• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Serious question for Lakers fans

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'Antoni's system should make for an entertaining, high-scoring season that will most likely end in a lottery pick instead of a playoff appearance this year. That is a decent trade-off, since this roster is not a true contender as constituted. The team will at least be entertaining, if terrible defensively, while still keeping the Lakers' (slim) hopes of a high lottery pick intact.

I don't expect D'Antoni back next year. The Lakers will likely start fresh with a new coach to go with their new roster.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree shopson67. I think the Lakers year will unfold as you've stated but I also think that we may surprise ourselves and some others. I am not counting out these new Lakers just yet!

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I concur Geneh_33. I like your avi. That was bad ass car back-in-the day especially that 340, six pack. When they shoe-horned the 440 magnum into that thing, what a bullet. But the 340 was a badass engine in it own right.

Yeah, that was my first car, except mine was jacked up in the back. Those were the days.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Chrysler was forever putting real tiny, soft shocks with those leaf springs on those cars and the handling suffered. We all thought the second coming had come along when Gabriel introduced air shocks. My, oh my, everyone had the ass end of their cars jacked to the sky. You put a pair of Gabriel's on that car along with some traction bars and beefed the front ends, and that car was one helluva a machine.

I used to go to the track to watch Ronnie Sox drive the famous Sox and Martin's Cudas. He brought out one of those Dusters with the original 426 hemi in it one year and I was hooked. I owned a 1969 Dodge Charger with a 440 magnum and it was fast. I'll take the new stuff though because now the speed is awesome without all of that carburetor work.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Chrysler was forever putting real tiny, soft shocks with those leaf springs on those cars and the handling suffered. We all thought the second coming had come along when Gabriel introduced air shocks. My, oh my, everyone had the ass end of their cars jacked to the sky. You put a pair of Gabriel's on that car along with some traction bars and beefed the front ends, and that car was one helluva a machine.

I used to go to the track to watch Ronnie Sox drive the famous Sox and Martin's Cudas. He brought out one of those Dusters with the original 426 hemi in it one year and I was hooked. I owned a 1969 Dodge Charger with a 440 magnum and it was fast. I'll take the new stuff though because now the speed is awesome without all of that carburetor work.

In my teenage days (MANY years ago) I used to hang out with this guy I worked with who had a Chevy Nova bored out with a 400 stock engine in it. We used to race it on South Cobb Drive every Friday night. We only lost once to some guy with a turbo charged something or other.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turbos back then were a novelty for the common dude, who like your friend, was just doing things like boring engines out to get more HP. Now pistons and cylinder design is so advanced that boring is no longer required. The engines come with the total package. All you do now is change chips or the code on the chips to incorporate any a number of modifications. Times have changed but your story brings back a host of memories.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

since you guys know so much about cars how about some insight on an old Honda Accord? my son wanted to sell it to me, but i've never owned a Japanese car(ok, not one with a Japanese name. they tell me most cars come from there now). anyways, since i'm not mechanically inclined i kinda wanna know what i'm getting myself into...

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
since you guys know so much about cars how about some insight on an old Honda Accord? my son wanted to sell it to me, but i've never owned a Japanese car(ok, not one with a Japanese name. they tell me most cars come from there now). anyways, since i'm not mechanically inclined i kinda wanna know what i'm getting myself into...

Accords are some of the best cars made. They last forever. How many miles are on it and what year is it? Stick or auto?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ashamed to say I know nothing about cars as well lol. I bought an automatic 2004 Honda Accord with 113,000 miles on it about 2 months ago.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Accords are some of the best cars made. They last forever. How many miles are on it and what year is it? Stick or auto?

