• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ray Shero announced as New GM: Lou to remain as Team President

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
thats true about the cap space.

shero is a pretty good man when making some trades so hopefully he can take advantage of teams looking to unload on the cheap

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can I just say, I'm so relieved to hear from the owners and shero that this is actually a rebuild, and they're not going to make any decisions that will kill this team in a few years. Personally, based on what's available in free agency this year, and the declining nature of any asset that you would get from trading the 6th pick, I'm totally fine with getting 3 top 40 players this draft, then being bad next season, and trying to reload a little bit. The D cops is still very young. Cory will still be great in 5 years, doesn't have a ton of miles on him. I have no problem with getting some good forwards for goodness sake.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can I just say, I'm so relieved to hear from the owners and shero that this is actually a rebuild, and they're not going to make any decisions that will kill this team in a few years. Personally, based on what's available in free agency this year, and the declining nature of any asset that you would get from trading the 6th pick, I'm totally fine with getting 3 top 40 players this draft, then being bad next season, and trying to reload a little bit. The D cops is still very young. Cory will still be great in 5 years, doesn't have a ton of miles on him. I have no problem with getting some good forwards for goodness sake.
We could've have had a headstart on the forwards part had we actually FORFEITED that bloody high end pick!!!!

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Problem is all the food ufa get locked up before they can get there.

This rebuild will have to be done through the draft. If this pick busts then we are set back another two years.

They need two impact players from this draft to play in the nhl in two years time.

That and throw in one major deal to get us that forward

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The UFA this year is terrible. I looked at the list a few times and I think the Devils need to just stay away. Nobody over the age of 30 please.

One good thing about Shero is he does have that knack at making deals. I just don't know if doing anything before next season makes sense. This draft is critical for the team.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing the Devils need to hope for is the cap to not go up a whole lot. Teams will have to have fire sales to get under if it doesn't go up much (Chicago in particular). You may be able to get a player for pennies on the dollar.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Heard the news when away and couldn't post since.

Josh Harris has to be one of the worst owners in all sports. He's managed to destroy one franchise and is on the way to destroying another.

The 76ers are a joke here in Philly. nobody respects the team and nobody has any interest in watching them. Tickets were as low as $0.04 two seasons ago and they still weren't selling because it wasn't worth the effort to try and get to the stadium.

Meanwhile, the Devils were the easiest team to own in the NHL. Just let Lou do his thing and things will be good. Harris managed to fuck up a sure thing and only time will tell if he's able able to salvage what he did.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard the news when away and couldn't post since.

Josh Harris has to be one of the worst owners in all sports. He's managed to destroy one franchise and is on the way to destroying another.

The 76ers are a joke here in Philly. nobody respects the team and nobody has any interest in watching them. Tickets were as low as $0.04 two seasons ago and they still weren't selling because it wasn't worth the effort to try and get to the stadium.

Meanwhile, the Devils were the easiest team to own in the NHL. Just let Lou do his thing and things will be good. Harris managed to fuck up a sure thing and only time will tell if he's able able to salvage what he did.

Our current woes were set in motion before they arrived. The looming financial uncertainty under VB I think played a big part in how we approached certain things, there were some bad moves made. Time will tell if the team improves but I'm not ready to bury ownership for anything just yet (aside from changing the goal song, fuckers).

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Everything I've read from Parise and Kovalchuk that has been published after the left points to the the teams finances as an issue. It's well known that the year before Kovy's contract Parise wanted to negotiate a contract without even getting an agent. Lou fucked that up, but ownership also fucked up when the didn't sign Parise and Kovalchuk to matching deals.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was referring more towards reading that Harris is pushing Lou out the door. I think Lou was still one of the best in the business despite the recent struggles. It is easy to say he's been bad because he set the standards so high in the 90s but I think the internet age and instant information/gratification has kept people thinking about the present and not the big picture.

That being said, Shero would absolutely be one of the top choices to replace Lou and there may not be another chance to find as suitable a GM in the future unless Lombardi somehow gets fired. I just don't want to see Harris interfere any more than he has because his actions as a sports owner so far are terrible.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i'm going to be the first to admit that i dont know anything about GM's whos good or who's bad. i will just assume since lou "picked" shero that he is going to be good.

that said i'm not going to judge the owners just yet. when we get a star player and he needs a big pay day and we let him walk then i will judge them. they really haven't had any ON ICE issues yet that have made me angry or to question them. off ice? yeah from what i've read about pru center and season ticket holders etc its been a shit show.

i really dont think that if the new owners were here a few years back parise or kovalchuk would have stayed. the "financial" mess really wouldn't effect the players...they would've gotten their paychecks the nhl would've made sure of it. i mean what parise was really worried that the devils would default on their contract to him and he would go broke? fat chance...he wanted gone once he didn't get that extension and went to arbitration instead. it was a perfect storm that he and suter were UFA at the same time.

lou was great in the 90s and early 00's. after the first lockout though when he brought in mogilny malakov and mcgillis that was just horrible and panic moves. people seem to forget that we had to trade away a 1st round pick to the sharks so that they would take malakov's contract (cap circumvention at its finest). his questionable coaching decisions etc all played a part in it. he had to go this team needs a new direction for better or worse it was time. will shero suck? maybe but we we weren't exactly lighting the world on fire with him either. we got past the 2nd round 1x in the past 13 years!

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
WOW! guess it goes to show you that he really did get fired from his role as GM here. it really goes to show you that you can't believe all the headlines you read.

nieds didn't leave for family
parise didn't leave for family
robinson didn't leave for family
i doubt kovy left for family too.

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW! guess it goes to show you that he really did get fired from his role as GM here. it really goes to show you that you can't believe all the headlines you read.

Yeah Cup, definitely appears now he was forced out. I really like what the Devils as an organization has been doing this summer. We'll see if it produces some results in the next few years.

That being said, thanks Lou for many great years and memories.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely nothing to do with today's news, come on now Cup.

I believe we get a compensation pick for him so that's nice.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG! Thought this day would never come. Id have been here 5 minutes sooner but I had to pick my jaw up off the floor.