• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steak-Cook when thawed or frozen?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The method this guy cooked the steak wasn't a way I would prefer to cook a steak.

Nor would I. In fact, I don't even see myself ever trying it.

The "science" of that process may work out in that scenario but most don't cook steak like that.

Obviously. I subscribe to Cook's Illustrated, and while I don't take what they say as gospel, there are some talented, non-biased (they have no advertisers) folks working there. I think to imply that cooking a steak this way is ridiculous just because you've never heard of it, or that most don't cook them that way is a little short sided. Things can change. Again, I'll likely never try to cook a frozen steak, but I'm not about to shit on some folks for taking a scientific approach to cooking a steak. Like I said, with sous vide cooking, you will have a 100% perfectly cooked steak every time, but to me it lacks soul. That doesn't mean the guy cooking sous vide is a moron.

Also, cooking a frozen steak like he did doesn't just retain more water but it keeps the fat from melting like a thawed steak.

I think that's debatable. That guy cooked the steak to, what, medium-rare? That's between 130-135 degrees. I assume you cook them medium rare as well. Fat melts at a certain temp (I think in that 130 degree range). If ultimately the frozen steak reaches the same temperature as an unfrozen steak, why do you think the fat would only melt from the unfrozen steak?

Fat helps transfer flavor and using the "fond" for a sauce is second to none.

No doubt. But if you're grilling a steak, there's not going to be much fond if any, unless you're planning to deglaze what you can scrape off the grill grates.

I would like to see him try that with a thicker cut of meat.

I imagine just more time in the oven. Who knows? Since I wont be cooking a frozen steak any time soon, I suppose just the knowledge that it is doable is enough for me.

So, what's your favorite kind of food to cook?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have never heard of frying a steak in a cast iron pan, and you think whether or not you take me seriously is of any consequence to me? Laughable.

Try reading the thread before posting.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Try reading the thread before posting.

Hey, that's a good tip. Thank you. Allow me to repay the favor:

Have at least an inkling of an idea of what you're talking about before you use your sausage-looking fingers to type something fucking stupid.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have at least an inkling of an idea of what you're talking about before you use your sausage-looking fingers to type something fucking stupid.

Shut yer gob!
tumblr_m3fo9vJKvp1qd8nujo1_400.gif

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How about this - learn how to grill properly so you don't fuck up and think a pan fried steak compares.

uofmarmyguy

Meat Popsicle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1"thick or more Ribeye, kosher salt, garlic and 7 minutes per side on an Infrared grill is medium rare perfection

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is anything man made that compares to flame, it is cast iron.

I will gladly eat any steak cooked in a cast iron pan.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is anything man made that compares to flame, it is cast iron.

I will gladly eat any steak cooked in a cast iron pan.

Don't tell that other guy, but:

I had an aunt that could fry steak real well, but most fried steaks aren't near as good as grilled.

But the video in the OP was talking about what was best, thus my original comment.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nor would I. In fact, I don't even see myself ever trying it.

Obviously. I subscribe to Cook's Illustrated, and while I don't take what they say as gospel, there are some talented, non-biased (they have no advertisers) folks working there. I think to imply that cooking a steak this way is ridiculous just because you've never heard of it, or that most don't cook them that way is a little short sided. Things can change. Again, I'll likely never try to cook a frozen steak, but I'm not about to shit on some folks for taking a scientific approach to cooking a steak. Like I said, with sous vide cooking, you will have a 100% perfectly cooked steak every time, but to me it lacks soul. That doesn't mean the guy cooking sous vide is a moron.

I think that's debatable. That guy cooked the steak to, what, medium-rare? That's between 130-135 degrees. I assume you cook them medium rare as well. Fat melts at a certain temp (I think in that 130 degree range). If ultimately the frozen steak reaches the same temperature as an unfrozen steak, why do you think the fat would only melt from the unfrozen steak?

No doubt. But if you're grilling a steak, there's not going to be much fond if any, unless you're planning to deglaze what you can scrape off the grill grates.

I imagine just more time in the oven. Who knows? Since I wont be cooking a frozen steak any time soon, I suppose just the knowledge that it is doable is enough for me.

So, what's your favorite kind of food to cook?

Don't really have a favorite food to cook honestly. I enjoy making sauce more than anything. I have been spoiled with industrial equipment most of my career so now I am a personal chef, with the equipment varying from house to house, what may be fairly easy in one house can be a whole different process in another. It throws me for a loop sometimes and its frustrating.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this - learn how to grill properly so you don't fuck up and think a pan fried steak compares.

Yes, because the ability to cook a great steak on a grill and the ability to cook a great steak in a pan are clearly mutually exclusive. See post #43.

Anyhow, your stupidity inspired me:

Attachments

• PoterhouseRaw.jpg
    PoterhouseRaw.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 62

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, because the ability to cook a great steak on a grill and the ability to cook a great steak in a pan are clearly mutually exclusive. See post #43.

Anyhow, your stupidity inspired me:

Just before it went into the oven. That's slab bacon, butter, garlic and oregano in the pan with it.

Attachments

• PorterhouseCooked.jpg
    PorterhouseCooked.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 64

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, the steak in those images was never frozen. In fact, it sat on that plate, on the counter for about four hours before I put it in the pan.

Fucking delicious. Thanks, 420.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grilled for years, but now I pan sear and bake.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grilled for years, but now I pan sear and bake.

Nice. I like my steaks cooked Pittsburgh rare, and it's tough to get that crust on a steak from a grill.

All and all, I do still grill steaks quite a bit more than I put them in a pan, but that steak I cooked Saturday night was ridiculously good, and the end result could not have been accomplished on a grill.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife said same thing, we both agreed - that looks burnt and very dry.

You're priceless. You really are. It seems that with each post you grow more eager to betray your ignorance, and now you've included your wife, as if to let me know that you married someone every bit as clueless as you are.

That steak, after about 10 min in a 400 degree oven, was a perfectly cooked Pittsburg rare porterhouse steak with a crust so flavorful you'd need 24 hours of marinade time to get half way there on a grill. I probably should have taken a pic once I'd cut it, but I was too busy eating the best steak you've never cooked.

I'd tell you that despite your observations, that steak was more moist than your "wife" has been since before she met you, but we all know hand puppets don't get moist, or critique steaks for that matter.

Attachments

• hand_puppet.jpg
    hand_puppet.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 50

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're priceless. You really are. It seems that with each post you grow more eager to betray your ignorance, and now you've included your wife, as if to let me know that you married someone every bit as clueless as you are.

That steak, after about 10 min in a 400 degree oven, was a perfectly cooked Pittsburg rare porterhouse steak with a crust so flavorful you'd need 24 hours of marinade time to get half way there on a grill. I probably should have taken a pic once I'd cut it, but I was too busy eating the best steak you've never cooked.

I'd tell you that despite your observations, that steak was more moist than your "wife" has been since before she met you, but we all know hand puppets don't get moist, or critique steaks for that matter.

You think a good steak needs marinade? Salt and pepper is plenty of seasoning. I don't mind the occasional marinade for a little something different, but claiming a steak lacks flavor without it is comical.

It's not my fault your steak doesn't look good and juicy. I'd be embarassed to even show that picture if I cooked it.

I hope it was better than your comebacks and insults.