• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks coaching options

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they hire that hack, Quinn, I'm done. Why he gets so much praise boggles my mind. The only thing he will establish is more of the same shit we've dealt with the past several seasons.
Same here... Quinn is the least desirable candidate for me right now...

I'll be very surprised if we don't go with an offensive minded HC...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ben johnson is #1. bobby slowik is #2.

if we insist on going defense, mike macdonald is the only real option I can see.

anyone else will be a disappointment in my mind.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ben johnson is #1. bobby slowik is #2.

if we insist on going defense, mike macdonald is the only real option I can see.

anyone else will be a disappointment in my mind.
The problem is those are the 3 hottest names among the coordinators. So we will be competing with the other teams and that might be tough

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is those are the 3 hottest names among the coordinators. So we will be competing with the other teams and that might be tough
for sure, but it helps that most of the competition have shit for ownership that are prone to knee jerk firings.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here... Quinn is the least desirable candidate for me right now...

I'll be very surprised if we don't go with an offensive minded HC...
I don’t want Quinn either, liked him as our D coordinator, just don’t want him as our head coach …

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seem to hear more and more about Mike Vrabel being the inside favorite to be our next HC.

Not sure if he jibes with John's stated goal of "positive energy" but that is the name being bandied about a lot, despite the Hawks not having any known meetings with him.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of 30-somethings on the list of popular candidates and interviewees. We've seen more of that in recent years, but that's awfully young to be an NFL head coach. It makes me think of the Peter Principle and also wonder if the NFL hasn't fallen into a habit of elevating these coordinators a bit too soon.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nto until thursew HC hired? Scary thought considering they only interviewed a few possibilities and if they do announce a new HC I would guess Quinn is the hire. Hard to get excited about a hire like that, well unless yout ticked off that is.
according to reports,quinn is,nt being talked till thursday.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good rundown of coaching options, sort of long but worth the watch.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seem to hear more and more about Mike Vrabel being the inside favorite to be our next HC.

Not sure if he jibes with John's stated goal of "positive energy" but that is the name being bandied about a lot, despite the Hawks not having any known meetings with him.
Yeah some media sources like Greg Bell is making him the favorite. Apparently him and John are friends and he's let it be known he wants the job.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah some media sources like Greg Bell is making him the favorite. Apparently him and John are friends and he's let it be known he wants the job.

I would be fine with Vrabel. He elevated a fairly average Titans for a bunch of seasons.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question.....

Why does everyone want a Offensive coach?
Mike Salk was talking about this yesterday with Brock. The bottom line thinking on the advantage of hiring an up-and-coming OC to be a HC vs a DC is that the way of the NFL is now leaning so hard toward offense that if you have a bright-mind OC then it's just a matter of time before they get hired away. So you put the offensive guy in at HC, and that insulates you from that eventuality. If you hire the DC to be the HC, then you also have to get the right offensive mind to be the OC, and then you'll be back at that same place in 2 or 3 years if they are successful.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobby Slowik is 36 and has been an OC in the NFL for 1 season.
Mike Macdonald is 36 and has been a DC in the NFL for 2 seasons.
Ben Johnson is 37 and has been an OC in the NFL for 2 seasons.
Press Taylor is 36 and has been an OC in the NFL for 2 seasons.

