yesterday is a huge difference.

No doubt.

I like Brooks... probably more because he can just bring it like it does for Majors when it's clear he doesn't have near that drive for other tournaments. But I don't think he is a fan favorite lol