• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roy to the Warriors? Good? Bad?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Roy Think Well Since Moss Can Take A Year Off And Make A Come Back Maybe I Can Too.. I Think He Is Damaged Goods.. But If He Can Come Off The Bench And Add To The Team How Much Would It Cost? I Guess It Would Be Worth Atleast A Work Out ...

Roy to the Warriors?
4:39
PM ET
Golden State Warriors
RECOMMEND21COMMENTS13EMAIL

UPDATE: Longtime NBA writer Peter Vecsey predicts via Twitter that Brandon Roy will return to the league next season with the Golden State Warriors.

The Warriors, Vecsey points out, have Roy's former agent Bob Myers as their new general manager, so this would make some sense on paper. It'd also make sense on the court, where Roy could play a reduced role off the bench to spell Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, and provide some insurance in the event that Curry's injury-prone ankle continues to be problematic.

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd bring him in for a workout, and have a full check-out of his knees. We know they're bad, the only question is how bad.

If he checks out, I'd offer him a 2 year deal, with the second year being a team option, for $4-$5M total ($2 - $2.5M/year).

In addition to the ~15 minutes/game I'd try to get him (I'd probably never let him go over 20), one thing the Warriors need more of is players with winning / playoff experience. Curry, Thompson, and Lee have never been to the playoffs, and I think Bogut has only been there once. Right now the only guy who's been there multiple times is Jefferson..... Roy would help a lot with leadership and hopefully creating a winning mentality.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love for him to be a Warrior. To have a closer such as himself to come off the bench would be fantastic.

Get er done!

I do wonder what they think Roy has to do with Curry's ankle?

Last edited by a moderator:

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I do wonder what they think Roy has to do with Curry's ankle?

ek, I think that all they're suggesting is that Roy could provided some additional depth at guard, which is more critical because of concerns about Curry's ankle.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Roy would have to spend most of his time as Thompson's backup because Charles Jenkins is the backup point. If Cury goes down, he is definitely the best kind of insurance. But he can't expect to get starter's minutes, because they are not available.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Chuck that in order to sign him, he would definitely need to work out for us and get checked out by our trainers. The upside is tremendous, but that 4-5M in cap space could go to better use if Roy can't be relied upon for steady minutes (10-20 per game). Having a team that has been injury-prone go out and sign a guy who had previously retired due to injuries doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Chuck that in order to sign him, he would definitely need to work out for us and get checked out by our trainers. The upside is tremendous, but that 4-5M in cap space could go to better use if Roy can't be relied upon for steady minutes (10-20 per game). Having a team that has been injury-prone go out and sign a guy who had previously retired due to injuries doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Well, considering the Dubbs have 4 picks this year, I can see your point, as that money can be well spent elsewhere. Plus, with Curry having ankles that are as sturdy as Imation Cd's, you need a player that can give you more than 15 minutes per game. The Warriors will draft a SG with one of their picks, and although that player will probably not give you the kind of quality that Roy once did, they can provide more minutes as opposed to a player that has no cartilage in both knees.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of how and where it takes place, I would truly enjoy it if Roy was able to successfully make a comeback.

You'd have to think Roy at least getting away from that dubious Portland medical staff couldn't hurt.

EDIT: I'm with a few of the previous posters in regards to signing him - check him out and see if it is truly worth the deal. The Warriors make such terrible deals that it would be a shame if the Dubs went after Roy without doing due diligence, in part, because of the agent/GM connection.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AlexKennedyNBA: Brandon Roy has met with Minnesota and Dallas. He still has to meet with Golden State, Chicago and Indiana, and then he'll make a decision.
33 minutes ago

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC Johnson: Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau has talked to free agent guard Brandon Roy on phone about joining team. about 51 minutes ago

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Roy insurance for if we lose Rush? I'd rather have Rush than Roy.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are keeping Rush. I also don't think we will be getting Roy. We could only get him if he excepted the vet minimum. Myers mentioned today that they aren't going to be able to use all of the MLE because it would take them into the luxury tax. So basically we are gonna try and get Hickson on the cheap and take it from there imo. I hope some guys are left over that will take a minimum contract.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are keeping Rush. I also don't think we will be getting Roy. We could only get him if he excepted the vet minimum. Myers mentioned today that they aren't going to be able to use all of the MLE because it would take them into the luxury tax. So basically we are gonna try and get Hickson on the cheap and take it from there imo. I hope some guys are left over that will take a minimum contract.

MT2 also said that indications are that the Warriors are only interested in Roy if he's willing to take the vet minimum. Also mentions that Roy's camp is expecting him to command more than that, which pretty much eliminates the Warriors from getting Roy.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like a pass-first back-up PG with good D? If that exists for the league minimum...

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Myers met with Roy on Sunday but didn't take a physical. Roy is coming in for a 2nd visit with us some time this week. I assume he will take a physical then and if he passes we will shoot him an offer.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Myers met with Roy on Sunday but didn't take a physical. Roy is coming in for a 2nd visit with us some time this week. I assume he will take a physical then and if he passes we will shoot him an offer.

Just wondering with essentially no cartilage in both knees, how much is left on Father Clock for Roy. Solid insurance if you limit his minutes, but if Curry goes down, this guy won't last you a season if you give him 20+ minutes per game.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roy signed with Minny. 2 years 10.4M.

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Roy signed with Minny. 2 years 10.4M.

I also got some insight from somebody with ties to our front office. We offered Roy a contract for a year (not sure how many $), contingent on his passing a physical. Not only was Minnesota's deal for more time and money, but he didn't have to pass a physical for them. Yikes......

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also got some insight from somebody with ties to our front office. We offered Roy a contract for a year (not sure how many $), contingent on his passing a physical. Not only was Minnesota's deal for more time and money, but he didn't have to pass a physical for them. Yikes......

Yeah. Money better spent elsewhere. The bigger news is Batum agreeing to sign an offer sheet and requesting a sign and trade to Minny. Minneapolis is an underrated city (due to the weather), but better than Portland and their fans with an increased role coming? Seems silly. Obviously, the Blazers want to build around Batum and Aldridge. Does he not see that?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Money better spent elsewhere. The bigger news is Batum agreeing to sign an offer sheet and requesting a sign and trade to Minny. Minneapolis is an underrated city (due to the weather), but better than Portland and their fans with an increased role coming? Seems silly. Obviously, the Blazers want to build around Batum and Aldridge. Does he not see that?

I read about how Batum was not thrilled at his prior roles on the team. I understand it's their plan to give him a larger roll but when you've been told for years by the team to sit in the corner and shoot 3's it's hard to see them moving beyond that.

Also having a team coming in fresh and tell you exactly what they want and how they envision you producing on this team must be a great feeling. Can't fault him for agreeing to the offer sheet with Minny.