• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL: Is Calvin Johnson A Top-3 Wide Receiver Of All Time?

Is Calvin Johnson A Top-3 Wide Receiver Of All Time?

• Yes

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • No

Votes: 58 87.9%

• Total voters

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched both players for their entire careers. Rice had two of the best QB's in the history of the game throwing him the ball for most of his career, go back and look at some of his highlites, you won't see him having to make the amazing catch very often the ball was almost always right there. Rice was obviously much smarter, kept himself in top shape, his work ethic was unmatched and it's not as if I said Rice sucked but having watched both play their entire careers there is absolutely no question Moss was more feared by defensive co-ordinators and defensive backs. I think people tend to romanticize Rice because he was so good for so long and put up such amazing numbers but he wasn't just an absolute freak of nature like Moss was.

You do know that during his breakout season of 1986, when Montana missed roughly half the season and Young wasn't on the team, Rice put up better numbers with the likes of Jeff Kemp and Mike Moroski throwing him the ball? Moss may be a more physical freak, but make no mistake that defenses feared and game planned for Rice as much as any receiver in the history of professional football. You don't set standards that are several notches higher than your contemporaries and not get that attention.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gannon wasn't an AllPro every year Rice was there.

2 for 4 in that department. His other two PB nods were when Jerry was across the bay still.
Yeah, I looked it up after I wrote it. Rice also had 1.5 years in OAK where he was just some average WR. He is still the luckiest great WR even if he is the greatest.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Calvin Johnson....he's certainly in the conversation myself for top 3 'talent.' When I think of the absolute elite receivers that I've personally seen, I list them as Paul Warfield, John Jefferson, Jerry Rice, Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson. They just set themselves apart from the guys of their respective eras.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hes not even a 1st ballot HOF'er not by a longshot, he just didnt play long enough

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rice had plenty of great games without Montana and Young throwing him the ball. I remember when Grbac came in for an injured Steve Young and he just kept dominating. He put up 170+ yard 3 TD games with Jeff Kemp throwing to him.

Yes to be goat you need to be great and in a good situation. And remember only New Orleans threw the ball more than Detroit in Calvin's career.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm an ATL guy, CJ is an ATL guy...I'd like to say yes, but I voted no.

Top 3 talent, but 9 seasons, great production, but no playoff games, yardage ranks in the 20s alltime I think...not all his fault obviously, but he is a HOFer...I have backed off my 1st ballot thinking though...he doesn't go in w/ Manning imo.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be my list as well...Fitz gets the 3rd slot because he had more playoff impact imo.

He friggin beat the Eagles in the the 2008 NFCCG all by himself. Just a stud. He's been doing it a long time too.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He friggin beat the Eagles in the the 2008 NFCCG all by himself. Just a stud. He's been doing it a long time too.
He was absolutely a stud in that playoff run but he only broke 100yds twice in 2014 and only had 2 TDs, twice in 2013 with 10 TDs, twice in 2012 with 4 TDs. 2015 was a bit of a renaissance and he still wasnt on Calvin Johnson's level in his last year. Fitz was a borderline #2 WR for awhile.

So imo Fitz really hasnt been doing it for a long while. He has just been solid for awhile.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was absolutely a stud in that playoff run but he only broke 100yds twice in 2014 and only had 2 TDs, twice in 2013 with 10 TDs, twice in 2012 with 4 TDs. 2015 was a bit of a renaissance and he still wasnt on Calvin Johnson's level in his last year. Fitz was a borderline #2 WR for awhile.

So imo Fitz really hasnt been doing it for a long while. He has just been solid for awhile.

His down years correlate with the down years of QB play in Arizona.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His down years correlate with the down years of QB play in Arizona.
They do. But he was just a guy for a few years and not a star. You could have had any number of WRs have his numbers this year in Arizona's offense, too.

Fitz is much closer to top 10 than top 3.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin had top 3 talent but it wasn't until Detroit found a QB to throw him the ball, that he started putting up truly elite numbers.

His first few years he had the likes of Fat Daunte Culpepper, Jon Kitna, Dan Orvlosky, and I believe Ty Detmer. Detroit drafted Stafford, but his 1st two years in the league, they were calling him a China doll because of injuries.

Would have loved to see what Calvin could have done on a team with an established NFL QB. Some of the coverages used against Calvin you just don't ever see. New Orleans took double teaming a WR to a whole new level, by lining up 2 CBs on Calvin in the red zone and treating him as a gunner on punt coverage. :)

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As was stated: He isn't because he didn't play long enough.

If he would have stuck around for another 3-4 years then he definately could have been argued as a top all-time WR. As it is now, he was a dominant guy who didn't play long enough to compile the stats to say that he was top-3 or even top-5. I would say it definately could be argued that he is in the top-10 area though.

The old longevity vs. domination arguement. I am sure fans of every team have an example of a player who would have been beyond spectacular if it wasn't for injury or other circumstances. In fact, I think that I will start a thread on it.