• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

rangers trade thoughts........

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wouldn't be a huge bat, but he'd be an upgrade over Murphy. His .335 OBP is okay, but not great, and he's striking out over twice as much as he walks. His wRC+ is 112, so again an upgrade over Murphy but not a piece that puts us over the top by any means. Would depend on what they wanted.

What they want is really what it depends on, and I don't think it would be much considering I think the ChiSox will just be happy to dump the rest of his contract for this year and next, about 20 million dollars (rest of this season plus 13 million next year and a 1 million dollar buyout for 2015)

He could provide a little depth for next year when Cruz and Murphy will be FAs and we lack upper minors options in the OF

Not the best option, but certainly a cost effective one (in terms of prospects)

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What they want is really what it depends on, and I don't think it would be much considering I think the ChiSox will just be happy to dump the rest of his contract for this year and next, about 20 million dollars (rest of this season plus 13 million next year and a 1 million dollar buyout for 2015)

He could provide a little depth for next year when Cruz and Murphy will be FAs and we lack upper minors options in the OF

Not the best option, but certainly a cost effective one (in terms of prospects)

You're right about the cost effectiveness, but he could be a decent stop gap if you can find another COF who is a legitimate MOTOB.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right about the cost effectiveness, but he could be a decent stop gap if you can find another COF who is a legitimate MOTOB.

I could live with him holding down a COF spot for the rest of this year and next at his current production...

Is he overpaid? HUGELY but he's a solid bat with some base stealing ability and is a former CF that can play some decent defense on a corner

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the stretch I could live with a Rios/Martin/Cruz OF with Baker and Gentry coming off the bench

I say Baker b/c I'm hoping the ChiSox would want a relatively cheap OF option just for the rest of this season (Murphy)

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could live with him holding down a COF spot for the rest of this year and next at his current production...

Is he overpaid? HUGELY but he's a solid bat with some base stealing ability and is a former CF that can play some decent defense on a corner

actually if you figure WAR at about 4.5 million, Rios' current production puts him on pace of providing about 16 million in value which would actually provide a surplus of about 4 million

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually if you figure WAR at about 4.5 million, Rios' current production puts him on pace of providing about 16 million in value which would actually provide a surplus of about 4 million

How's his defense?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
maybe not straight up, but Cruz worked out ok :)

Didn't we get Murphy that way too, from BOS?

Cruz was the #2 piece ... TEX wanted Carlos Lee ... giving up Nix (CF), Mench (COF) and Cordero (who had more BS than S) so wouldn't equate him to a real late inning guy.

Yes -- TEX snookered BOS into giving up Gabbard, Murphy and E. Beltre for the Eric Gagne rental. Gagne didn't get a Save for BOS and was a FA and gone. For TEX Gagne was replaced by CJ as closer who had more Saves than Gagne did for TEX. So ... if you can find someone to take a guy who is going to crash ... that's cool. Gagne's best days were way before he got to TEX ... let alone BOS.

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cruz was the #2 piece ... TEX wanted Carlos Lee ... giving up Nix (CF), Mench (COF) and Cordero (who had more BS than S) so wouldn't equate him to a real late inning guy.

Yes -- TEX snookered BOS into giving up Gabbard, Murphy and E. Beltre for the Eric Gagne rental. Gagne didn't get a Save for BOS and was a FA. Gagne was replaced by CJ as closer who had more Saves than Gagne did for TEX. So ... if you can find someone to take a guy who is going to crash ... that's cool. Gagne's best days were way before he got to TEX ... let alone BOS.

Not to mention Cruz was getting a bit on the old side to still be considered a prospect

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's just above average in most respects; hitting, power, baserunning, and defense

Yeah. He'd be some insurance for next year, but we may have to consider next year may be a bit of a year to let some young guys develop. We may very well see an OF that includes Olt next year. Next year we'll probably be looking for two COF (unless we acquire someone), a catcher, and a dh.

I could see them going after McCann which would be a good call, but that still leaves 2-3 needs for legitimate bats in a pretty thin FA market.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. He'd be some insurance for next year, but we may have to consider next year may be a bit of a year to let some young guys develop. We may very well see an OF that includes Olt next year. Next year we'll probably be looking for two COF (unless we acquire someone), a catcher, and a dh.

I could see them going after McCann which would be a good call, but that still leaves 2-3 needs for legitimate bats in a pretty thin FA market.

I don't see Olt as a legitimate OF bat but even if you plug him in, there isn't much of anything else in the high minors (AAA/AA) worth giving a shot, aside from Engel Beltre but I see him as a Gentry type if anything, so even if you plug in Olt in RF and Martin in CF, then what?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Olt as a legitimate OF bat but even if you plug him in, there isn't much of anything else in the high minors (AAA/AA) worth giving a shot, aside from Engel Beltre but I see him as a Gentry type if anything, so even if you plug in Olt in RF and Martin in CF, then what?

That's my point. The FA market is thin, and while Olt as an every day OF isn't ideal what better options are really out there? Personally I'd be more interested in cuddyer or Schierholtz. Frankly, there's a decent chance Kinsler winds up in the OF next year whether we like it or not unless Profar gets traded.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point. The FA market is thin, and while Olt as an every day OF isn't ideal what better options are really out there? Personally I'd be more interested in cuddyer or Schierholtz. Frankly, there's a decent chance Kinsler winds up in the OF next year whether we like it or not unless Profar gets traded.

This is true, my point is that Rios wouldn't be holding back the development of anybody in the OF, unless you see MASSIVE growth from some of the guys in Hickory in the next year (Williams, Brinson, Gallo, Mazara) and based on the strikeout totals thus far, probably not going to happen

Does that mean I advocate it? no, but I wouldn't be disappointed if that were trade as of today

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true, my point is that Rios wouldn't be holding back the development of anybody in the OF, unless you see MASSIVE growth from some of the guys in Hickory in the next year (Williams, Brinson, Gallo, Mazara) and based on the strikeout totals thus far, probably not going to happen

Does that mean I advocate it? no, but I wouldn't be disappointed if that were trade as of today

Sums it up pretty nicely.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would welcome rios with open arms......nice upgrade

hopefully the soxs dont wont a lot in return