• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stanford the class of the PAC?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the Cardinal as my pick out of the PAC to go to the CFP this season...and felt really silly when they lost to Northwestern on opening day. BUT, now they are looking pretty damned stout.

Their remaining games are the washington schools then at home for Oregon, Cal, and ND. I can see them winning every one of those games.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had them as a 10-2 team before the season. After the NW game I was questioning whether they could get to that, but now I think they will get to that.

One hypothetical, say they finish 10-2(losing to NW and ND) but beat an undefeated Utah team in the Pac 12 championship game, what happens then?

Stanford would be 11-2, and would more than likely have the best SOS of any of the conference champions.

Xulu Bak

Hoopla Cash
$ 148.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on what happens elsewhere in the conference, they might not have a road win over a team with a winning record. Pretty hard to justify a 2-loss team with that hanging over them, especially since that scenario would have ND beating them in their house.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but they'd need a lot of help.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had them as a 10-2 team before the season. After the NW game I was questioning whether they could get to that, but now I think they will get to that.

One hypothetical, say they finish 10-2(losing to NW and ND) but beat an undefeated Utah team in the Pac 12 championship game, what happens then?

Stanford would be 11-2, and would more than likely have the best SOS of any of the conference champions.

Completely depends on how the rest of the country does. They would need 3 or fewer 1-loss or better teams out there to have a realistic chance.

Xulu Bak

Hoopla Cash
$ 148.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely depends on how the rest of the country does. They would need 3 or fewer 1-loss or better teams out there to have a realistic chance.

It would actually be worse than that. A two-loss SEC champ or ND would either one get in over them. Also, if Utah is undefeated, they'd still have a better record, despite the H2H loss, which would likely hurt Stanford in the selection process.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal is going to beat Stanford, maybe even beat Utah in the rematch.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would actually be worse than that. A two-loss SEC champ or ND would either one get in over them. Also, if Utah is undefeated, they'd still have a better record, despite the H2H loss, which would likely hurt Stanford in the selection process.

Assuming Stanford beats Utah in the CCG, it wouldn't matter. Stanford would get the nod as conference champs and head to head winner. A 2-loss ND would probably get in ahead, especially if they beat Stanford. SEC champ would be a tossup IMO...might depend on the name brand.

Best course of action for Stanford would be to not lose that 2nd game, haha. Then they are likely in.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both academically and athletically it appears....

Xulu Bak

Hoopla Cash
$ 148.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming Stanford beats Utah in the CCG, it wouldn't matter. Stanford would get the nod as conference champs and head to head winner. A 2-loss ND would probably get in ahead, especially if they beat Stanford. SEC champ would be a tossup IMO...might depend on the name brand.

Best course of action for Stanford would be to not lose that 2nd game, haha. Then they are likely in.

I'm not suggesting they'd put Utah in, but I think it would matter in the decision making process if it's a tossup between two or more 2-loss champs (Or ND, if they're in the mix). Also, considering how poorly the Pac-12 showed in big non-con matchups, I don't think a 2-loss Pac-12 champ vs 2-loss SEC champ is close. I could even see a 3-loss SEC champ having a chance over a 2-loss Stanford (with the second loss coming against ND).

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant figure out the PAC. UCLA looked like the class of the league and a couple injuries hit them, now they look pretty shaky. Stanford started out rough and has taken care of business. ASU looked dredful, then beat UCLA. Well, maybe that is not a big deal now. USC is jsut a mess, but still the most talented team. Utah rose on the back of a Oregon beating, only to look like a pretender vs Cal home. Starting to think the PAC is a collection of good solid teams, but nobody great. That is a great thing for PAC fans, but not for the playoffs

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant figure out the PAC. UCLA looked like the class of the league and a couple injuries hit them, now they look pretty shaky. Stanford started out rough and has taken care of business. ASU looked dredful, then beat UCLA. Well, maybe that is not a big deal now. USC is jsut a mess, but still the most talented team. Utah rose on the back of a Oregon beating, only to look like a pretender vs Cal home. Starting to think the PAC is a collection of good solid teams, but nobody great. That is a great thing for PAC fans, but not for the playoffs

I feel like that's the story for all of college football this year. A number of solid teams but no one that stands out.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the Cardinal as my pick out of the PAC to go to the CFP this season...and felt really silly when they lost to Northwestern on opening day. BUT, now they are looking pretty damned stout.

Their remaining games are the washington schools then at home for Oregon, Cal, and ND. I can see them winning every one of those games.
I can't figure out how that team lost to Northwestern....

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't figure out how that team lost to Northwestern....

early kickoff and the timezone shift are the only reasons i can think of...plus the first game of the year is normally a shit show.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will be Utah and Stanford in the CCG. Then we will see who is the best.
I agree you have to give Utah credit. I knew they would be a very talented team before the season. But the Utes have surpassed expectations. At the moment both teams are the cream of the PAC. Cal should have had Utah tho if not for some bad choices by Goff. But I give a slight edge to Utah until they lose a game

Xulu Bak

Hoopla Cash
$ 148.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
early kickoff and the timezone shift are the only reasons i can think of...plus the first game of the year is normally a shit show.

NW wasn't on anyone's radar at that point either. So maybe Stanford didn't take them seriously enough, NW played better without the pressure of expectation, or a little of both.