• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question for the real NFL fans here

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refs are bitched about in every sport.

I've lived in rural Georgia my entire life. Football isn't a sport here, it's a religion.

Actually I can't remember more ref bitching than after the Saints no call. Like whole TV shows devoted to it. It's not the same.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly my point, which is why I don't understand how more fans aren't like me (generally detached)
I think for a long time it was just part of the game and thought of as such. Bad or missed calls as part of the game.

But it's getting worse and more magnified over the past few seasons. I think it is wearing on some (I know it has with me) and if it doesn't get fixed more and more people will start to feel detatched.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I can't remember more ref bitching than after the Saints no call. Like whole TV shows devoted to it. It's not the same.
Royals/Cardinals WS is comparable, imo. Different era but prob remembered the same on both sides.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think for a long time it was just part of the game and thought of as such. Bad or missed calls as part of the game.

But it's getting worse and more magnified over the past few seasons. I think it is wearing on some (I know it has with me) and if it doesn't get fixed more and more people will start to feel detatched.

That makes sense.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really follow the sport closely, so I have a question for you guys who do.

Every game thread is at least 50% complaining about refereeing. Winning team fans, losing team fans, doesn't matter. It's all serious or snarky takes on the refs and who paid them more, how blind they are, etc. Every drive: refs saved them, refs killed them. Every drive.

And this year, with the Saints no-call debacle, it symbolizes the problem.

So, I get that you grew up watching with your dad, and you have your team and tribe, and you pay close attention so you care what happens. But then the whistle blows and it's all refs this and refs that.

Add in the brain damage, the girl beating, the anthem bullshit....why are you still watching? Anyone plan to make a change after this awful SB?

I blame the refs for this post! Without the refs, no way this post happens!

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You must not have been around Atlanta when Sam Holbrook called that infield fly. I was sitting in the front row in left field trying not to get hit by beer bottles coming from the upper deck.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Royals/Cardinals WS is comparable, imo. Different era but prob remembered the same on both sides.

Yes I thought of that. But look at the game thread tonight. EVERY drive, refs this refs that. He missed that call! That call was BS! Refs saved Patriots there! Refs killed Rams there!

It's not like that every inning of a baseball game.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must not have been around Atlanta when Sam Holbrook called that infield fly. I was sitting in the front row in left field trying not to get hit by beer bottles coming from the upper deck.

I am happy to say you are correct, I was not.

And again, no whole TV segments about it.

You say football is a religion down there...well, lots of folks aren't that into religion either.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What annoys me really about any sport (MLB/NFL especially, NBA flopping is out of control though) is we have the technology to remove a LARGE part of the human element of error.

For MLB: The computer strikezone is EXTREMELY accurate, and at least we all know it plays fair whether it misses a call 0.001% of the time. And there's none of that 'makeup' shit when an ump clearly blows it. Have the fat fuck ump still stand back there with an earpiece and he can call the computer communication for the 70+ year old fucks out there that whine about tradition.

As for NFL: I HARDLY expect 7 refs to be able to monitor all 22 guys running 4.4s, stretch the field or in a mass pile of 10 fatass 300 lb men with hands everywhere when most plays are happening in 3-10 seconds. Fuckin' kidding me? BUT, we have TONS of high def camera angles that capture just about everything that are able to see it. So why in the fuck are we relying on the human eye from 7 guys to catch everything?

I can hardly blame refs from any sport a hard time anymore, because with all the HD and camera angles + tech we have today EVERYONE sees it. So I tend to get annoyed with people blaming the refs.

Who I DO blame is those organizations for not coming up with a better fucking way to review something that has a HUGE monetary impact on individuals let alone Championship chances for a team.

We also have the technology to remove most of the participants in every sport. And BTW....who is going to pay for all this technology? The owners? LOL The players, through lost salary? LMAO. Why - I bet it will be YOU. Doh!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also have the technology to remove most of the participants in every sport. And BTW....who is going to pay for all this technology? The owners? LOL The players, through lost salary? LMAO. Why - I bet it will be YOU. Doh!

Uh... they already did pay for it. With booth reviews/cameras that provide HD angles on almost every play... and a strike zone that shows on every screen. WTF are you talking about?

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may have been the worst SB ever. But that's the way it goes. Some great playoff games and an equal amount of great regular season games.

Great coaching killed off a great deal of the offense of both teams.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I thought of that. But look at the game thread tonight. EVERY drive, refs this refs that. He missed that call! That call was BS! Refs saved Patriots there! Refs killed Rams there!

It's not like that every inning of a baseball game.
Right, the NFL has gotten to the point the NBA was at back in the Laker days when every fan thinks its rigged.

The NFL has a single-elimination playoff. Its only going to get worse.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am happy to say you are correct, I was not.

And again, no whole TV segments about it.

You say football is a religion down there...well, lots of folks aren't that into religion either.

That was the talk of Sportscenter and MLB Network for a while. It was the first ever Wild Card Game.

College football is a way bigger deal than the NFL around here(Champ Bailey wasn't wrong when he said Atlanta was Bulldog Country, not Falcons country). But we all love football.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the talk of Sportscenter and MLB Network for a while. It was the first ever Wild Card Game.

College football is a way bigger deal than the NFL around here(Champ Bailey wasn't wrong when he said Atlanta was Bulldog Country, not Falcons country). But we all love football.

I'm aware of how it is. Just don't buy in. And I went to high school in suburban Houston.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes sense.
Also to your point I think you're not alone in this. The state of NFL officiating is being talked about and under fire more in the past few years than I can remember, both at a fan and media level. And it seems like it's getting heightened every year.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh... they already did pay for it. With booth reviews/cameras that provide HD angles on almost every play... and a strike zone that shows on every screen. WTF are you talking about?

How about cable running under the field that can detect movement? How about drone and/or satellite coverage of each game to better track the movement of the ball, puck, or whatever....not to mention player movement. Ultrasonic listening devices, instant notification of contact between whatever objects you which to monitor. Hell dude...sports hasn't even touched the surface of the technology that is available. Either go all out....or sticks with people.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about cable running under the field that can detect movement? How about drone and/or satellite coverage of each game to better track the movement of the ball, puck, or whatever....not to mention player movement. Ultrasonic listening devices, instant notification of contact between whatever objects you which to monitor. Hell dude...sports hasn't even touched the surface of the technology that is available. Either go all out....or sticks with people.

If there's one thing that's always irked me a bit is the inexact spots of the football. I wish they'd do something like tennis uses to determine exactly where the ball should be placed.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

giphy.gif

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly my point, which is why I don't understand how more fans aren't like me (generally detached)
It's flawed no doubt but I think that we all hope that one day it will be fixed. Football is my religion so either way you can't leave haha! Other sports have done well especially hockey so there's hope...