• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams 38, Colts 8-Fourth Win of the season-Blowout-Second Road Win

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game caught many of us by surprise. When many had predicted the Rams would get crushed, it was the Rams doing the crushing keeping their playoff hopes alive. This win was a total team effort as we got scores from all three phase of the game. This was indeed a break-out game we have all been waiting for a number of people-the most conspicuous was Tavon Austin!! And we did it on the road for our second road win of the year.

On Offense. The positives. Where do I start? Tavon Austin, Zac Stacy, Benny Cunningham, Kellen Clemens, and the O-line. The most conspicuous was Austin who had TD's as a WR and as a punt returner. The TD's were on a simple screen/roll-out play that broke wide-open, a 81 yard bomb from Clemens, and a 98-yard punt return that he fooled everyone by yelling to get away from the ball and then grabbed the ball on a one-hopper and took off. Austin finished the day over 300 yards combined offense and finally had a performance of a first round, 8th overall selection.

Next up, Zac Stacy and B. Cunningham combined for 134 yards rushing: Stacy went for 26/62 yards and 1 TD and B. Cunningham went 7/72 yards with a 56-yard scamper late in the game to grab everyone's attention. Clemens had a nice game-managing day going 9/16 for 247 yards and 2TDS with no INTs and great leadership compared to Luck who went 29/47 for 353 yards, 1TD, and 3 INTs. Lastly, the O-line. Boudreau and Fisher went jumbo today moving Saffold inside to right guard and starting Barksdale at right tackle. Long and Williams were on Wells' left side and they lined it up and ran the ball often blowing the Colts off the LOS. Shelley Smith made several appearances as well. They have found something in this configuration as they have now become a smashmouth team on offense with a decent game-manager at QB.

The negatives. Not much here. We had 2 fumbles by Clemens and Austin and lost one. One penalty on offense today as well. We gave up two sacks that were coverage related. Overall, a stellar day with everyone contributing even guys like Harkey and Cook as well.

On Defense. The positives. They scored first and became very opportunistic all game long. C.Long got his first TD on a Luck fumble in the first quarter returned for a TD. The front 7 brought the heat all day as Long had a sack and Quinn had 2. Quinn is on pace to break K.Carter's record of 17 set back in the early 2000's. The other big story on D was the 4 interceptions, 3 by Luck and 1 by Hasselbeck. Witherspoon, subbing for Laurinaitus had a pick as did Laurinaitus, William Hayes, and Trumaine Johnson. This unit is playing great D at least for this game and we all hope they had their break-out game as well that sticks the rest of the season.

The negatives. Very little here but we continue to have ridiculous penalties. Six on the defense today. C. Long and Quinn were getting drawn off by Luck's hard count. This will have to change. Laurinaitus sustained a hip injury and an ear laceration. He'll be fine though.

On Special Teams. The positives. Austin finally got his TD on a 98-yard punt return without a penalty. He had another good return that almost broke. They played great all day and Zuerlein added a chip shot field goal for good measure and 5/5 extra points.

The negatives. None here. A Great day indeed.

We finished the season before the bye 4-6. We host the Bears at home after the bye week. So hopefully they will get rested and bring this type of total team performance against the Bears to get to 5-6.

Additionally. Despite all of the negative predictions for a blow-out by the Colts, we had a number of posters have some very clairvoyant predictions I found worth ending this analysis. KSUDodgers predicted Austin would get his first TD on a punt or KO return. He also predicted that Austin would score on a screen play, Richardson would continue to prove Cleveland right, our WRs would be better than the Colts DBs, and our D-line would dominate the Colts O-line. All of these were true. Jermaine predicted Luck would throw for over 350 yards and that C.Long would get called for being offside on a third and long. Both did. Silas and Blue were the only brave ones to pick the Rams to win although they were both off on the margin of victory. Age and treachery beats youth and angst any day! LTR had a great ride home and jacobarch predicted the Rams would be leading by the half which occurred. LOLOL!

Some of you may have to go into the prognostication business! Onward we go into the bye week and a great win to start it off.:yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
question of the day: why was the flag picked up on possible pass inference by Steward?

mikey728

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
question of the day: why was the flag picked up on possible pass inference by Steward?

I thought it was a horrible call when the flag was thrown, but I also wondered why the flag was picked up...I would still like to know...The only thing I could think of was that another official had a better view and basically overruled the PI call...Don't really know...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right Mikey728. The call was overruled on the field.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, nobody saw this coming except ksudodger. He predicted a Rams win, a defensive score, and Tavon Austin having a great game. Hats off to him. Trying to get him to give me the lottery #s for tomorrow.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to say this... let me catch my breath before I say it.... Rodger Saffold actually looked like a professional offensive lineman playing on the interior. Dare I say, he may have found his place. Now to just keep him healthy.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you KSUDodgers. I think Boudreau has stumbled onto something and Saffold really does look pretty good enough to send Dahl packing or to back-up role when he gets back. They now how a pretty big O-line and when Jones takes over for Wells, a pretty young one to boot!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you KSUDodgers. I think Boudreau has stumbled onto something and Saffold really does look pretty good enough to send Dahl packing or to back-up role when he gets back. They now how a pretty big O-line and when Jones takes over for Wells, a pretty young one to boot!

