• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should HB be in the D League?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you the self-appointed spelling sheriff 'round these parts? As I don't see you doing this with everyone (thank goodness), I'll assume that I have somehow made you feel "less than" at some point around here. If so, my apologies for hurting your feelings.

Nah, you haven't offended me in the slightest. I enjoy our posts, as a matter of fact, because you seem very knowledgeable but not full of yourself.

Its just kind of a joke thing I do with the grammar. I meant no harm. Carry on and I won't bother you again.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's our Foolsense, what he lacks as a logician he tries to make up for as a grammarian.

Now this clown does offend me. He's always been a turd in the punch bowl and I love to make him look like a fool.

_so_money_

Dubmaster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's basically turning into the SF version of Anthony Randolph. Only worse because Barnes was a much higher draft pick. Athleticism that somehow doesn't translate well into actual NBA skills. Indecisiveness and poor vision and coordination when being aggressive, alternating with long bouts of extreme passivity. Whenever there is some choice to be made (Do I go left or right? Do I pump fake or go up strong? Switch the guy I'm defending or go through a screen?), which is basically constantly in basketball, he seems to pick the wrong one. I think Barnes could improve somewhat and make better decisions, but I don't ever see him being a star player, he just doesn't have the killer instinct for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's basically turning into the SF version of Anthony Randolph. Only worse because Barnes was a much higher draft pick. Athleticism that somehow doesn't translate well into actual NBA skills. Indecisiveness and poor vision and coordination when being aggressive, alternating with long bouts of extreme passivity. Whenever there is some choice to be made (Do I go left or right? Do I pump fake or go up strong? Switch the guy I'm defending or go through a screen?), which is basically constantly in basketball, he seems to pick the wrong one. I think Barnes could improve somewhat and make better decisions, but I don't ever see him being a star player, he just doesn't have the killer instinct for it.

For many folks, the game "slows down" with more experience, it seems like when HB is on the court now, he's just rushing things, and forcing it when there's a better "basketball play" to be made.

Case in point :

1) On a fast break tonight, he goes 100mph to the rim, and misses horribly, as Barnett pointed out, if he just slowed down and collected himself, he could have rose up and finished strongly

2) On a drive and kick HB received a bad pass on the wing, and instead of passing the ball to a better shooter, he forces a 3pt, which he missed.

I don't know if it was the preseason injury, last year's concussion, but something isn't right with HB this year.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are players that turn the corner and sometimes it takes a while. Barnes is thinking the game whereas the the NBA game is played at wharp speed where you need instincts not an intellectual approach. HB can still be a player but it's going to take a different approach and maybe a different team.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Money, I saw Anthony Randolph the other day. Played like a man who has little clue. The game is going on, doing it's thing and then there's AR doing his thing. Barnes has upside but I think it's elsewhere. Maybe Chi, maybe the Knicks who knows? Some other team will give him a chance because he does have skills but has not the ability yet to use those skills in a meaningful way. At best he might be Trevor Ariza with bigger feet.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Fitzgerald say during the San Antonio game that Branes had two points in his last 70 minutes on the court. That qualifies as a bona fide slump.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Fitzgerald say during the San Antonio game that Branes had two points in his last 70 minutes on the court. That qualifies as a bona fide slump.

Who's Branes, and what team does he play for?

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnes is an interesting player. He seems to play well when he's ticked off (the majority of people aren't this way). He's a nice, smart kid that overthinks things, but when he gets emotional, he plays well, because he stops overthinking.

He reminds me of myself a bit. What I used to do is force myself to get into a back and forth with someone. Create an on-the-court persona and leave it there. Talk a bit of smack to the guy you're guarding, and perhaps even throw a cheap hip check or a hard (not dirty) foul or 2 just to get the other guy upset and playing hard.

He stepped up in the playoffs last year playing up at the 4 for a couple of reasons. 1, his handles weren't as big of a weakness against 4s, and 2 he got into an emotional series with Denver.

I don't think it's too late for him, but if he can't figure out how to get focused and motivated on gameday, he's going to have a hard time finding a spot in this league.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's Branes, and what team does he play for?

He's a wing player for the Mallorca Colon Cranial Inspectors, Toolish Foolsense is the fan club's president.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this derailed fast....

mylie10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would tell Barnes to look for contact when driving I ng now and don't worry about finishing.....he is gonna break a back board.

Move the ball and look for the better shot. His shot is so flat right now....this off season he really needs to work on that arc.

I feel like the fall he took in last year's playoffs has him all scurried about going up hard.

All in all I'd look to deal him at draft time for a mid to late lottery pick, or for a solid veteran. I think other gems around the league will feel like they could get Barnes on track and that he may have more upside than some of the guys in the draft.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would tell Barnes to look for contact when driving I ng now and don't worry about finishing.....he is gonna break a back board.

Move the ball and look for the better shot. His shot is so flat right now....this off season he really needs to work on that arc.

I feel like the fall he took in last year's playoffs has him all scurried about going up hard.

All in all I'd look to deal him at draft time for a mid to late lottery pick, or for a solid veteran. I think other gems around the league will feel like they could get Barnes on track and that he may have more upside than some of the guys in the draft.

I think his greatest value in trade is being the piece needed to be able to move David Lee's contract and upgrade that position with one more stud player. That is probably the piece this team needs to truly contend.
Lee is a good scorer but not a 'stud', and a defensive liability, barely adequate at best.

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his greatest value in trade is being the piece needed to be able to move David Lee's contract and upgrade that position with one more stud player. That is probably the piece this team needs to truly contend.
Lee is a good scorer but not a 'stud', and a defensive liability, barely adequate at best.

I think this is spot on. The Lee & Barnes for Love talk is a dream, but I think they can make it happen.

You can fill HBarnes' minutes in with a vet-minimum player. Someone like Matt Barnes can do what he does for this team on the cheap.