• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ray Shero announced as New GM: Lou to remain as Team President

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shero* MC, care to change the title? Thanks.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
wow! never thought the day would come.

i guess lou's seat was hotter then anyone believed.

i really like the shero move he did some great things in pitt and honestly who else would be out there? broduer?

this means disco dan goes right to the top of the HC list. which i would be 100% for.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow! never thought the day would come.

i guess lou's seat was hotter then anyone believed.

i really like the shero move he did some great things in pitt and honestly who else would be out there? broduer?

this means disco dan goes right to the top of the HC list. which i would be 100% for.

Yeah, can't complain. I would agree Bylsma is atop his coaches list, but who knows.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is pretty shocking news. We all talked about Lou being on the hot seat, especially with new owners, but I expected another year at least.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I share the enthusiasm everyone else does. Crosby and Malkin in their prime and they only got one cup, consistently underachieved. I don't want Bylsma anywhere near this team, they won despite him.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If everything coming out of Lou's mouth is true, it was Lou who really tried to get Ray Shero to be the next GM. Seems they have been talking for quite some time.

Whoever the coach is, I think gets hired quickly.
Before the draft.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is huge news though. Does this mean we become a market for ufa ? Do players want to stop leaving here now? No more bringing back old Devils.

Reading people say his leash will be short etc. why would it be? Lou has had very very little success the past 10 years outside of a trip to the finals. He's had a ton of bad signings and trades.

Will this mean conte gets the boot after this draft? Let's hope so. Exciting times for Devils fans finally. Some fresh blood some fresh ideas

The five best and worst moves of the Ray Shero era | The Hockey News

Let's not kid ourselves either lou was fired. We never would read these words but he was fired.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not sure I share the enthusiasm everyone else does. Crosby and Malkin in their prime and they only got one cup, consistently underachieved. I don't want Bylsma anywhere near this team, they won despite him.

That's true they were massive underachievers I've said that recently like a week ago it's funny the guy is our gm now.

You have to wonder though after seeing the pens play this year was it the gm or the players? They really don't look interested in playing anymore they got their cup and cemented their legacy now it's meh (talking Sid and malkin ). He really should move one but that won't happen. Would you want to be known as the gm that traded one of them?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Btw shipping staal to the canes for a draft pick and suter when they knew he was leaving .

That's exactly what I want to see. Pending ufa? Get something for them!

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm glad this transition is finally happening. Needed a new captain to steer the ship. I'm also glad that Lou is still around as long as he gives Shero autonomy, which based off his comments he's fully committed to doing.

Glad this was done before the draft as well. Not sure if they will make any scouting changes since so much of that work is already done. But a different philosophy looking at the data and scouting reports is a good start.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
When you have Malkin and Crosby, they take up a huge chunk of the team's salary cap. It is great to have them of course but you have to still build a team with whatever money is left. I thought he always added what seemed like the right pieces. The problems they had were things like Fleury having a great regular season and then being horrible in the playoffs.

I am excited with the news. This was a shock however. Haven't been this surprised since Kovy left for Russia. I didn't see this coming at all.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure about Ray Shero however, change was needed. He was ousted in Pittsburgh after 5 consecutive playoff ousters against lower seeds opponents. I'll gladly give it a chance. Please, NO Bylsma! Guy is overrated. The guy tried to disrespect Stevens during the 03 Finals. No thanks.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good to see the changes, I hope this Shero guy is worth it... I don't want to see any bad deals for the sake of making deals...

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt this is going to be an improvement. Nothing against Lou, he built a team that had massive success in the 90's and early 00's. That said, it's a different time now, and I think the league is light years different than used to be. Shero built solid teams in Pittsburgh, albeit having the luxury of Crosby and Malkin to attract players. Still, new blood, coupled with cap space, should help bring some talent to NJ.

In addition, I don't think Shero should be help entirely accountable for the Pens playoff struggles. He can only build the team. It's up to coaches and players to succeed. As we saw this year with the Pens, new GM (and even a new coach) wasn't enough to fix the Pens. That team lacks heart. Hopefully, the Devils will not lack it.

VERY excited for the draft, UFA season, and ultimately the season itself. That said, I don't want to wish summer away!

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just a couple of quick notes:

RE his Pittsburgh tenure:
- The Pens had already drafted Malkin, Crosby, Letang, and Fleury before he arrived.
- His draft success isn't incredible there, BUT obviously he wasnt getting many high picks.
- He did have good success moving some players that were on rough contracts, that would make it hard to keep Malkin/Crosby/Letang. IE the Jordan Staal Trade.
- He traded a lot of picks, because they were trying to get wingers almost every season.

RE his Nashville Tenure as Assitant GM:
- They drafted players like Suter, Weber, Rinne.

Let's see what takes place at the draft and with the coaching decision.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Remember also, when you have Crosby and Malkin on your team, your goal is definitely to win now, not build for 5 years down the road. I would trade picks too. If Fleury didn't fall apart those few years, I think they would have won more cups.
Lou was hanging on and trying to win now as Marty was getting up there with age, when in hindsight, maybe the rebuild process should have started earlier. Its easy to say that now of course.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
this guy was going to get hired somewhere it might as well be here. if people were always hired off their past then no one would have a job.

i'm super excited for the draft more so for the years this june since there wont be any moves made in personnel. conte should/could be gone and his staff too.

people also complaining about his lack of success? not for anything what success have we had in the same time frame? bunch of first round ko's 1 trip past the second round and a couple of missed playoffs. i really doubt he could do much worse.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hard to imagine that they're going to overhaul the scouting department immediately, however, since Lou always has final say on picks in the past, maybe the Conte team isn't the problem. We'll see.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go away for a few days and all hell breaks loose...

Change is needed but I am not a big Shero fan and even less so Blysma. I hope I am wrong. On the plus side he has a lot of cap room to work with so lets hope!