Packing sounds good, given his salary. Of course, retaining Saffold could be difficult if he still wants another shot at LT.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 weeks to work on that screen and we could have an all pro defense.....oh yeah! Go Rams!!!Go Quinn!

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did actually predict a Rams win but I was of course WAAAAAAY off on the score

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone knows now KSUDodgers that you are the man when it comes to predictions. Have you given Boss429Mustang the lottery numbers yet? He is chompin at the bit for those!!

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuse me Boss, there were others who did see this coming. Granted I didn't see 38-8, who would? But I do believe there were three guys who were smoking something funny when the final was posted. Thank you retro for seeing my post and I believe it was a time over due that got the win. I believe through my cloud I said something about prior to the bye week and Austin, oh wait it must be the haze. I just having fun guys I never saw the game, I was at NASCAR in Phoenix today and only saw the score after it was over. My wife did DVR the game and I will watch tomorrow on Veterans Day as I am off work. Oh wait a minute, is that tomorrow or its it sometime else, I forget. Great game for all that I have read and thanks like always retro for the game line.:nod:

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @ retro Age and treachery :suds:
Didn't see that happening though, but I'll take it. What pissed me off is that freaking Jacksonville beat the Titans! AN 0-8 team beat them and stopped Chris Johnson when we could do neither!! smh..I'm not going to spoil the Mon but awesome way to start the bye week.

Chilipepper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the start of a 7 game win streak. 10-6 and make the playoffs. That's what the RAMS need. I wouldn't put it past them. The running game is coming on. Clemens is looking better each game. The pass rush is coming on even more. RAMS stopped the run this game. By week now to get all fine tuned. GO RAMS.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think C. Long has lit a fire under Langford and Brockers as well Cudjo because those three have been taking a great deal of heat for getting beat inside. Also, Conrath played yesterday and looked pretty stout as did Sims, Hayes, and Cudjo. We look to be 8 deep on the D-line and and there are still others that did not play like Mason Brodine (practice squad) that could up that number to 10. If our D really jells like it did yesterday, I see the reincarnation of the '85 Bears D of whom Fisher was a member. If the O keeps pace and Clemens continues to improve with that new re-vamped bigger O-line, we may see a pretty damn good team and it is not out of the realm of possibilities to go 10-6.

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a horrible call when the flag was thrown, but I also wondered why the flag was picked up...I would still like to know...The only thing I could think of was that another official had a better view and basically overruled the PI call...Don't really know...

I was at the game Mikey and you are correct. It was a horrible call and yes it appeared the other officials basically told the guy he blew the call. I had a question of the ruffing the punter on the Rams that went uncalled. It was at the other end of the field from us but the ruling was holding on the Colts. If he was held and not pushed into the punter shouldn't there have been offsetting penalties? What did the announcers say on that one?

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think C. Long has lit a fire under Langford and Brockers as well Cudjo because those three have been taking a great deal of heat for getting beat inside. Also, Conrath played yesterday and looked pretty stout as did Sims, Hayes, and Cudjo. We look to be 8 deep on the D-line and and there are still others that did not play like Mason Brodine (practice squad) that could up that number to 10. If our D really jells like it did yesterday, I see the reincarnation of the '85 Bears D of whom Fisher was a member. If the O keeps pace and Clemens continues to improve with that new re-vamped bigger O-line, we may see a pretty damn good team and it is not out of the realm of possibilities to go 10-6.

Brockers especailly. I think he's played his best football the last few weeks.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a great game it was... Sadly, I had to work! So happy they won in Indianapolis... Very shocked and surprised. Happy for the Rams... They played hard.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They downgraded the roughing-the-passer which carries a 15-yard penalty and an automatic first down to a running-into-the-kicker (because he was blocked into their lame punter) which carries a 5-yard penalty and it was not a first down. LTR1961, check out the last paragraph of my post-game analysis. There is a mention of you.

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They downgraded the roughing-the-passer which carries a 15-yard penalty and an automatic first down to a running-into-the-kicker (because he was blocked into their lame punter) which carries a 5-yard penalty and it was not a first down. LTR1961, check out the last paragraph of my post-game analysis. There is a mention of you.

I understand that but they didn't rule that he was blocked into the kicker. They called the Colts player for holding. If it's a hold and he wasn't ruled to be blocked into the kicker there should have been two fouls on the play. It was an odd call.