• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sharks acquire Ben Eager for 5th rounder

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a soon to be UFA. Adds toughness to a bottom 6 that didn't score so might as well be tough.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good trade, that would give the sharks 4 lines for the first time on, 3 years

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*yawn*

No reason whatsoever to trade for THIS guy of all people.

Dougie strikes again with another signing that makes no sense.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*yawn*

No reason whatsoever to trade for THIS guy of all people.

Dougie strikes again with another signing that makes no sense.

Yup, I am not so eager for Eager. Who goes? Mashinter and the line of other Worchester stiffs like McCarthy, McClaren they have tried?

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DP says:

"The Sharks are also reassigning Andrew Desjardins, Brandon Mashinter and Justin Braun to Worcester."

And they may or may not be over the cap with signing these two (too lazy to check the numbers) so someone might go on the IR (Clowe?)...

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Mashinter but I think he needs a little more time before he is ready for full time duty. I don't mind Eager at all. In the WCF last year he would come at the Sharks forwards and they would get rid of the puck because they knew they were going to get hit. It helped distupt the offense a bit. It's not a blockbuster trade but you're high if you think that is going to happen.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yep... 3 guys sent down: mash, desjardins, and braun (whose demotion is likely related more to just getting him more ice than anything else).

I dont see a big downside here. Eager's salary is about 300k more than his replacement but halfway through the season, that's functionally a 150k cap hit greater than his replacement. The 5th rounder is not a huge deal... maybe 10 or 15% ever make it to the NHL and even fewer become impact players (1 or 2 out of 30). It's not a huge game changer, but I'd rather have eager than, say, desjardins.

The sharks also need the 4th line to eat more than 5 minutes/game. Eager averaged 12 mins with atlanta and 8:30 with chicago, so he should be good for 10 solid minutes to give the top guys a better rest and to pop in a few. All the recent worcester callups combined (mclaren, desjardins, mashinter, wingels.) have played 27 games and combined for a grand total of zero points and -2 averaging just over 5 mins/ game. Clearly Eager is a significant upgrade over those guys both in toughness and offensively (and defensively probably too). It's hard to consider a bad deal and hey, the guy has a cup and more cups can't hurt.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Mashinter but I think he needs a little more time before he is ready for full time duty. I don't mind Eager at all. In the WCF last year he would come at the Sharks forwards and they would get rid of the puck because they knew they were going to get hit. It helped distupt the offense a bit. It's not a blockbuster trade but you're high if you think that is going to happen.

I'm not hoping for a blockbuster deal but I was hoping he'd just stay put... for at least a few more games so he can gauge if the team is really going to pull their collective heads out of their asses here.

Two wins in a row are nice but what happens if they get blown out again in Vancouver on Thursday?

What do you need Eager and Wellwood for?

I'm not hating on Dougie just because I don't like him... I just don't see much point to these two moves, sorry. Unless they're part of a bigger upcoming move, which I doubt but like filo says, I'm always wrong so you never know.. :p

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not hoping for a blockbuster deal but I was hoping he'd just stay put... for at least a few more games so he can gauge if the team is really going to pull their collective heads out of their asses here.

Two wins in a row are nice but what happens if they get blown out again in Vancouver on Thursday?

What do you need Eager and Wellwood for?

I'm not hating on Dougie just because I don't like him... I just don't see much point to these two moves, sorry. Unless they're part of a bigger upcoming move, which I doubt but like filo says, I'm always wrong so you never know.. :p

What's the downside of these two moves? Wellwood is on a two-way deal for 650 k, so he costs the same as a worcester call up. Eager costs functionally 150k more, but is definitely better than any of the call-ups. As such dougie added eager and wellwood for 150k in cap space and a 5th rounder. With eager, you know what you got: a guy who adds a toughness that the sharks clearly lacked (and was pointed out regularly here) and can score a bit. With Wellwood, you could get a dud who is poor defensively and not trustworthy, or you could have the all important 3rd line scorer who can put in 15+ goals/year which would obviously be way better than mitchell and replace much of the offensive production that disappeared with the departure of manny. If wellwood becomes the former, then plop him in worcester and you are no worse for the wear. if the latter, then its a huge bonus... Either way, the worst case scenario is that dougie wasted a 5th rounder. Not a huge downside here...

