• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins Sign AP

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as an inexpensive stop gap AP is fine .

to me , perine should be the starter over kelley and that is cause for concern because i dont want smith trying to carry the load by himself

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

some AP stuff

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get why it matters. Don't get me wrong i don't think he'll really add much, but he's a stopgap rb who wont be here next year if he even makes it through the season. Who cares if a player like that is old?

I would rather take a stab in the dark than sign an old ass RB who I believe has lost it. At least then, you have a chance at finding a future.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather take a stab in the dark than sign an old ass RB who I believe has lost it. At least then, you have a chance at finding a future.

Yea I mean im pretty neutral on AP vs random younger back. AP may just be the best option for now. Not like he costs anything.

Guice is the future at the position. AP for a year wont tear down some youth movement or make us an old washed up team all of a sudden.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrian Peterson Says His Mindset Is to Win Redskins' Starting RB Job Immediately
ADAM WELLSAUGUST 21, 2018

hi-res-4be0e8e61fb40ea4d6d281e601148264_crop_north.jpg

Nick Wass/Associated Press
Adrian Peterson didn't sign with Washington to compete for a role in head coach Jay Gruden's offense.

Per ESPN's John Keim, Peterson said "without a doubt" his mindset is to be the starting running back when the season begins.

"I'd be cheating myself if that wasn't my approach," the seven-time Pro Bowler added.

Washington's backfield has been decimated by injuries this preseason.

Rookie Derrius Guice is out for the season after tearing the ACL in his left knee during the Aug. 9 preseason opener against the New England Patriots. Byron Marshall is expected to miss two to four weeks with an ankle injury. Samaje Perine will miss at least one week with an ankle injury.

Washington announced a contract agreement with Peterson on Monday. ESPN's Field Yates reported the deal is for the veteran minimum of $1.015 million with a $630,000 cap hit.

Former Washington quarterback John Williams was impressed with what he saw from Peterson's workout with the team.

"I don't know what he has left in the tank but what I saw yesterday was a lot of fuel in the tank," Williams said, via Keim.

Peterson, 33, is looking to rebuild his value after a disappointing 2017. The 2012 NFL MVP ran for 529 yards and two touchdowns on 156 carries with the Arizona Cardinals and New Orleans Saints.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrian Peterson Says His Mindset Is to Win Redskins' Starting RB Job Immediately
ADAM WELLSAUGUST 21, 2018

Former Washington quarterback John Williams was impressed with what he saw from Peterson's workout with the team.

"I don't know what he has left in the tank but what I saw yesterday was a lot of fuel in the tank," Williams said, via Keim.

Who the hell is John Williams? Do they mean Doug Williams?

In any case AP trying to get time likely means that he will have to play at least somewhat during the preseason, and I don't think I ever recall him playing in the preseason - at least not in the recent past.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first glance I thought AP was just a roster filler until Perine came back, but the Skins have given this a minor press rollout with all the images of him signing his contract and the interviews. Makes me think there are some expectations on the part of the Skins.

Unless AP wets the bed Friday, I think he has a real shot to be the lead back this year.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first glance I thought AP was just a roster filler until Perine came back, but the Skins have given this a minor press rollout with all the images of him signing his contract and the interviews. Makes me think there are some expectations on the part of the Skins.

Unless AP wets the bed Friday, I think he has a real shot to be the lead back this year.

Would be nice. Or - he could flame out like he did in New Orleans. This is a low risk move so why not give it a shot.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be nice. Or - he could flame out like he did in New Orleans. This is a low risk move so why not give it a shot.

Exactly. If he sucks, cut him and go get Charles or the guy from NY. Perine will still be healthy week 1. I don't see the harm. Our reputation of giving up money and picks for old guys is the easy narrative for lazy sports writers who live to bash the Skins.

If his name wasn't AP and the Skins signed a minimum deal to some other back......this wouldn't even be news.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he wins the job great . it isnt like kelley is the next coming

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrian Peterson avg 3.1 yds behind the worst O-line, in Ari. The Redskins had the 12th best line last year. Already he's in a better place to excel.

Not to mention The Cardinals and The Saints employ ZBS and AP works better in PRS, which Jay likes to run. Couple that with basically having a year off, due to his neck injury giving his legs a chance to rest he has a 50 50 chance off working out here. We'll have to wait and see?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrian Peterson avg 3.1 yds behind the worst O-line, in Ari. The Redskins had the 12th best line last year. Already he's in a better place to excel.

Not to mention The Cardinals and The Saints employ ZBS and AP works better in PRS, which Jay likes to run. Couple that with basically having a year off, due to his neck injury giving his legs a chance to rest he has a 50 50 chance off working out here. We'll have to wait and see?

Hold on...let me get this straight...we were number 12 in OL, with which OL? We had 35 of them last season.

Here are the stats...we averaged 3.6 yards per rush and gave up 41 sacks. Arizona averaged 3.5 YPC and gave up 52. We were not much better last season.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hold on...let me get this straight...we were number 12 in OL, with which OL? We had 35 of them last season.

Here are the stats...we averaged 3.6 yards per rush and gave up 41 sacks. Arizona averaged 3.5 YPC and gave up 52. We were not much better last season.

Very true, but if healthy this will be a completely different line. If they have the same OL health issues as last season then I don't care who is the RB, QB, etc - they won't have a prayer.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad the original source I got the O-line rankings from was off. According to ProFootball Focus they were 21:

Total pressures surrendered: 181
Best player: Brandon Scherff
Combinations used: 27

While Washington fielded two elite offensive linemen to start the season in left tackle Trent Williams and right guard Brandon Scherff, both of them struggled to stay on the field in 2017. As a matter of fact, the entire Washington line was marred by injuries a season ago as a whopping 11 offensive linemen played at least 140 snaps for the Redskins in 2017. The injuries had their impact and the Washington offensive line never really got into rhythm over the season. Redskins running backs averaged just 1.29 yards before contact, the fifth-fewest in the NFL while the unit allowed 25 sacks on the season, tied for the sixth-most.

Ranking all 32 offensive lines from the 2017 NFL season | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad the original source I got the O-line rankings from was off. According to ProFootball Focus they were 21:

Total pressures surrendered: 181
Best player: Brandon Scherff
Combinations used: 27

While Washington fielded two elite offensive linemen to start the season in left tackle Trent Williams and right guard Brandon Scherff, both of them struggled to stay on the field in 2017. As a matter of fact, the entire Washington line was marred by injuries a season ago as a whopping 11 offensive linemen played at least 140 snaps for the Redskins in 2017. The injuries had their impact and the Washington offensive line never really got into rhythm over the season. Redskins running backs averaged just 1.29 yards before contact, the fifth-fewest in the NFL while the unit allowed 25 sacks on the season, tied for the sixth-most.

Ranking all 32 offensive lines from the 2017 NFL season | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

I saw 35 different OL combinations and KC was sacked 41 times last season.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true, but if healthy this will be a completely different line. If they have the same OL health issues as last season then I don't care who is the RB, QB, etc - they won't have a prayer.

Is it completely different? I agree they can pass protect with the assistance of the QB.

Rushing averages

2017- 3.6 YPC, 30th
2016- 4.5 YPC, 9th...but 21in yards. We were ranked there because nobody thought we would run.
2015- 3.7, 30th