• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suh's new contract??????

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main reason I want Suh resigned is not because it's a good move strategically, but simply because I do not trust Mayhew to use that cap space and get the proper players in place to replace him.. We know Suh is great but for how much who knows.. But we don't know what they would use with the money because Management is meh..

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main reason I want Suh resigned is not because it's a good move strategically, but simply because I do not trust Mayhew to use that cap space and get the proper players in place to replace him.. We know Suh is great but for how much who knows.. But we don't know what they would use with the money because Management is meh..

I said this some where. Could not agree more. I said he brings a top notch center for that money. What say you?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
love the sarcasm on bringing a top notch center... it's still funny

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wouldn't be able to do shit with FA whether Suh re-signs or not... 17 players and maybe 26 mil to work with... K.... Suh re-signs and it's 16 players and maybe 20 mil to get all those. There's always kick the can down the road method. we all know how that comes up and works out

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wouldn't be able to do shit with FA whether Suh re-signs or not... 17 players and maybe 26 mil to work with... K.... Suh re-signs and it's 16 players and maybe 20 mil to get all those. There's always kick the can down the road method. we all know how that comes up and works out

Seems the first option. BB, writing on wall says 87% gone IMO

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he gone anyways, IMO. NYC, Jay-Z makes him a boatload more with endorsements galore. Probably gets him into branding his name for mfg/marketing/sale of clothing, shoes, cologne and who knows what else. all JMO

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he gone anyways, IMO. NYC, Jay-Z makes him a boatload more with endorsements galore. Probably gets him into branding his name for mfg/marketing/sale of clothing, shoes, cologne and who knows what else. all JMO

I would so buy some Suhperman underroos

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't scoff at the notion that Jay-Z doesn't have many things planned for Suh, even if it's BigBoy panties.

Look at P Diddy, Russell Simmons, 50-penny (way too many names to mention). they're some smart entrepreneurs. right up the ole Suh alley, brain-wise

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate committing this kind of money to one player too, but have to ask myself what I think will happen to the cap in the next 5 years. If it rises $15-$20MM (say, $10MM on average), then allocating $4MM of that to Suh isn't insane. The window with Calvin is going to close after about 3 more years so if the goal is to win a Superbowl we have to try.

At worst it hurts the Giants or Jets' cap down the road as they have to match the salary. It maybe even gives us an argument with the league that there should be a compensatory pick at the end of the second for players signed for an average of more than $15MM per season.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to say is responsible for turning our defense into an elite run defense, but I can't get on board with that. The progression of Levy and the addition of Ansah and Taylor have helped the Lions become a great run defense.

Suh has been on the Lions for 5 years now. The Lions ranked in the 20's against the run and teams would simply run right at Suh. Levy becoming an outstanding LB last year and this year is the biggest transformation.

Yeah hes the main reason, he wont be singlehandedly stopping the run when hes double teamed, so of course he needs players around him. Levy has been a stud for sure and should be with that front four and suh in front of him. Suh is just hitting his prime and needs to be resigned. Although I think he will be choosing to sign for a winner. Take suh out of the middle and you will quickly see that old lions defense both pass and run.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he the main reason? I would agree he is a huge part. It takes a team effort. The run defense is stout on both sides. Are you saying if Suh is gone the Lions suddenly are the bottom of barrel?

I am seeing contribution all over field stuffing the run. Not just on his side. Not seeing the wide 9 is surely a help there.

I think hes the MVP of the defense and hes just hitting his prime. Granted he could have stepped up his game a notch this year in a contract year, but either way, yeah if they remove him lions fans will see a huge drop off in defensive production. This is the kind of guy lions fans have waited years for, hes a future HOF. We drafted him and hes been a dominant force and fans are ready to see him go because they dont want to pay the man. It sucks, I hate it, but the recipe for success is building a strong team through the draft and retaining your studs. The lions need to continue to draft well and pay their best players. Draft well and they will be fine from a financial standpoint.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fire Mayhew, and Suh might decide to stay.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How quickly mayhew would be gone if suh agreed to a below market contract if the lions fired him.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm perplexed at how many fans deemphasize Suh's value. I blame perception derived from media. The Seahawks defense excels with a great secondary, and suddenly all fans want that imitated.

Except the one problem with that logic is Seattle doest have a few good players in their secondary. They have great players. All-pros at 3/4 of the secondary positions. Plus, good players everywhere else.

