• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steak-Cook when thawed or frozen?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To each his own. I always marinate though. It probably has a lot to do with how seasoned your cast iron skillet is.

For whatever reason, when I cooked it on the skillet, the fat didn't seem to melt like it does on a grill and it lacked that flavor. Feels like I have to add in flavor externally. I think a marinade probably would have helped that fried steak.

It seems to make people mad, but when I hear about people frying steaks I immediately think - why you no have grill? If that's what you like, more power to you. But it's odd to me is all.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to this guy, you should cook steaks straight out of the freezer? My opinion is it wouldn't work too well if the steak is cut about 1" or more? I am also not a big fan of basically deep frying the steak before putting it in the oven like he did. If its not a whole ribeye, char-grill it!

You broil or grill an aged prime steak, it has to be started cooking at room temperature.

Who cooks a quality steak frozen ?

It makes no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many bad ideas in this thread. I saw one person claim they can get better quality steaks at home than at a quality steakhouse. Something like 98% of all USDA Prime meat goes to those steakhouses, the bulk of the rest of that 2% goes to those national meat delivery companies. Very very few people get better quality meat at home than they would get at a good steakhouse.

I also saw somebody claim to leave their steaks sitting out at room temperature for 4-8 hours. Bacteria can double in 20 minutes at room temperature. The surface of a steak will go from frozen to near room temp in about 20 minutes, and even the center in about an hour. Thats doubling the bacteria population of your steak 20+ times. A single bacteria cell would multiply into the millions in that scenario. That's an awful lot of risk to take.

Now let's look and see if n it's worth the risk of letting it sit out. The argument for it is so your meat will cook more evenly... but we don't want our meat cooked evenly. The maillard reaction is what browns steaks on the outside and gives them that nice crust. That reaction doesn't even start until around 300 degrees and occurs faster/optimally at around 325 degrees. So we want to get the outside of our steaks extremely hot, but most steak lovers like their steaks to be med rare or less, which is around 130 degrees. If you want a 200 degree difference between the outside of your meat and n the inside, do you think you should prepare it in such a way that promotes even cooking, or one that requires a bigger change in the inside temp than the outside temp?

Any restaurant that you ever go to, including the highest end steakhouses you can imagine; are all going to take a steak out of the fridge or freezer and throw them straight onto the heat. They aren't going to leave steak sitting out at room temperature waiting in case somebody orders it. They aren't going to take it out of the fridge when you order and then sit around and make you wait 40 minutes to an hour before they start cooking it.

But for all of you who think the round steak you grill from Walmart is better than the Ribeye served at Mortons steakhouse, by all means keep doing what you're doing.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many bad ideas in this thread. I saw one person claim they can get better quality steaks at home than at a quality steakhouse. Something like 98% of all USDA Prime meat goes to those steakhouses, the bulk of the rest of that 2% goes to those national meat delivery companies. Very very few people get better quality meat at home than they would get at a good steakhouse.

I also saw somebody claim to leave their steaks sitting out at room temperature for 4-8 hours. Bacteria can double in 20 minutes at room temperature. The surface of a steak will go from frozen to near room temp in about 20 minutes, and even the center in about an hour. Thats doubling the bacteria population of your steak 20+ times. A single bacteria cell would multiply into the millions in that scenario. That's an awful lot of risk to take.

Now let's look and see if n it's worth the risk of letting it sit out. The argument for it is so your meat will cook more evenly... but we don't want our meat cooked evenly. The maillard reaction is what browns steaks on the outside and gives them that nice crust. That reaction doesn't even start until around 300 degrees and occurs faster/optimally at around 325 degrees. So we want to get the outside of our steaks extremely hot, but most steak lovers like their steaks to be med rare or less, which is around 130 degrees. If you want a 200 degree difference between the outside of your meat and n the inside, do you think you should prepare it in such a way that promotes even cooking, or one that requires a bigger change in the inside temp than the outside temp?