'97 i believe? auto. says mostly everything under the hood's been replaced or upgraded. has said the radiator needs replacing, plus 1 motor mount...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey CL67. Geneh_33 is right. Honda Accords are notorious for longevity and gas mileage performance with excellent engine performance to boot. I frequent the auto auctions here in Phoenix and have been a motorhead most of my life and if properly maintained, these cars last forever. I routinely see them with 175, 220, 240,000 miles on them. The older (pre-1990's) cars have a tendency to be garbage but I have owned 1992-1997 Accords and again they are high longevity vehicles with great gas mileage.

However, the fact that this car has had "nearly everything" under the hood replaced suggests that it has been maintained less than optimally. How many miles on the car? Then again, if indeed things have been replaced as claimed, you have a near-new. But I'd get receipts because people use that phrase a lot and are actually B-essing you to death.

I keep a file of receipts of repairs, etc on every car I own and when I sell it, the file goes with. So, I'd do a little more research before I plunked down any cash. But generally speaking with this car, geneh_33 is spot on! FYI, not all cars these days come out of Japan. Many more are coming out of Germany and Korea.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey CL67. Geneh_33 is right. Honda Accords are notorious for longevity and gas mileage performance with excellent engine performance to boot. I frequent the auto auctions here in Phoenix and have been a motorhead most of my life and if properly maintained, these cars last forever. I routinely see them with 175, 220, 240,000 miles on them. The older (pre-1990's) cars have a tendency to be garbage but I have owned 1992-1997 Accords and again they are high longevity vehicles with great gas mileage.

However, the fact that this car has had "nearly everything" under the hood replaced suggests that it has been maintained less than optimally. How many miles on the car? Then again, if indeed things have been replaced as claimed, you have a near-new. But I'd get receipts because people use that phrase a lot and are actually B-essing you to death.

I keep a file of receipts of repairs, etc on every car I own and when I sell it, the file goes with. So, I'd do a little more research before I plunked down any cash. But generally speaking with this car, geneh_33 is spot on! FYI, not all cars these days come out of Japan. Many more are coming out of Germany and Korea.

well, it IS my kid, so i doubt he'll stiff me. 'sides, i know where he lives lol. but just based on looks alone it seems like it's been well taken care of. still, the receipts for any maintainance does seem like a good idea. thanks for the tips, you guys...

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a 2005 Accord with about 105,000 miles on it. I haven't had any major issues with it yet. I keep up on the maintenance. It drives nicely and gets great gas mileage. I'm tall and it doesn't feel like I have to cram myself into it. Accords are pretty plain Jane, but very reliable.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you CL67. Yep Lakersrule, these Hondas are just all-around quality wheels and the gas mileage is legendary even with advanced miles. So yea, I have owned them as I have had many cars and they are right up there with anything German these days in reliability, performance, fuel economy, durability, and resale value.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a 2005 Accord with about 105,000 miles on it. I haven't had any major issues with it yet. I keep up on the maintenance. It drives nicely and gets great gas mileage. I'm tall and it doesn't feel like I have to cram myself into it. Accords are pretty plain Jane, but very reliable.

Take good care of it, oil changes every 3 mo. or 3000 miles, whichever comes first, and it should last you many years. Accords have been known to get as many as 300,000 mi. on them. That's why they're not cheap.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, it IS my kid, so i doubt he'll stiff me. 'sides, i know where he lives lol. but just based on looks alone it seems like it's been well taken care of. still, the receipts for any maintainance does seem like a good idea. thanks for the tips, you guys...

I used to be in the used car business with my wife and bro-in-law, we owned a car lot. Well, we owned the cars sitting on it, anyway.

Honda Accords sell the best by far, even with well over 200,000 mi. on them. But they are not cheap. Toyotas are excellent too and most get over 200,000 mi. as well.

Just take good care of her and she'll take good care of you. Unless you wreck her, can't help you there. :suds:

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the history info geneh_33. I am a motorhead and have been all my life. When this teaching gig dies, I am heading to my next best passion-cars. Might even open up a dealership lot here in Phoenix. I never tire of them and motorcycles which I have ridden since I was 12. Gotta love going from point a to point b AFAP!!!