• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scary Moment

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
last update was that he was "conscious and aware" while being taken to the hospital.

Fucking hell, always scary to see. Hope he's OK.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sort of thing is so rare, fortunately, but it is scary af every time it happens. Surprised no one has ever died from it (at the MLB level, that I am aware of).

I am only aware of 2 on-field deaths in MLB history (actually, one of them was in AAA, I believe). The umpire who had a heart attack on the field on opening day about 20 years ago and the 3B coach who was speared in the chest by a shattered bat about 10 years ago.

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sort of thing is so rare, fortunately, but it is scary af every time it happens. Surprised no one has ever died from it (at the MLB level, that I am aware of).

I am only aware of 2 on-field deaths in MLB history (actually, one of them was in AAA, I believe). The umpire who had a heart attack on the field on opening day about 20 years ago and the 3B coach who was speared in the chest by a shattered bat about 10 years ago.
Ray Chapman, of the Cleveland Indians, was hit in the head by a pitch thrown by Carl Mays in 1920 and died the next day.
Also, Mike Coolbaugh was struck in the head by a line drive while coaching 1B in the minor leagues and died less than an hour afterward. His death is the reason all base coaches are required to wear helmets while they are on the field.

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray Chapman, of the Cleveland Indians, was hit in the head by a pitch thrown by Carl Mays in 1920 and died the next day.
Also, Mike Coolbaugh was struck in the head by a line drive while coaching 1B in the minor leagues and died less than an hour afterward. His death is the reason all base coaches are required to wear helmets while they are on the field.
Mike Coolbaugh is the one I was thinking of. The guy who got impaled didn’t die…