Suh, IMO, is the best DT in the NFL. Its not coincidence that a lot of the guys who've played next to him have experienced not only elevated performance, but accelerated maturation. KVB. Avril. Lawrence Jackson. Willie Young. Corey Williams. Sammy Lee Hill. Jason Jones. They've all enjoyed good play here. No offense to Mayhew, but its not because he has an astronomically high success rate of talent acquisition. The constant is Suh.

The 3 years before Suh, we were 32nd in yards allowed every year, and 32nd in points allowed every year. His first year we jumped up 11 and 13 spots in those categories. Last year, when we started to show a legit DE and LB(Levy and Ansah) we moved up even more, to 16 and 15, in those rankings.

This year, we now have added some competent secondary play, and we've become a top defense. It all starts with Suh, IMO. He makes everyone on the line better, and that trickles throughout the rest of the defense.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm perplexed at how many fans deemphasize Suh's value. I blame perception derived from media. The Seahawks defense excels with a great secondary, and suddenly all fans want that imitated.

Except the one problem with that logic is Seattle doest have a few good players in their secondary. They have great players. All-pros at 3/4 of the secondary positions. Plus, good players everywhere else.

Suh, IMO, is the best DT in the NFL. Its not coincidence that a lot of the guys who've played next to him have experienced not only elevated performance, but accelerated maturation. KVB. Avril. Lawrence Jackson. Willie Young. Corey Williams. Sammy Lee Hill. Jason Jones. They've all enjoyed good play here. No offense to Mayhew, but its not because he has an astronomically high success rate of talent acquisition. The constant is Suh.

The 3 years before Suh, we were 32nd in yards allowed every year, and 32nd in points allowed every year. His first year we jumped up 11 and 13 spots in those categories. Last year, when we started to show a legit DE and LB(Levy and Ansah) we moved up even more, to 16 and 15, in those rankings.

This year, we now have added some competent secondary play, and we've become a top defense. It all starts with Suh, IMO. He makes everyone on the line better, and that trickles throughout the rest of the defense.

Wouldn't it seem then that while Suh is a piece of the puzzle that has lead to this improvement that the talent in the other areas has helped to make him look better? You just mentioned the secondary (Slay and Quin), the LB core (Levy, Tulloch, and perhaps even Whitehead), the DE's (Ziggy). Fairley was put next to him and was a staggering improvement over what we previously had. Even the contributions of more rotational and second tier starters like Jones, Taylor, Johnson, Mathis, etc. All of these guys are better talent than what was here before Suh. And you cant undervalue the change in scheme as well.

The debate amongst the fans is whether or not he is the central figure that leads the way to our new found success or simply one part of it as a good player? And whether or not its worth the betterment of the team to have a huge amount of resources in the form of cap space tied up in him? Does the team as a collective whole get better when those resources are used to improve in other areas if he were gone than if he stays?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The debate amongst the fans is whether or not he is the central figure that leads the way to our new found success or simply one part of it as a good player? And whether or not its worth the betterment of the team to have a huge amount of resources in the form of cap space tied up in him? Does the team as a collective whole get better when those resources are used to improve in other areas if he were gone than if he stays?
This.

image-15.jpg

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not being a fan of the Lions but I do live in the area and support the team some what, I think that giving him any kind of a big contract is not too smart. He is dead money waiting to happen because of off field issues and it will set back many of the other things the lions can do with that kind of cash.

Just MHO. Let him go to the redskinz and let them over pay for him, because you know they will.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't it seem then that while Suh is a piece of the puzzle that has lead to this improvement that the talent in the other areas has helped to make him look better? You just mentioned the secondary (Slay and Quin), the LB core (Levy, Tulloch, and perhaps even Whitehead), the DE's (Ziggy). Fairley was put next to him and was a staggering improvement over what we previously had. Even the contributions of more rotational and second tier starters like Jones, Taylor, Johnson, Mathis, etc. All of these guys are better talent than what was here before Suh. And you cant undervalue the change in scheme as well.

Refraining from any biased based argument, one would have to take into account what the stats imply. While we have upgraded talent around him, Suh is the only guy to almost single handedly take a historically bad defense to middle of the pack.

I get not overpaying for Suh. But the alternatives are a lot worse to think about. I don't want to envision Suh leaving because we didn't want to give him $17 million, and then turning around and giving Fairley a huge contract. If Suh stays or goes, I'm going to be upset with Haynesworth 2.0 getting resigned.

The team continues to fuck this one up. On top of ballooning his final year, they should have been able to get a good idea if he is leaving or not. I was ok with them passing on Donald because I was assuming maybe the Suh negotiations were progressing. Everyday I find myself leaning slightly more towards the "Ebron was a bad pick" camp.