I see massive risk here. Much like how RW's success preceded shorter QBs like Kyler Murray, Bryce Young, and Baker Mayfield being drafted 1st overall, the largely unprecedented success of Sean McVay may be working to prematurely elevate these young coordinators to HC jobs. Buyer beware.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be fine with Vrabel. He elevated a fairly average Titans for a bunch of seasons.
I won't hate it. Ben Johnson looks like a long shot and not likely to happen, Slowik would be interesting and looks like a top offensive coordinator but not a long resume but has that personality, character that would fit the culture according to reports. Vrabel has the experience and record, although he would need a really good OC.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our next HC needs to be the best Leader of Men of those who are available and willing to come to Seattle. If we just hire the best coordinator, we're setting ourselves up for a fall. Anyone else watch the in-season Hard Knocks on the Miami Dolphins? Mike McDaniel just looks and acts like a coordinator to me, not a HC. He doesn't impress me as a leader of men. He looks unnatural up in front of the team, and it often appears he's trying too hard to fit the role. Nowhere close to what I see with Sean McVay.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobby Slowik is 36 and has been an OC in the NFL for 1 season.
Mike Macdonald is 36 and has been a DC in the NFL for 2 seasons.
Ben Johnson is 37 and has been an OC in the NFL for 2 seasons.
Press Taylor is 36 and has been an OC in the NFL for 2 seasons.

I see massive risk here. Much like how RW's success preceded shorter QBs like Kyler Murray, Bryce Young, and Baker Mayfield being drafted 1st overall, the largely unprecedented success of Sean McVay may be working to prematurely elevate these young coordinators to HC jobs. Buyer beware.
You run the risk of the Peter Principle who ever you hire. Seems like a trend to hire upcoming young minds. Mike McDaniels was 38, Zac Taylor was 36 when hired as HC, Kevin O'Connel, Demeco Ryan, Kevin Stefanski all in their 30's when hired as HC I think. Heck John Harbaugh wasn't even a coordinator but a special teams coach when hired as HC. Definitely is a ton of risk with this hire because the Seahawks are at a crossroads after a decade plus of the Pete Era, what happens next is mega important, obvious the desire is for continued success but new HC hires have more failures then successes.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You run the risk of the Peter Principle who ever you hire.
I disagree. Jim Harbaugh, Mike Vrabel, and Dan Quinn are all proven HC commodities WAY more so than these young coordinators who have never held the job. You may not want some or all of those 3 names, which is fine, but they have previous success as a HC and we know they are at the very least competent in that job.

Seems like a trend to hire upcoming young minds.
Yeah, I've acknowledged that.

Mike McDaniels was 38, Zac Taylor was 36 when hired as HC, Kevin O'Connel, Demeco Ryan, Kevin Stefanski all in their 30's when hired as HC I think. Heck John Harbaugh wasn't even a coordinator but a special teams coach when hired as HC. Definitely is a ton of risk with this hire because the Seahawks are at a crossroads after a decade plus of the Pete Era, what happens next is mega important, obvious the desire is for continued success but new HC hires have more failures then successes.
I do agree this is an important decision. And that's why I think it's imperative to mitigate the risk. Hiring the proven leader carries much less risk, in my view, than a 30-something 1 or 2 year coordinator. Get Harbaugh if you can, but if he is not interested then my pref is still Vrabel.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Jim Harbaugh, Mike Vrabel, and Dan Quinn are all proven HC commodities WAY more so than these young coordinators who have never held the job. You may not want some or all of those 3 names, which is fine, but they have previous success as a HC and we know they are at the very least competent in that job.

Yeah, I've acknowledged that.

I do agree this is an important decision. And that's why I think it's imperative to mitigate the risk. Hiring the proven leader carries much less risk, in my view, than a 30-something 1 or 2 year coordinator. Get Harbaugh if you can, but if he is not interested then my pref is still Vrabel.
I'm not against retreads per say, after all Pete was a retread as was BB, Reid, McCarty, Bowles, Sean Payton, Doug Pederson and so on, but plenty of retreads have fallen flat also. I also see the attraction to grabbing a rising star early in a career. So much was made about Pete's age and many here have expressed the desire for someone more in tune with today's modern offense, a younger mind who install a offense that would create mismatches, scheme players open and yada yada.
Think after letting a storied HC go it's also important to hire someone that will get folks excited ( Something that Quinn won't do) but not at the expense of success. Also think who ever they hire they want a good working relationship with the GM so as not to repeat the experience between Holgrem and Ruskell ( This is where Jim Harbaugh may fall short and perhaps Vrabel).

Last edited:
Reactions: JMR