• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks coaching options

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joel klatt has us taking mccarthy at 16, seems convinced the MacDonald harbaugh connection seals the deal

I would be jumping on the couch like Tom Cruise.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a early first round QB and his SIZE was the ONLY reason Wilson dropped into the 3rd. Skill wise he was top 3 RG III Luck and Wilson. All Wilson didn't have was the 6 foot plus frame that teams want, he was 5 foot 10, thats all that was wrong with him and the ONLY reason he lasted till the 3rd. He would have NEVER lasted till the 4th or 5th and had he been 6 foot 2 he very well could have been the #1 QB taken.

We could speculate the "what if" if RW was 6 foot 4 but the reality is he was short and the coaching staff was able to effectively create good gameplanning for him. Also looking at what he did in Denver under two different coaches tells me he probably would have been destined to be a back up QB if he was not drafted by the Seahawks. What we saw in Denver is more true to what he really is as a QB then what the Hawks coaching staff was able to do. I think RW's future in the NFL is pretty grime but we will see what his next team will do with him.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could speculate the "what if" if RW was 6 foot 4 but the reality is he was short and the coaching staff was able to effectively create good gameplanning for him. Also looking at what he did in Denver under two different coaches tells me he probably would have been destined to be a back up QB if he was not drafted by the Seahawks. What we saw in Denver is more true to what he really is as a QB then what the Hawks coaching staff was able to do. I think RW's future in the NFL is pretty grime but we will see what his next team will do with him.

I mean, that's a claim you can make, but that would assume that the entirety of Denver's issues were entirely based on Russell Wilson and his ability to play QB, which is a claim I personally wouldn't make. Denver has been one of the most messed up situations the last 2 seasons and there are plenty who want to blame that entirely on Russell, but QB hasn't been the problem in Denver.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle got lucky Russ fell in the third round. Andy Reid was ready to pull the trigger in the 2nd round but passed thinking he'd fall to them in the 3rd round cause they didn't have inklings of any team wanting Russ in front of them. He would have been a starter in Philly and would have been good their like he was here. Russ in Denver is the tail end of his career.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a great hire. I like that Macdonald is surrounding himself with experience at some of these positions to really help guide him. He may be a genius, but in your mid 30s you still have something to learn. Polamalu has been around this league forever, and put up some DAMN good rushing attacks. I mean he made Jacobs on the Raiders an all pro lol. I think this guy coupled with Huff is going to turn Walker/Charbs into quite a scare for opposing defenses.

I do think we need to draft a guard or two this draft though. I wouldn't mind seeing Oluwatimi start. I was hoping he'd start in the later games last year when it was obvious we weren't going anywhere.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Disagree on that. Wilson had two big things going for him when he was drafted. A cannon arm and his legs/ability to extend plays. That was his signature in Seattle and I don't know how quickly some of you forget, but he made amazing improv plays early on his career and for quite some time had the best deep ball in the NFL (yep, better than Rodgers).

When he was traded to Denver 1) He was starting to lose his mobility (hell he got fatter), 2) wanted to be a pocket passer (mentality changed), and 3) his arm started to lose it's luster thanks to that finger injury which he tried to rush back from.

He was nowhere near the player he was when he was in his Seattle prime years when Denver acquired him... I have numerous posts (at the time of the trade) saying it wasn't that great for the Broncos and Seattle won the trade, and all the sites saying Denver was bound for the Super Bowl and Seattle got fleeced were, to put it bluntly, retarded. Everyone that's watched the Seahawks over the years routinely understood this.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree on that. Wilson had two big things going for him when he was drafted. A cannon arm and his legs/ability to extend plays. That was his signature in Seattle and I don't know how quickly some of you forget, but he made amazing improv plays early on his career and for quite some time had the best deep ball in the NFL (yep, better than Rodgers).

When he was traded to Denver 1) He was starting to lose his mobility (hell he got fatter), 2) wanted to be a pocket passer (mentality changed), and 3) his arm started to lose it's luster thanks to that finger injury which he tried to rush back from.

