• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2015 Dodgers Outfield - Puig, Pederson, and a bunch of other people

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other peoples' perceptions about how people are rated has to be the least interesting thing in the world to me.

I bet you like Bleacher Report.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other peoples' perceptions about how people are rated has to be the least interesting thing in the world to me.

I bet you like Bleacher Report.

And that's exactly your problem, or at least one of them, because I'm sure you have plenty. You only care about how you perceive someone to be, like Puig, and then of course that makes you right and "everybody" else wrong! It doesn't matter that 150 major leaguers that actually know more than you do because they see it every day, they live it every day, but of course they are wrong!

I don't read bleacher report very often, but I don't care if the article was in the National Enquirer, if 150 players were polled and they believe Puig is overrated, I think I'm going to believe them over some guy spewing shit out of his basement!

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to wonder if Dodger fans think hanging on to Puig is in their interests. Last night against the Braves, he missed the cutoff man which allowed a run to score. It seems that for too long his 'potential' has overshadowed the reality that this kid is not popular in the clubhouse and is way under performing. Do you think a trade might be in the offing? If Greinke opts out after this season and moves elsewhere, maybe the Dodgers can package Puig in a deal to the Phillies to pick up Hamels?

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to wonder if Dodger fans think hanging on to Puig is in their interests. Last night against the Braves, he missed the cutoff man which allowed a run to score. It seems that for too long his 'potential' has overshadowed the reality that this kid is not popular in the clubhouse and is way under performing. Do you think a trade might be in the offing? If Greinke opts out after this season and moves elsewhere, maybe the Dodgers can package Puig in a deal to the Phillies to pick up Hamels?

How dare you accuse Puig of underperforming! Get ready for Villian to tell you why he's not, should be interesting!

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL....In my humble opinion, I don't really see a drop off when Puig is not in the line up. Dump him and pull in Hamels. Can you imagine if the Dodgers somehow manage to hold on to Greinke and open up next year with Kershaw, Greinke and Hamels?? It will harken back to the 90s when the Braves trotted out Maddox, Glavin and Smoltz.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There you go again, giving us that in depth response! An outsider comes on our board and asks what we think about something, and he gets the insightful"no". You could at least tell him why you think "no" but I don't think " because he's my favorite player and I like him" is a very good reason!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puig is off to a slow start this year. He's also been injured most of the time. He's also only 24 years old. Trading Puig for a rental pitcher is just about the stupidest idea that I've ever heard. You wanna trade Puig for Sonny Gray or Chris Sale? Do it.

But then, you need to find a new regular outfielder, unless you want to see Ethier, Pederson, and Crawford all out there on a daily basis - which sounds like the worst idea in the world to me.

Puig, despite perceptions, is still producing at an above average clip for the season. 1.1 WAR at All-Star break and he accumulated that while being on the DL? That's crazy. 120 wRC+. If he kept this up--which we all agree is below our standards for what we expect from him--for an entire season, he would be worth about 3.5 WAR.

For some perspective on what that looks like, here are some outfielders worth between 3.0 and 3.5 WAR last year: Adrian Gonzalez, Edwin Encarnacion, Leonys Martin, Evan Longoria, Jose Reyes, Brett Gardner, Hanley Ramirez (3.3 WAR), Yoenis Cespedes, Pablo Sandoval (3.0). I don't think any one you would mind having any one of those guys in your starting line up every day.

His baBIP and ISO are both below his career averages. He's right where he's always been in K% and BB% so there's not a problem in his approach that's causing an issue. Instead, it looks like there's just a combination of not making the strong, solid contact that we're accustomed to and that he's getting bitten by at-em balls and such. Yes, despite the fact that August is approaching, we can still call this a start. Due to the time out of the lineup, Puig has only racked up a hair more than 200 Plate Appearances. It's reasonable to expect over 650 PAs per season from a top-of-the-order regular.