Any restaurant that you ever go to, including the highest end steakhouses you can imagine; are all going to take a steak out of the fridge or freezer and throw them straight onto the heat. They aren't going to leave steak sitting out at room temperature waiting in case somebody orders it. They aren't going to take it out of the fridge when you order and then sit around and make you wait 40 minutes to an hour before they start cooking it.
But for all of you who think the round steak you grill from Walmart is better than the Ribeye served at Mortons steakhouse, by all means keep doing what you're doing.

You are right that restaurants don't let their steaks sit out before they cook them but at home, grills are much smaller and not as hot so it really is a good idea to let a steak sit at room temp for up to an hour so it doesn't cool down your grill but 4-8 hours is ridiculous. Also, it isn't that hard to find Prime graded steaks really. I can get them at Sams Club. They are too damn expensive but also, there are cows that are graded lower than Prime that shouldn't have been. Sometimes Prime meat gets past the grading system since they grade the whole cow on a small portions of the rib meat. Therefore, on occasion you really can get a steak that's just as good as a high end restaurant for a cheaper price but its not something that happens regularly.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually had a pack of NY strips in the freezer, and was in a hurry and in the mood for steak. So I tried his exact recipe and it turned out pretty perfectly cooked. It didn't really seem greasy from the oil, but it was definitely more moist on the outside and just felt weird in my mouth. If I was ever in a bind again I wouldn't have a problem cooking it that way again, but I would need some sort of sauce, or maybe a glaze made with balsamic vinegar or something. Something to cut through the oil.

Doubt it will ever be my preferred way of doing it though.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually had a pack of NY strips in the freezer, and was in a hurry and in the mood for steak. So I tried his exact recipe and it turned out pretty perfectly cooked. It didn't really seem greasy from the oil, but it was definitely more moist on the outside and just felt weird in my mouth. If I was ever in a bind again I wouldn't have a problem cooking it that way again, but I would need some sort of sauce, or maybe a glaze made with balsamic vinegar or something. Something to cut through the oil.

Doubt it will ever be my preferred way of doing it though.

Interesting. How did you season it if it was frozen? I don't think I will ever try it that way but to each his own. I am with you on the oil part. Probably dislike that more than the steak being frozen. Would be better using some lip fat from a ribeye to cook in rather than the oil but not too practical to have beef fat on hand at any moment you need it.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hit it with salt and pepper when done cooking. The taste was fine, and it was one of the most beautiful looking steaks I have ever cooked. It's just the problem with all that oil. It's hard to describe, it didn't taste greasy like a fried burger or something. And I used canola oil which didn't really give it any flavor (too hot to use olive oil) and the actual meat juices were enough to cover it up when you bit into it. It wasn't really bad in any way, it just felt weird in my mouth in a way I didn't like. Probably because I have never had steak cooked in an eighth of an inch of oil before.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why Choose Beef Tallow? ? Granny's Vital Vittles

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=878&affId=133748

I have wanted to get some of that stuff you a couple years now. If you look into it, tons of people say it's either not bad for you or better than alternatives. I just have a sneaking suspicion that these are all people that cook like (and probably look like) Paula Deen.

But that's how McDonald's used to make their french fries, way back when people actually wanted to go to McDonald's because their fries were so good. Rather than now people only go there because they're lazy or in a hurry and just don't have time or a place to make their own food. Nobody goes to McDonald's because they like the food anymore.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why Choose Beef Tallow? ? Granny's Vital Vittles

U.S. Wellness Meats ? Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too.

I have wanted to get some of that stuff you a couple years now. If you look into it, tons of people say it's either not bad for you or better than alternatives. I just have a sneaking suspicion that these are all people that cook like (and probably look like) Paula Deen.

But that's how McDonald's used to make their french fries, way back when people actually wanted to go to McDonald's because their fries were so good. Rather than now people only go there because they're lazy or in a hurry and just don't have time or a place to make their own food. Nobody goes to McDonald's because they like the food anymore.