He was nowhere near the player he was when he was in his Seattle prime years when Denver acquired him... I have numerous posts (at the time of the trade) saying it wasn't that great for the Broncos and Seattle won the trade, and all the sites saying Denver was bound for the Super Bowl and Seattle got fleeced were, to put it bluntly, retarded. Everyone that's watched the Seahawks over the years routinely understood this.

Yeah that finger injury really hurt him. I told you guys that i heard he had no feeling in the tip of his finger because of nerve damage. If thats true and it's permanent he will never be the QB he was thats the finger that guides the ball and puts the RPMs on it as its the last finger to touch the ball when throwing.

Wilson is a smart QB that can read a defense and make pre snap adjustments but he cant see the short middle of the field well. He was so very stupid to start throwing 3 days after surgery, that was a VERY bad move.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that finger injury really hurt him. I told you guys that i heard he had no feeling in the tip of his finger because of nerve damage. If thats true and it's permanent he will never be the QB he was thats the finger that guides the ball and puts the RPMs on it as its the last finger to touch the ball when throwing.

Wilson is a smart QB that can read a defense and make pre snap adjustments but he cant see the short middle of the field well. He was so very stupid to start throwing 3 days after surgery, that was a VERY bad move.

I don't mean any disrespect on this, but Wilson is one of the worst pre-read QBs in the NFL. He survived because of his legs and a great arm. The processing power of Wilson in regards to pre snap reading is of a Pentium II chip.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean any disrespect on this, but Wilson is one of the worst pre-read QBs in the NFL. He survived because of his legs and a great arm. The processing power of Wilson in regards to pre snap reading is of a Pentium II chip.

Dont know why you would say that because it's untrue. If Wilson was that bad then Geno is on a Casio watch from the 60's. Hawks under Pete have two calls every play. The original play and the alert. Always one is a run the other is a pass thats how Pete wanted to do it. Per read Wilson would run the call or change and alert to the other at the LoS and He often would change plays. It really is a shame that people sour on Wilson because of how it ended and ignore the greatness he had here. Yeah he went all Hollywood and checked out but the Kid was great one of the greatest to do it in a Hawks Uniform at QB.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont know why you would say that because it's untrue. If Wilson was that bad then Geno is on a Casio watch from the 60's. Hawks under Pete have two calls every play. The original play and the alert. Always one is a run the other is a pass thats how Pete wanted to do it. Per read Wilson would run the call or change and alert to the other at the LoS and He often would change plays. It really is a shame that people sour on Wilson because of how it ended and ignore the greatness he had here. Yeah he went all Hollywood and checked out but the Kid was great one of the greatest to do it in a Hawks Uniform at QB.

I didn't see Wilson changing the play that often, and if he stuck with it because of coaching that's one thing... I can agree that Carroll didn't do him many favors with the out routes and Tecmo Bowl playbook Carroll employed, but I don't think Wilson's strength was ever recognizing a blitz or gap assignment mismatches. Wilson's strength for a number of years was using his legs to extend plays and finding downfield receivers who got open. It was not quick/efficient passes that exploited a defense. If someone is trying to argue that, I don't get where it's coming from.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak to past injuries like finger nerve damage or him putting on weight but there was also the speculation that before the RW trade to Denver there was a lot of speculation that the Broncos was to trade for Aaron Rodgers which was why Nathanial Hackett was hired as Head Coach. There was the idea that the offense centered around Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay when Hackett was the OC could never mesh with RW which was why he struggled. Either way we will see where RW lands and how he performs on his new team but I personally believe that I don't think it's a coincidence that the very next season after switching teams and coaching staff that he just fell off and all the same time Geno Smith took off.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak to past injuries like finger nerve damage or him putting on weight but there was also the speculation that before the RW trade to Denver there was a lot of speculation that the Broncos was to trade for Aaron Rodgers which was why Nathanial Hackett was hired as Head Coach. There was the idea that the offense centered around Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay when Hackett was the OC could never mesh with RW which was why he struggled. Either way we will see where RW lands and how he performs on his new team but I personally believe that I don't think it's a coincidence that the very next season after switching teams and coaching staff that he just fell off and all the same time Geno Smith took off.
The new owner panicked when AR was off the trade table so Russ was option 2. He didn't do too bad last season but Payton hates him so he'll be cut and yes it'll be interesting to see where he lands.