• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random FF Thoughts

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to sound crazy, but maybe the combine is for the teams and not the fans

Who Knows Yes GIF by Bounce

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to sound crazy, but maybe the combine is for the teams and not the fans

This is %100 factual..

BUUUUTTTT......

they market it in an effort to get people to watch it on the NFL network. So the tricky lil shits try to present it as a fan experience so that we will consume it

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never really seen the interest in the combine anyways. Yes it's fun to see the results of those tests, irs water cooler fodder for people like us. The 40 times, the bench press, the shuttle drill, the vertical... but it doesn't really mean a whole lot in the big picture, ESPECIALLY for QB's.

A 40 time means something, and the amount of that something is certainly debatable, but SOMETHING, for WR's, RB,s, DB,s, some LB's, so it's worth doing, it's worth talking about to pass the time until draft day. Just don't take it as an end all be all. But watching it? No, no thank you.

But those throwing drills?? No pressure, no coverage, no read progression? Your not getting a read on anything that will happen in game situations, so why would you bother even participating?

The real value of the combine, especially for the 'top' guys, is the interviews and the medicals, and we never see those anyways.
Because there was no football!!

It was exciting to be a year round fan.

But they really didn't give a shit about us, only milking us. My udders hurt now, so I go do something else. Turns out the players follow my lead.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some NFL teams have quit sending their coaching staffs to the combine. Packers and Rams are two them and the Seahawks coaching staff won't be going to the combine this season either. No real reason for coaching staff to attend I guess, if they want they can watch video or they can just look at raw data if they want to, it's not football after all, just metrics basically.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some NFL teams have quit sending their coaching staffs to the combine. Packers and Rams are two them and the Seahawks coaching staff won't be going to the combine this season either. No real reason for coaching staff to attend I guess, if they want they can watch video or they can just look at raw data if they want to, it's not football after all, just metrics basically.
I was listening to the local radio dudes discuss this yesterday, The Payton/Paton duo form Denver will be there, but it begs the question, what are those coaches doing while they aren't at the combine? I assume studying film, designing an offense/defense-tweaking, whatever, but I would certainly want my team's head coach to be there getting a fell for all these incoming talents, but hey, if you trust your scouting department to the point that their recommendation is good enough, than so be it.

It is interesting that the teams listed as not sending their coaches- they're all set at QB, more or less. I mean Seattle could certainly upgrade, but its not like they have a black hole at the position.

I wonder if it'll get to the point where the NFL bans coaches/scouts from attending pro days so that the athletes HAVE to show what they can do at the combine? I honestly wouldn't put it past the league to do so. How else to guarantee that you can tune in and watch your favorite collegiate athlete run fast on a track, than to make it it only available in one place? If they're serious about trying to drive up fan interest int eh combine, that's the way to do it.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. It was for the teams. And that's what real interested fans want. So instead they made a spectacle out of it trying to capitalize on the eyeballs that really loved the draft. They tried to expand the coverage to entice the casuals...

Now the teams get less out of it, the players get less out of it, the hardcore fans get less out of it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@averagejoe was looking for how long on average a NFL QB has to throw and came across this on reddit:

1709054778395.png
You are now sourced for NFL data on the internet. :thumb:

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJ, Penix, and Nix will all be throwing at the combine, so pending how anyone feels about those guys, at least something to pay attention to during the combine

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJ, Penix, and Nix will all be throwing at the combine, so pending how anyone feels about those guys, at least something to pay attention to during the combine
I'm curious as to how Spencer Rattler performs and what the feeling is on him after interviews and whatnot. 2-3 years ago, this guy was SUPPOSSED to be the greatest thing ever

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's up with all these top guys bowing out of the combine testing ? Seems the trend is to just show your stuff at pro-days where you're on home turf with guys you know. ..... guess I understand that.
It's just another step removed from opting out of bowl games. They want them to play in bowl games or show up at the combine, pay them for it, that's the only thing they understand now anyway now that NIL has ruined college football.