Beef Tallow makes everything you cook with it delicious. It's not bad for you in moderation but people expect everything else to change so they don't have to. McDonalds fries were good like you said but now, they are shit thanks to the obese that don't have enough self control to not eat it everyday. My father in law eats McDonalds every day for lunch. He had a triple bypass a couple years ago and instead of learning his lesson and eating healthy, he says he can eat what he wants now since he doesnt have any blockage anymore. Perfect example why tallow isn't used much anymore. Idiots like him are everywhere!

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The surface of a steak will go from frozen to near room temp in about 20 minutes, and even the center in about an hour.

Center of a steak from frozen to room temp in an hour? What are you cooking? Steakumms?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was me. I used to think like this before a trip to Texas years ago. A couple flights got canceled and we arrived at the ranch hours after we were supposed to. Guy had some rib-eyes that he grilled over mesquite for us. They were amazing and I asked him what he did and he said they'd been sitting out for about eight hours. Like you, I thought about bacteria and asked him if that was dangerous. He said, "maybe, but I've been eating steaks that were at room temp for eight hours since he was a kid and never got sick."

I've been leaving them out for at least four hours since and folks rave about them. Admittedly, I still get a little nervous when it starts to push 8 hours, but I have done it. Try it - leave one steak out (a real steak, not a steakumm) for four hours and set another one out for one hour and see if there's a difference.

Maybe it is risky, although I highly disagree that it's "an awful lot of risk." You're still going to get the surface (where that bacteria would be) over 160, so it's pretty safe. Then again, if I'm at a spot I trust, I'll eat steak tare tare with a raw egg, so maybe I'm just a risk taking mother fucker.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kill the bastard, wipe its ass, shave it and put it on a plate. That's how I like my motherfuckin steaks.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument for it is so your meat will cook more evenly... but we don't want our meat cooked evenly. The maillard reaction is what browns steaks on the outside and gives them that nice crust. That reaction doesn't even start until around 300 degrees and occurs faster/optimally at around 325 degrees. So we want to get the outside of our steaks extremely hot, but most steak lovers like their steaks to be med rare or less, which is around 130 degrees. If you want a 200 degree difference between the outside of your meat and n the inside, do you think you should prepare it in such a way that promotes even cooking, or one that requires a bigger change in the inside temp than the outside temp?

That's not my argument.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But, as you pointed out, they are likely getting the best beef from the best purveyors in the country. They're also often times dry- or wet-aging them, making them even more tender. Wouldn't it stand to reason that us peons buying the crap steaks might have to go to a few extra lengths to get immaculate results?

Also, for what it's worth, I wouldn't buy Cheerios from Walmart, let alone raw meat.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's up Slinky? This is Outlaw from Fannation. Long time no see.

No. Fucking. Shit! What is up, man? I hadn't seen you on FN for a while before it crapped out and wondered how you were.

I'm good. Looking forward to some games to start here soon. How about you? Might be a rough year for the Braves.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Fucking. Shit! What is up, man? I hadn't seen you on FN for a while before it crapped out and wondered how you were.

I'm good. Looking forward to some games to start here soon. How about you? Might be a rough year for the Braves.

Can't complain, just been working a lot. Snowed us out today. Roads weren't bad, but the quarry was closed.

I'm ready for games to start too. We're probably a 4th place team, but like always, I'll hold on to hope.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't complain, just been working a lot. Snowed us out today. Roads weren't bad, but the quarry was closed.

I'm ready for games to start too. We're probably a 4th place team, but like always, I'll hold on to hope.

Well, good on you, man. Hope things are good for you. I've got to scram to get some work done, but now that I know who you are, I'll keep an eye out for you. Thanks for reaching out.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shortage of experts here. I cook my steak however the fuck I feel like it. I've been on a toaster oven kick as of late but before that I was boiling them in milk for 38 hours and man was it scrumptious.