• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steak-Cook when thawed or frozen?

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to this guy, you should cook steaks straight out of the freezer? My opinion is it wouldn't work too well if the steak is cut about 1" or more? I am also not a big fan of basically deep frying the steak before putting it in the oven like he did. If its not a whole ribeye, char-grill it!

Last edited by a moderator:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time taking anyone who fries or bakes a steak seriously.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man Card Status:

REVOKED

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll pan sear a tenderloin filet but certainly not frozen.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had an aunt that could fry steak real well, but most fried steaks aren't near as good as grilled.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steaks should be thawed and room temp before Grilling or Broiling.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he just stick that beautiful steak in an inch of hot grease? Who the hell would do something as horrific as fry a steak? Where'd he learn to cook? Mickey D's?!!!

If you got a chicken finger mindset please stick to chicken fingers.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to this guy, you should cook steaks straight out of the freezer? My opinion is it wouldn't work too well if the steak is cut about 1" or more? I am also not a big fan of basically deep frying the steak before putting it in the oven like he did. If its not a whole ribeye, char-grill it!

It's insane how complicated people want to make cooking a steak. It's not hard, it's not complicated, and when you try and make it look complicated you're just showing your insecurity as a cook.

It's SIMPLE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant wait to run into the 1st jackass who saw this video and tell me that is how it should be done. It WILL happen and I wont be able to do or say anything other than :L

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I grill a steak, I always worry about the muscle fibers in it...

What a bunch of hooey!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive baked, grilled and pan fried steak when frozen. When drunk/high as shit. Edible, but not ideal.

Broiled steak is very good in the winter. Especially when highly seasoned. (Slit in a little garlic... little olive oil dribbled over the top...) But the real purpose is heating the house.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant wait to run into the 1st jackass who saw this video and tell me that is how it should be done. It WILL happen and I wont be able to do or say anything other than :L

You're in the business right Gooch? How many times have you been lectured on the "right way" to do something by some puke who watches the Food Network and has never set foot in a professional kitchen?

Only cooks understand that pain.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're in the business right Gooch? How many times have you been lectured on the "right way" to do something by some puke who watches the Food Network and has never set foot in a professional kitchen?

Only cooks understand that pain.

That has happened more times than I can remember and at this point in my life, I get really pissed off about it. It really is painful to watch. Every single time it happens, I say to myself "This jackass has no idea how stupid he sounds right now." Seems like kitchens are full of these types nowadays. I don't do everything perfect but I try the best I can.

Many years ago I was looking for a Sous Chef job and I applied to this well known classy steak house that everyone was always talking about. I went through the interview with the "chef" and she offered me the job. I always ask if I can come in and observe a shift before I accept a job to ask questions and see how things are done. She agreed and so that very evening, I was in the kitchen observing. Long story short, I watched her make Mornay Sauce with Velveeta and heavy cream but the real kicker was I saw her(the chef) working the grill and cutting open every single steak that came off that grill with a paring knife to check the temp right before she plated. Prime graded beef is all they serve. She saw me watching and shrugged her shoulders and said "Well, it's the only way to know for sure."
I turned around and walked out and never looked back.

I am no Gordon Ramsey and I don't pretend to be but I have standards but any respectable kitchen would fire anyone who cuts open a steak to check the temp. Especially prime beef. Nothing like buying a very expensive filet that's bleeding out from the 2" stab wound you didn't make.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That has happened more times than I can remember and at this point in my life, I get really pissed off about it. It really is painful to watch. Every single time it happens, I say to myself "This jackass has no idea how stupid he sounds right now." Seems like kitchens are full of these types nowadays. I don't do everything perfect but I try the best I can.

Many years ago I was looking for a Sous Chef job and I applied to this well known classy steak house that everyone was always talking about. I went through the interview with the "chef" and she offered me the job. I always ask if I can come in and observe a shift before I accept a job to ask questions and see how things are done. She agreed and so that very evening, I was in the kitchen observing. Long story short, I watched her make Mornay Sauce with Velveeta and heavy cream but the real kicker was I saw her(the chef) working the grill and cutting open every single steak that came off that grill with a paring knife to check the temp right before she plated. Prime graded beef is all they serve. She saw me watching and shrugged her shoulders and said "Well, it's the only way to know for sure."
I turned around and walked out and never looked back.

I am no Gordon Ramsey and I don't pretend to be but I have standards but any respectable kitchen would fire anyone who cuts open a steak to check the temp. Especially prime beef. Nothing like buying a very expensive filet that's bleeding out from the 2" stab wound you didn't make.

Cutting into any piece of meat that hasn't rested is an unforgivable crime against nature. Temping steaks by cutting them open? Now that is bush league. I'd have walked too.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutting into any piece of meat that hasn't rested is an unforgivable crime against nature. Temping steaks by cutting them open? Now that is bush league. I'd have walked too.

To this very day, every time I see one of their billboards, I just shake my head. The worst part of it all is that place is packed almost every night. :gaah:

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the correct title for that woman Gooch would be cook not chef.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even grill my ribeyes any more.

Marinate steaks in whatever your poison is. (Daddy Hinkles for me)

Heat cast iron skillet in broiler on high for about 20 mins with just enough oil in the pan to coat the bottom.

Turn burner on high and place hot skillet on burner.

Sear ribeyes for 1' each side then place in broiler for 2' each side

Let rest (most important part) for at minimum 5 minutes.

Perfect medium rare each time.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ribeyes flame up on the grill. Prefer the cast iron for em.

Sorry romeo, but marinades on a ribeye? :nono: :laugh: jk whatever suits ya