sharksfan1135

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think they are both good pick up over the woosta player playing here. I liked Macinster but one more year in AHL and more playing time for him there will do wonders for him maybe next season.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i think they are both good pick up over the woosta player playing here. I liked Macinster but one more year in AHL and more playing time for him there will do wonders for him maybe next season.

yeah, mash wasnt ready. he was a bit slow and lost out there, and definitely didn't look like an NHLer. he's still young, and hopefully he can turn into a clowe-like guy, but he's not ready yet and would be better served in a top 6 role in worcester. Desjardins is just not NHL material. Braun will likely be an NHLer full time next year, but he would also be better served playing 20+ mins/night in worcester than relegated to a #7 dman in the NHL.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WE STILL NEED DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!But I do like the moves. Still not gonna make we watch though.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I dont think anyone sees this move as solving the team's issues. The bottom 6 and socring depth was an issue and this helps a bit there. However, noone's eyes are distracted from the glaring hole on D. Dougie isnt gunna say "see, look at what I did to help the team." He knows the issues that still exist and I'm sure he's still working on it. he can only do what is available and he doesnt want to sacrifice the next 3 years for a run this year. Top dmen are rare and hard to acquire, and dougie is very patient, so we'll see what happens. Somehow, though, I dont see him being satisfied with those two moves and content to sit pretty.

sharksfan1135

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
with Nichol suspended for 4 games, clowe out, i think these are moves made to compete right now. These are desparation moves and i think these players will be moved for a D.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
it solves a huge problem actually, 3 and 4 lines have been averaging less then 10 minutes a night. You can't have that and succeed longterm.

now he can target a single puck moving dman and.they would be fine

sharksfan1135

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Vancouver loved Wellwood so he may be going to Vancouver later for Bieksa or Sami Salo.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the downside of these two moves? Wellwood is on a two-way deal for 650 k, so he costs the same as a worcester call up. Eager costs functionally 150k more, but is definitely better than any of the call-ups. As such dougie added eager and wellwood for 150k in cap space and a 5th rounder. With eager, you know what you got: a guy who adds a toughness that the sharks clearly lacked (and was pointed out regularly here) and can score a bit. With Wellwood, you could get a dud who is poor defensively and not trustworthy, or you could have the all important 3rd line scorer who can put in 15+ goals/year which would obviously be way better than mitchell and replace much of the offensive production that disappeared with the departure of manny. If wellwood becomes the former, then plop him in worcester and you are no worse for the wear. if the latter, then its a huge bonus... Either way, the worst case scenario is that dougie wasted a 5th rounder. Not a huge downside here...

Eager, I kind of get... but Wellwood, I don't really... There are (good) reasons so many teams passed on him so many times... He won't become anything great... or mediocre.

This is not the right time or team to give underachieving lazy people second chances, IMO.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like the fact eager is in a hurray to make his first practice.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eager, I kind of get... but Wellwood, I don't really... There are (good) reasons so many teams passed on him so many times... He won't become anything great... or mediocre.

This is not the right time or team to give underachieving lazy people second chances, IMO.

Yeah, the Eager move makes sence. Especially with the precieved non-retaliation after the Couture hit. If he can cut way down on the stupid penalties he makes a good addition to the 4th line.

The Wellwood claim makes no sense though unless there is something else in the works, hopefully a move for a dman. There's been some talk about the availability of Brent Seabrook reciently. Who knows.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, the Eager move makes sence. Especially with the precieved non-retaliation after the Couture hit. If he can cut way down on the stupid penalties he makes a good addition to the 4th line.

The Wellwood claim makes no sense though unless there is something else in the works, hopefully a move for a dman. There's been some talk about the availability of Brent Seabrook reciently. Who knows.

Just to add to the last part of this and because I know Filo will jump all over it. From sportswebben

Roughly translated it says Weber wants a shot to win and doesn't think he'll get that if he stays in Nashville with their budget.