• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

rangers trade thoughts........

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering you guys were thinking about trading for Stanton you're probably in the same mindset as the Mets, but do you have any expendable outfield bats? Mets have a ton of young arms and desperately need help in the OF.

Lots in the lower minors, but very few that are ML ready this year or next

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, that was my point. :wtf2:

Let me go back, sounds like you might have been on the "trade and sign Dickey...pay ANY PRICE" bandwagon in the offseason.

Not me. Go back and look here or at the old place. I have never been in favor of any trade and few high dollar FA acquisitions either. I am universally in favor of teams building and sustaining themselves internally.

But look what you wrote above:

"The price for him would be too high right now. He is not going to keep producing like he has been, so buying right now would be overpaying".

This is why future value projections is what you base the acquisition on whether talking about antique cars, paintings or baseball players. You don't pay on current production or career stats. Those factors are irrelevant to anything but anchoring current value which since they are not playing for you currently is meaningless.

On the Lee negotiation ... PHL was basically going to pay him the same but for an additional year. TEX was not willing to go the extra year. (Thank goodness!)

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Considering you guys were thinking about trading for Stanton you're probably in the same mindset as the Mets, but do you have any expendable outfield bats? Mets have a ton of young arms and desperately need help in the OF.

They can have Murphy tonight. Oh they want ... "outfield bats?" ... never mind.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

TEX is in on all the market conversations ... according to talking heads ... if nothing more than seeing how other teams value their talent and what they say their needs are ... which helps TEX value that team's and their own TEX prospects.

TEX has some developing OF talent and despite all the media Stanton-talk ... could easily solve its COF needs through the post season FA market to bridge to when TEX COF prospects are ML-ready. IMO.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so here is a list of some FA's next year that could be cheapish at the deadline........

matt garza,ervin santana,scott baker(these guy arent on a contender and could hold down the 4/5 spot if needed).....the only OF help i see that is not a current contender is corey hart....

so not a lot out there

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Trade thoughts" mostly would apply to 2013 moves affecting TEX getting to the post season this year. Above "FA" post would apply to 2014.

Based on performance last couple of weeks ... I don't see TEX actively pursuing trade(s) simply because the team core is not performing well enough to make a trade for the 1 or maximum 2 players that improve TEX post season chances.

We'll see what happens between now and the ASB ... and then coming out of the ASB to the deadline. But if I were JD at this point I would be more inclined to continue to stay within the TEX system for players to kick the can down the road until TEX can see where it is.

Pessimistically, TEX has not shown it has the offense to get to the post season ... and if it did by some miracle as a second wild card then it lacks the shut down pitching to advance in the post season.

There are just too many holes to fill to make this a worthy exercise to look for trades at this point.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Trade thoughts" mostly would apply to 2013 moves affecting TEX getting to the post season this year. Above "FA" post would apply to 2014.

Based on performance last couple of weeks ... I don't see TEX actively pursuing trade(s) simply because the team core is not performing well enough to make a trade for the 1 or maximum 2 players that improve TEX post season chances.

We'll see what happens between now and the ASB ... and then coming out of the ASB to the deadline. But if I were JD at this point I would be more inclined to continue to stay within the TEX system for players to kick the can down the road until TEX can see where it is.

Pessimistically, TEX has not shown it has the offense to get to the post season ... and if it did by some miracle as a second wild card then it lacks the shut down pitching to advance in the post season.

There are just too many holes to fill to make this a worthy exercise to look for trades at this point.

While I mostly agree, his post does reference the fact that they are trade targets that teams would be willing to trade this year and get something for them now before they become free agents before next year

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
While I mostly agree, his post does reference the fact that they are trade targets that teams would be willing to trade this year and get something for them now before they become free agents before next year

Yea ... but if you ain't going anywhere there is no reason to trade for someone who will be an FA at the end of the year either.

IMO ... teams ought to get one deadline trade and one offseason FA acquisition with a max 3 year contract. Everything else comes from your system.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Thats the Hard Reality that Myself and a lot of Ranger Fans are Dealing with this Year. The Rangers aren't on the Level they were in 2010 and 2011. The Rangers have had a lot of Injuries this Year. Losing Kinsler a Few Weeks back really hurt. Now Moreland is Out. But Your Point about the Everyday Core Players not Playing Well enough is Spot On was well. Both David Murphy and Elvis Andrus are having Down Offensive Years. It is Frustrating to Watch. After Winning Back to Back Pennants, As a Fan you want to go deep in the Post Season and get there every year. But you are correct. If the Main Core isn't performing well enough, there is no need to make a Blockbuster Trade. Right now this isn't 2010 when the Rangers traded for Lee. Unless things change Dramatically in the Next Five to Six Weeks.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to acquiring pitchers, free agents or by trade, we tend to have the same opinions, and I know I was firmly against any sort of trade for Dickey, so I think you probably have him confused with someone else

I was saying that he seems to be of the mindset that we should pay a price for a guy performing at the top of his game, in a small subset.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think we can make the play-offs and be a real contender with a little help........like jta has brought up we were the best team in the AL when ian went down

if we could get a corey hart(if he gets healthy ) i think that would be better than the way murph is going

i would probably lean towards staying with what we got pitching ..... unless the cubs werent asking for a steep price on garza

the rangers healthy with one more arm and some OF help could win the AL ..imo

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think we don't make a move for a starting pitcher unless he is a long term guy, not a season rental. I bet we are shopping for BP and that is about it, hoping to add back all the injured guys.

We need Mitch and ian back, now.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think we don't make a move for a starting pitcher unless he is a long term guy, not a season rental. I bet we are shopping for BP and that is about it, hoping to add back all the injured guys.

We need Mitch and ian back, now.

This. The only starting we add would probably be Cliff Lee or a David Price

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dOnt know why people are doubting the Rangers not having shutdown pitching or a good offense. All it takes is for the team to get hot at the right time. You can win the world series without having the best talent. Cardinals and giants are prime examples. All you need to do is get in first

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dOnt know why people are doubting the Rangers not having shutdown pitching or a good offense. All it takes is for the team to get hot at the right time. You can win the world series without having the best talent. Cardinals and giants are prime examples. All you need to do is get in first

Our hitting is a joke right now. If something doesn't change they won't be winning anything.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our hitting is a joke right now. If something doesn't change they won't be winning anything.

The offense is always up and down for all teams throught the season. Thats just how it is. I remember these cpld spells in 2010-2011. Lets just wait till ian and mitch come back.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense is always up and down for all teams throught the season. Thats just how it is. I remember these cpld spells in 2010-2011. Lets just wait till ian and mitch come back.

I've never seen it this bad. It's not just bad luck when the entire team's approach is so bad. Our idiot manager doesn't help either.