TL;DR: Don't trade Puig because he's performed below his career numbers in the small sample size of playing time this year. Do trade him if someone wants to give you what he's truly worth - A LOT - because he's a cost-controlled 24 year old and he's only going to get better.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL....In my humble opinion, I don't really see a drop off when Puig is not in the line up. Dump him and pull in Hamels. Can you imagine if the Dodgers somehow manage to hold on to Greinke and open up next year with Kershaw, Greinke and Hamels?? It will harken back to the 90s when the Braves trotted out Maddox, Glavin and Smoltz.
Hamels isn't worth Puig. Not even close.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry, but an article with statements that are behind Pederson doesn't change the fact that we should be "at least " a little concerned. I think he will figure it out, but just because a couple guys think he will, doesn't mean he will.
And Mattingly saying that a walking lead doesn't work in the Majors, maybe he should watch Anthony Rizzo 6'3" 240 lbs, 12 steals, seems to work for him, so it should for Pederson, who has a ton more speed than Rizzo!

Don't get all bent out of shape Villian, I think he will snap out of his slump, but come on, it is a bit of a concern, major league pitching is better than AAA if you've noticed!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but an article with statements that are behind Pederson doesn't change the fact that we should be "at least " a little concerned. I think he will figure it out, but just because a couple guys think he will, doesn't mean he will.
And Mattingly saying that a walking lead doesn't work in the Majors, maybe he should watch Anthony Rizzo 6'3" 240 lbs, 12 steals, seems to work for him, so it should for Pederson, who has a ton more speed than Rizzo!

Don't get all bent out of shape Villian, I think he will snap out of his slump, but come on, it is a bit of a concern, major league pitching is better than AAA if you've noticed!
So... you didn't read it?

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... you didn't read it?

I did read it, that's why I'm saying of course the guys that stand behind him are going to say that he will be fine, managers and coaches always stand behind their players and say positive things and that they will be just fine!
I'm fine if he ends up being a .250 hitter, hits alot of HRs and gets alot of walks, he's the best center fielder we have had in YEARS.

I love the guy, I'm just saying that it's a little concerning, some of his numbers are still up their because they were really good early and now they still look good, but over the past 41 games he has hit less than .180, struck out 49 times, sorry, but I find that a little concerning? A slump that lasts 25% of the seaso is a pretty good chunck of the season.

As far as the Howie comparison, that's a joke, Howies slugging % isn't going to be that good, hes not a power hitter, he's a contact hitter, he hit 4th or 5th quite often with the Angels, I really don't understand why he isn't hitting 2nd. It's like tonight Turner is hitting second, I don't have a problem with that, but when Howies playing I would rather see Howie hitting 2nd and Turner 4th or 5th, turner good contact hitter with some pop, just makes more sense?

I'm with you here Villian, I think he will turn it around, I hope so anyway!

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ya I saw that, I just hope he picks up some walks, bloop hits, seeing eye singles, something, the kid has to much talent and you never know if this slump might be getting to him or not, i know he's getting frustrated, looked like it after hitting into that double play after Kershaws single. Just needs to maybe put a couple good games back to back!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puig has been placed on the 15-Day DL because of his hamstring.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the past two years, he's been average and hurt quite often! And those are the facts!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather see Crawford and/or Ethier traded while the Dodgers keep Schebler. Probably a pipe dream, but who knows? This Front Office is difficult to predict.

Ethier's trade value is probably as high as it's ever going to get, assuming he stays healthy and continues to play well. However, his 10-and-5 rights kick in this year which grants him a full no-trade clause. Two years guaranteed and a third year with a vesting option. That contract is probably a lot easier for other teams to swallow now than it was last winter, assuming the Dodgers eat some of it (you know they will).

Crawford also only has 2 years left on his deal. Maybe this is the winter that they finally move on.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ruggiano, Van Slyke, and Heisey bout to see a lot of playing time this week. Really missing Kike right about now.

Bonus note via TBLA:

"The Dodgers are hitting .265/.339/.418 against southpaws this season, with a .329 wOBA, tops in the National League in on-base percentage, slugging percentage, OPS, wOBA, OPS+ (112) and wRC+ (110), ad third in batting average."