• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds Sign Roger Bernadina

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont brag about getting every time I get a prediction right, but when I see a good young talent I like to point it out.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Roger Bernadina thread will last until about April 12.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bernadina, Bell, Soto, and Barnhart are all making the club by default with 8 players slated to start the season on the DL. Add Santiago to the list and the reds have three non-roster invitees make the team out of ST. Predicting any of those guys to make the team is something a Reds' fan shouldn't want to get right. It's not like the team just got an upgrade to it's roster.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would like to see Barnhart get a few innings, since he's a legit up-and-coming catcher.
Bell won't pitch much. There's another thread on him being the grandson of the guy who played Bozo the clown.
Soto is a guy who you don't mind burning an option on. He evidently can hit.
I always thought Santiago was a lock given his infield versatility. Once Schumaker went down, but Santiago and Bernadina got a door kicked open for them.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody wanted injures obviously. But to say Bernadina isnt someone who doesn't deserve to be on team isnt fair either. Guy has speed, and a good glove and bat. Had a down year last year but I think he can bounce back and have a really productive year. Bernadina could have still made team without Skip Schumaker getting hurt,thats the only injury causing him to make team btw.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bernadina is, I repeat, a different version of Xavier Paul. I don't know why they let Paul go and ended up with Bernadina. But Rajah does play CF and Paul doesn't. Maybe Paul wanted out.

I thought this guy had earned a better chance. Guess not.

Chris Nelson granted his release by Reds
-- CBSSports.com
Fine spring numbers did not translate into success for veteran third baseman Chris Nelson. He has opted out of his contract with the Reds and asked for his release.

Nelson batted .317 with three doubles, one home run and seven RBI in 41 at-bats. He boasted a .463 slugging percentage.

The 28 year old peaked with Colorado in 2012, batting .301, but slumped badly last season and will now try to hook on with another organization.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To quote Clint Eastwood in the movie Unforgiven right before he kills Gene Hackman, "Deserves got nothin' to do with it".

Spring Trainings of the past are littered with players that have good numbers in a small sample size that aren't playing the game a couple years later. These guys are non-roster invitees for a reason.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for Ryan,

If Schumaker and all the injuries for that matter don't occur, who was Bernadina going to bump off the 25 man roster?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santiago was going to make the team. That was a no-brainer.
The extra roster spot for the moment is Hannahan, who won't play for quite awhile.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other trick here is that Price will only carry 12 pitchers. Dusty carried 13.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty needed 15 pitchers...often used 6-7 in one game. He always had a spent bullpen by May.

Sometimes you don't have to be deserving, just at the right place at the right time...who the hell gives journeymen .230 hitters 2 year contracts ? Hannahan got one. Anyone really think we needed to lock him up because we couldn't have found another guy to hit .200 for less than a couple mil ? Someone has to be able to play SS / 2b once in a while, and it isn't nearly as embarrassing for a guy fielding to go 1/11 at the plate as it is to make 3 errors in 2 days, so I get the good glove, no bat utility middle infielders..I just don't get the average glove, no hit corner men or outfielders. I know 12 year olds with better arms in LF than Ludwick, so he has to hit. So does Hamilton...and any guy I call a pinch hitter needs to actually get some hits...especially if he makes 7 figures and Soto and Lutz make half that.

I just hope the Reds get healthy before they're in 4th place 12 games back.